all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Long Cycle C&P

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

Did someone already try something like a long cylce Clean & Press, for about 45 minutes, 3x a week. The idea would be to do the thing very "aerobically", without rushing.

I am considering this to change a little from S&S (currently running timeless Simple day in day out for a few month now). I know the C&P also maintains excellent level of overall strength because when I ran RoP with 24 it took me only a few sessions to get to the 32 GU (I already did Simple before).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@jef
Thank you very much for your link.

Do you know if it could become a stand alone program if one does sets of 2 or 3 instead of singles ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Do you know if it could become a stand alone program if one does sets of 2 or 3 instead of singles ?
The main question is: what is your goal?

I read in your first post:
- changing from S&S
- keeping strength
- no rushing (keeping things aerobically).

I would follow Strength aerobics to the letter. A chain on one side, fast and loose, a chain on the other side, fast and loose. Repeat.

Hello,

@jef
Thanks for answering

Basically, I do not feel I gain much more strength now I do S&S day in day out. My goal is not to go heavier because GU becomes then a very specific move.

My goal then is to keep my "conditioning" (which I mainly got with S&S) but also increasing my overall strength. 3x a week is my choice due to personal schedule (hectic hours of work, conveniency and fatigue management).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, LC CJ are good in general. You need to be good at jerks, though. Not that easy as it looks to be done properly.

There are quite a few Strong endurance programs that feature LCCJ. I may try one day for a few weeks for fun.

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I enjoy the C&P because it has both a ballistic and a grind. I feel I get more benefits from C&P than C&J

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I enjoy the C&P because it has both a ballistic and a grind. I feel I get more benefits from C&P than C&J

Kind regards,

Pet'

What about Bryce Lanes 50/20 using C&P or C&PP. Aim to do 50 reps in 20 mins?

PP is still a bit of a grind to lockout but you use momentum to get out of the weakest part of the MP.

What about Bryce Lanes 50/20 using C&P or C&PP. Aim to do 50 reps in 20 mins?
It doesn’t address the original question directly but it’s an approach to training that has worked well for a number of people.

-S-

No reason you couldn't do A+A with C+P.

Figure out how many reps you can get in 10-15 seconds and figure out what weight is sustainable for 15-40 sets. Pretty sure Geoff has outright stated KB Strong! is easily modified to A+A.

Hello,

@Steve Freides & @Cearball
I did not know Bryce Lanes 50/20, sounds great !

Do I get it right with 25 per side (assuming I use single bell) ? Indeed, in function of the source, I sometimes read 2 kettlebell C&P.

Figure out how many reps you can get in 10-15 seconds and figure out what weight is sustainable for 15-40 sets. Pretty sure Geoff has outright stated KB Strong! is easily modified to A+A.
Sure it would lead to an impressive GPP program, which interests me a lot !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I did not know Bryce Lanes 50/20, sounds great !

Do I get it right with 25 per side (assuming I use single bell) ? Indeed, in function of the source, I sometimes read 2 kettlebell C&P.
The program is designed for big, compound movements. I think the barbell C&P was a popular one. I don't know that you're really doing the 50/20 if you do it with a single kettlebell press, but certainly the idea of Escalating Density Training is similar, and you'd be doing that.

-S-

I agree with Steve, the 50/20 can certainly be done with a single kettlebell but if I remember correctly the barbell or two dumbbells/kettlebells were a more optimal choice. It's a great protocol but it's quite exhausting!

The "problem" that I would envision with a single dumbbell or kettlebell in the 50/20 would be doing 50 rounds per side as an "end goal" so to speak....making more like 100 total reps. (I certainly may be wrong about this as Bryce no longer seems to posting anything) ....also not saying that's bad thing but not exactly 50/20 intent in my mind.

Last edited:
Hello,

@Steve Freides & @John Grahill
Thank you for your answers !

I asked because unfortunately, I do not have pairs of bells.

So it seems like to get the same overall work (even if it would not be the same "stimuli"), I'd aim to to 50 per side, as John stated. A lot of pressing !

Kind regards,

Pet'

The "problem" that I would envision with a single dumbbell or kettlebell in the 50/20 would be doing 50 rounds per side as an "end goal" so to speak....making more like 100 total reps.
I think that's right. First of all, when we talk about programs like the ROP, 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 is all we write down, but we do it for both hands.

The other thing to say is that one can easily enough tweak the parameters to have more of a strength-endurance focus, e.g., if you're working on your SSST, which is 200 snatches in 10:00, you could take a similar approach.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom