all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Loaded Carries

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Nylon web type w/ plastic buckles, like used for backpacks. You can get 1/2 or 1 inch or wider and either the heavy buckles used like for hip strap or just tie knot. A gi belt might even work.

Bigger bells, or loaded dumbbells, or loadable farmers walk bars. The trouble w/ dumbbell handles, IMHO, is that with big plates, you have to hold the weights too far from your sides.

-S-

A strap is my suggestion. I imagine most webbing straps are suitable. Check out a hardware store. Or an outdoor store that has climbing equipment. They usually sell rope and straps by the foot.

With dumbell handles I start with smaller plates on the inside and get bigger towards the ends. This sometimes remedies the problem

Strap with what ? What can hold up to and over 68kg without breaking ? definitely not my old belt lmao.
I recently bought my daughter a tree swing that was part of a "set". It included two heavy duty two strap-type handled-straps that we were not able to put to use on the tree. So I put them to use in my yard for carrying various implements. Looped one end through a heavy iron block I have and then grabbed both handles to do farmer's walks. Then looped one end through a bunch of weight plates and carried those around the yard - again, grabbed both handles in one hand. Also looped one end through a few kettlebells to farmer's walk those and it held up very well.

I don't think there is a weight that a human could hold in one hand that would break these tow straps is what I'm getting at.

If you want me to include a picture of what type of tow strap I'm talking about, I gladly will.

Open loop slings (for climbing) could be well suited. You could sling them through the KB handles and use a bar for carrying. (Like a short bar for dumbbells or a different handle. Maybe even a wooden ring.) I think it would work with both one or two open loop slings.

A pair of olympic rings are all you need to bind a couple of bells together (those ring straps are mightly strong) and take your loaded carries to the next level.

Open loop slings (for climbing) could be well suited. You could sling them through the KB handles and use a bar for carrying. (Like a short bar for dumbbells or a different handle. Maybe even a wooden ring.) I think it would work with both one or two open loop slings.
Since handle needs only be long enough to hold in one hand (8" ?) even 1 inch PVC pipe likely plenty strong if no other bar available. Photo of pretty usable strap at link, rated for 9800 lbs and already has loops at ends to stick over bar handle

Nylon Lifting Sling - Straight Eye & Eye - 1" x 3'

Since handle needs only be long enough to hold in one hand (8" ?) even 1 inch PVC pipe likely plenty strong if no other bar available. Photo of pretty usable strap at link, rated for 9800 lbs and already has loops at ends to stick over bar handle

Nylon Lifting Sling - Straight Eye & Eye - 1" x 3'
The pipe is a good idea. You can get different diameters. I would use a simple webbing sling and thread it through the centre of the pipe. And then get what we call in climbing a 'chicken sling'. With that you can thread together KB's, weight plates, whatever...

Loaded Carries, specifically Farmers' Walks, have been a magic bullet for me. I weight 210~215. At my workout's end I would normally carry two 48Kg bells seven times total (212 lbs total) for 150, 200, or 300 feet. One time I did 420 feet (127 meters). From there I increased to 48Kg/56Kg carries; usually 150~200 feet five to seven times. I'd simply swap weights between carries. From there it was 56Kg/68Kg carries, then double 68Kg (300 lbs) for 50 or 100 feet. Lately I have been using the trap bar. 315 lbs for 100~150 feet, normally five turns. This morning it was 335 lbs for 125 feet (38 meters) twice and 165 feet (50 meters) once.

My takeaway? Now when I swing the 56Kg I can easily hit 10 swings with a distinct float at the top. My jumping has slightly improved; as during my workout I jump up to an 8 1/2~9 foot tall bar for pullups and that is definitely easier. I am running 400 meters faster at a heavier weight, plus my lats and arms are more pronounced. I will soon test a max deadlift and see if it has increased from 435 lbs last year. Mind you, I am 54 so jumping improvement is significant.
You are not 54. You are a machine, sir.

You are not 54. You are a machine, sir.
Dang @WxHerk that's quite a progression!

I want to spend more time with carries this summer. Right now it's just 6-10 lengths (75 feet) of my backyard with 2x32kg. When I get to 10 lengths with not more rest needed in the later rounds, I'll see if I can grip 2x16 additional for 2x48 total, start back at 4-6 lengths and work back up.

After that, maybe eventually I'll build myself some farmer's walk handles so I can take it beyond 100 pounds per hand:
https://external-preview.redd.it/57...bp&s=8cfef5999fbd5ee5a8b0495498f3a1d95c8c07ea

Strenght isnt in issue for me. My problem is lower back pain when walking a few meters when the load is 24/32kg.
Which muscles do you contract in order to prevent your lower back from pain? Id tense my glutes like I do at halos or swings, but since Im on the move I cant.
When I am tensing abs and glutes in this situation, I envision packing around my spine, equal pressure from all directions, like you're swaddling it.

Dang @WxHerk that's quite a progression!

I want to spend more time with carries this summer. Right now it's just 6-10 lengths (75 feet) of my backyard with 2x32kg. When I get to 10 lengths with not more rest needed in the later rounds, I'll see if I can grip 2x16 additional for 2x48 total, start back at 4-6 lengths and work back up.

After that, maybe eventually I'll build myself some farmer's walk handles so I can take it beyond 100 pounds per hand:
https://external-preview.redd.it/57...bp&s=8cfef5999fbd5ee5a8b0495498f3a1d95c8c07ea
fwmini2.jpg

These Titan Fitness Mini Farmer's Walk handles are $55 with shipping included. I don't work for them or get any kickbacks. But that is a great deal and will be pretty close to what you spend on the parts for the cool 4x4 farmer's walk handles. I don't own a pair of these TF handles, but an acquaintance let me load his up and take them for a walk after I saw he had a pair the other day. I had four 55s on each side and they were rock solid. Never seen the design before and it is pretty ingenious and a space saver.

Last edited:
These Titan Fitness Mini Farmer's Walk handles are $55 with shipping included. I don't work for them or get any kickbacks. But that is a great deal and will be pretty close to what you spend on the parts for the cool 4x4 farmer's walk handles. I don't own a pair of these TF handles, but an acquaintance let me load his up and take them for a walk after I saw he had a pair the other day. I had four 55s on each side and they were rock solid. Never seen the design before and it is pretty ingenious and a space saver.
Looks pretty nice (especially for the price). When you tried them, do they stand on their own? Do you set one up (upright), set it down on the spindle side, set up the other one, then have to finagle to get them both gripped before you go? I would want to know they can "fall" outwards (after setting down) at the end of the walk and be ok.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom