all posts post new thread

Barbell Loaded Carry Comment

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It is sadly not always practical in our busy and exhausting modern lives to program in a strict exercise regimen, so ad hoc lifts are important for most of us.

I totally agree about carries. You can carry the kettlebell as a suitcase, in the rack position or over head, and walk around with it. I've found strong carry over effects of this kind of training to judo. I had to do these for a while while my shoulder was healing.

I got a pair of loadable 20" long Oly dumbbells and have been doing a TGU and carries workout for 17 days as of yesterday. I scaled it so I could do it daily and have done. Today I just felt like I wanted a variety day so used the dumbbells but loaded them up a lot more and did fewer TGU's, deadlifts, and squats and that's all. DL's and SQ's I did 2X5. I don't know my RM1 and never have bothered to find out but I was clearly stronger than I have been and particularly my grip has dramatically improved. I have also been doing dead hangs for 1 minute each, 5-7 times/day; whenever I think of it I do one. So definitely a "grip centric" training program for now. My tentative plan is to do this for couple months then go to an Easy Strength, more standard program

Farmer carry on upper body day or lower body day?
Right now all I am doing is TGU's and carries so nearly every day for me. When I get to next phase in another 4-6 weeks I will be doing a straight Easy Strength so pretty much daily as well. All parts, upper and lower, every session.

Finally got around to getting a barbell; only had the loadable dumbbells. Couple days ago I started doing a straight Easy Strength protocol so much less carrying. I finish w/ 2 Farmer's X 100 yards. It seems to me that carries are more neurologically taxing than the basic lifts, probably due to the long time under tension without a break. Regular lifting, there's a brief let up after every rep which seems to make a big difference to me.

Finally got around to getting a barbell; only had the loadable dumbbells. Couple days ago I started doing a straight Easy Strength protocol so much less carrying. I finish w/ 2 Farmer's X 100 yards. It seems to me that carries are more neurologically taxing than the basic lifts, probably due to the long time under tension without a break. Regular lifting, there's a brief let up after every rep which seems to make a big difference to me.
Yup.

It doesn’t seem like much is going on, but in reality, there is. I like Dan John’s Q and A about loaded carries:

Q: What muscles does this work?
A: All of them.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom