all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Long-steady cardio with a broken toe and no equipment

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
This post is both a cry for help and a challenging mental experiment.

A few days ago I broke my smallest toe. I still can perform Q&D and some additional strength exercises, however Muay Thai, rope skipping and long-slow running is impossible.
The next two weeks I'm going to my hometown where I will have no access to any orbitrek or air bike, rower or any other cardio machine that would make LSD training possible.
Does anybody has any idea what steady-state activity would elevate my heart-rate to 120-140 bpm for 40-60mins and would not hurt the broke toe. I was thinking escrima twirls, but I don't think 1. you can reach the desired heart rate 2. it's good for your rotator cuff to twirl for 40min.
If you have any ideas to save the day - I pay in likes :)

Hello,

@Pasibrzuch
If you have clubbells, maybe you can keep training.

Are bodyweight squat an option (with a very flat feet on a relatively soft surface such as a thick carpet for instance) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Don't worry about it is my counsel.
If in two weeks you are back where you can access a rower or a bike you will be fine. The time should also the break to heal up a bit if you are careful, and don't try to do things that might be adverse to the break.

Does anybody has any idea what steady-state activity would elevate my heart-rate to 120-140 bpm for 40-60mins and would not hurt the broke toe.

I agree with @offwidth, you might be better off to just take a break from it.

But if you have a very light kettlebell you can do a continuous complex and an easy pace. I have a little 10 lb kettlebell that serves the purpose well. Just stand and randomly swing, snatch, press, squat, clean, maybe add a reverse get-up, windmill, push press, jerk, bent press... don't try to do it hardstyle, just ease off on the tension and enjoy the flow of it.

Step-ups on stairs, you can keep the foot relatively neutral without too much toe extension. Fill some grocery bags to make it harder; not fancy, but eh, it works. On the other hand, rest is probably a good idea too as stated already.

First off, I feel you in the fact that broken toes suck and they hurt. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but there's not much you can really do to nurse it. Back in my judo days, I broke my toes all the time on the old mats. They would hurt, but I just taped them up and kept training. It seems like it took about a month or 2 to feel normal. The worst one was when I broke my pinky toe to where it stuck out 90 degrees from my foot. I just taped it up to the next toe as a splint, took a few days off and resumed working out. That one bothered me for 2 to 3 months. Not trying to sound insensitive, but there's not a lot you can do. Good luck.!

an update from me. I hope in the future it will be of benefit for the users with the same injury.
So, after about 1 week, when I was able to walk without any pain and no compesation in my gate cycle, I tried substituting jogging with brisk walking and, after a week or so, rucking. Just make sure your shoes are sturdy enough and don't put pressure on the broken toe. With proper load you will elevate your HR to the necessary level and you should be able to do your cardio painlessly.

Also, I am astonished how rucking serves me better than jogging, but this is a topic for a separate thread.

Also, I am astonished how rucking serves me better than jogging
You're in good company. I'm currently reading Heinrich Harrer's book about his escape and refuge in Tibet. Among the many skills he relied on for survival was rucking, including rucking when he was not feeling perfect. Of course, he also relied on climbing, running with loads, jumping, swimming, wading, balancing, and dealing with ridiculous weather changes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom