all posts post new thread

Bodyweight loading up crawling [relatively inexpensively]

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

I know there's a lot of crawling going on in the forum.

If you've ever wanted a way to "tow" things while you crawl, try the forearm forklift strap + carabiner . Ends up costing you about $20 all together, and then you can tow whatever you want.

in the video I use a chain but I've used plates, non-adjustable dumbbells, rocks, etc... anything you can "drag" that is relatively heavy and with good friction. there's a big log in my yard that I'm going to attach a hook to so I can tow it.

a chain is the best option honestly but you gotta do what you gotta do

I has a similar setup with a moving strap I had at home. I tied it with a bowline-on-a-bight knot to make and infinity "loop" out of it. It makes it easier to crawl forward. I use it to drag sandbags on the beach. The bag is light but the friction with the deep sand makes it very challenging.

Sand definitely changes things.

The other option that’s quite inexpensive that I remember from my CK-FMS back in the day, was a cook band around the shoulders with a partner behind. It’s not as good as dragging chain but it’s much cheaper...

Sand definitely changes things.

The other option that’s quite inexpensive that I remember from my CK-FMS back in the day, was a cook band around the shoulders with a partner behind. It’s not as good as dragging chain but it’s much cheaper...
But this requires one to interact with another person. :eek:

Just have to chop them up first(y)

More seriously - what about pushing something instead of strapping it to oneself to drag it?

That would look more like a prowler no? (I've always wanted one of those). Down the line after a few goals have been met, I'd like to start crawling with my weighted vest

That would look more like a prowler no? (I've always wanted one of those). Down the line after a few goals have been met, I'd like to start crawling with my weighted vest
I guess....? I don’t really know. Just thinking through the “feel” of strapping something to myself to drag, as opposed to not strapping myself to anything and just pushing it, sounded more comfortable.

In both OS Performance book Tim Anderson advise against it. He says the loading pattern on the spine is wrong (shear instead of compression) and that towing is a much better choice. Weighted vest are useful upright.
I think someone mentioned recently that he's changed his tune on this one?

I think someone mentioned recently that he's changed his tune on this one?
That was me :)
Original Strength on Instagram: “This is the Shackle Crawl. A good ole John Brookfield fav. . This morning both @tim_sonofander and I (@daninicolea ) set out a clock…”
From the comments:
Question - "In the OS Performance book you say that is better non to wear a weighted vest during crawling due to shearing forces in the vertebras. Did you change opinion/idea? Thanks!"
Tim's answer - "yes! I now believe the spine is way more resilient to handle a 20 pound weight vest. Or even 100 pounder - evenly distributed. I enjoy weight vest on occasion now and find them to be a useful tool. Thanks for the question!"

That was me :)
Original Strength on Instagram: “This is the Shackle Crawl. A good ole John Brookfield fav. . This morning both @tim_sonofander and I (@daninicolea ) set out a clock…”
From the comments:
Question - "In the OS Performance book you say that is better non to wear a weighted vest during crawling due to shearing forces in the vertebras. Did you change opinion/idea? Thanks!"
Tim's answer - "yes! I now believe the spine is way more resilient to handle a 20 pound weight vest. Or even 100 pounder - evenly distributed. I enjoy weight vest on occasion now and find them to be a useful tool. Thanks for the question!"

So this... :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom