all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Locking up at bottom of swing

jrjones

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello

I’ve been on the S&S program for 14 months working towards Simple. I was completing 32kg single arm swing in months 10 and 11. In month 12 I adjusted my swing technique using a little less hinge in the down position which I later realized wasn’t a good idea. At that time I noticed myself periodically locking up in the down position. It got to the point where I had trouble completing 10 consecutive swings. I decided to reduce the weight to 24KG / 3 and 32KG / 2. Currently I am using 24KG / 2 and 32KG / 3. I am now at a point where locking up at the bottom only occurs intermittently and usually later in the workout.

The book says using too much power / force can cause locking out but im not sure that’s the case. Does anyone have insight they can share on this topic or experienced this before?

Funny thing is that I thought my getups would get to simple timeless last but it turns out I am waiting on my swing.

@Brett Jones - appreciate your follow up. Attached are a couple videos, front and side views. During this workout I used 24KG, 32KG, 32KG, 32KG, 24KG. Your watching the videos from set 4, the last set with 32KG. I wait till my heart rate is ~100 BPM before progressing. You'll notice I fail between repetition 9 and 10 in these videos. When I say I am locking up in the down position I mean I fail and unable to produce another rep/complete 10 reps and it usually occurs when the KB is back in the hike position as you'll see in the videos. After making these videos and analysis I think I know the cause but interested in your perspective. Thanks,

Swing Front Video
Swing Side Video

@Brett Jones - appreciate your follow up. Attached are a couple videos, front and side views. During this workout I used 24KG, 32KG, 32KG, 32KG, 24KG. Your watching the videos from set 4, the last set with 32KG. I wait till my heart rate is ~100 BPM before progressing. You'll notice I fail between repetition 9 and 10 in these videos. When I say I am locking up in the down position I mean I fail and unable to produce another rep/complete 10 reps and it usually occurs when the KB is back in the hike position as you'll see in the videos. After making these videos and analysis I think I know the cause but interested in your perspective. Thanks,

Swing Front Video
Swing Side Video
I am not an expert at all, not even a beginner. There is a drill from Sokol to test the form. Pavel Macek has some videos with benches as well. I am sure some others will make some comments for improvement, but I am no where to make any suggestions on Swing form. Congratulations on your hard work.

@jrjones
Interested to know what you think is causing it?

Did you spend any time working on your KB deadlift?

It looks like you are fighting to have your "chest up" instead of hinging and allowing the chest to be 45 degree angle to the ground and the hips are going "up and down" instead of back and then extending.

Spending some time on the KB DL would help IMO.

@Brett Jones - appreciate your feedback. I think the issue is a combination of fatigue towards the end of the set and form per your comments. Looking at the video @Ege shared i have some work to do to decrease the squat and increase the hinge in my swing. Ill spend more time on KB DL per your suggestion. Thanks!

Swing Front Video
Swing Side Video
The goal of simple and sinister is to complete the 1 arm swings with the bell floating straight out with the lats packed and the bell just below shoulder (or right at it) height I think the 32 is still a bit heavy. Also the swings looked a tad bit squatty you can bend the knees but remember it’s still a hinge. Lastly use your off hand to create momentum by swinging the off arm back with the bell and occasionally you can even extend the off arm and tap the bell with your off hand or bring it strong to your chest. Hope this helps.

Here’s a great tutorial that helped me.

Last edited:
@jrjones
Interested to know what you think is causing it?

Did you spend any time working on your KB deadlift?

It looks like you are fighting to have your "chest up" instead of hinging and allowing the chest to be 45 degree angle to the ground and the hips are going "up and down" instead of back and then extending.

Spending some time on the KB DL would help IMO.
Hi @jrjones,

Good question and you have a strong start!

Yes, echoing @Brett Jones that your "hips are going 'up and down' instead of back and then extending."

In your swing, there is not enough forward-backward movement in the hips, and there is too much forward-backward movement in the knees.

Head to 5:57 in this video to learn a drill (the "butt to the wall" drill) that will help you find the correct hip hinge movement in the swing:

Also, here's a quick kettlebell swing tutorial. There might be some handy tidbits in here for you as well.

Great job staying square and "anti-rotated" in the one-arm swing!

Keep up the strong work!

Back
Top Bottom