all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Long sets below MAF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paotle

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,
I would like to know if someone trains continuously below MAF with KB. Not in A+A style (anaerobic effort + aerobic recovery), but only aerobically without any rest and lower weight.

I know that in girevoy (KB sport), they execute longer sets, but as fas as i know it's done in a highly lactic/glycolytic manner (Z3 or Z4). Do they train with lighter weight to stay below MAF without rest? They run a lot below MAF, but do they train their aerobic system with KB?

Best,

Hi,
I would like to know if someone trains continuously below MAF with KB. Not in A+A style (anaerobic effort + aerobic recovery), but only aerobically without any rest and lower weight.

I know that in girevoy (KB sport), they execute longer sets, but as fas as i know it's done in a highly lactic/glycolytic manner (Z3 or Z4). Do they train with lighter weight to stay below MAF without rest? They run a lot below MAF, but do they train their aerobic system with KB?

Best,

That’s something I’ve been thinking about for a long time, but never tried.

Hi,

Best,
I think a lot of those folks also run.

I don't think a lot of GS training is done with lighter than competition weight. When I was training this way, the wisdom was that you trained set lengths of 6-8 minutes as prep for 10 minute sets in competition, and you used your competition weight if you'd reached that point in your training. Typically snatch workouts were snatches and followed by swings with a heavier weight. But in order to reach your desired competition weight, you would start lighter, work up to the required 10 minutes or even longer, and then move to a heavier weight and gradually build up your time again.

-S-

I think a lot of those folks also run.

I don't think a lot of GS training is done with lighter than competition weight. When I was training this way, the wisdom was that you trained set lengths of 6-8 minutes as prep for 10 minute sets in competition, and you used your competition weight if you'd reached that point in your training. Typically snatch workouts were snatches and followed by swings with a heavier weight. But in order to reach your desired competition weight, you would start lighter, work up to the required 10 minutes or even longer, and then move to a heavier weight and gradually build up your time again.

-S-
Thanks @Steve Freides. Yes, they do some aerobic training (running, biking). But the protocole you mentionned were always done in HR Z3-Z4 or below MAF (aerobic threshol / Z2)? I'm interested in building a aerobic base using KB.

I'm interested in building a aerobic base using KB.
The way one could accomplish this is to use a slow pace, a light weight, and movements that have a position in which, while still holding the kettlebell, some amount of rest can be achieved. Examples: 1-bell clean, 1-bell snatch. Perform one rep every 6 seconds, switch hands as necessary, resting in the rack position for the clean and the overhead position for the snatch. Put on a HR monitor and try it with a light bell. Obviously doing this for the snatch requires sufficient overhead mobility to relax somewhat with the bell overhead. Grab a light-for-you bell and give these a try.

-S-

Toshner's presented some programs with KB for aerobic work in StrongEndurance. I would imagine part of All-Terrain Conditioning as well.

IMO, maybe this is against the grain here...if you want to build an aerobic base, maybe pick more aerobic specific work? Is there a reason you want to use the KB to accomplish this (ie are you stuck inside, quarantine, bad weather to do outdoor cardio, no gym, etc.)?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom