all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Looking for a valid resistance band routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello everybody,

actually not really bodyweight but thought it would be the closest.
Anyhow, I recently met again with an old friend from school. Sadly, things weren't going too well for him the last years. He was diagnosed with severe mental problems. He has always been overweight and his medication also doesn't help too much.
I suggested basic bodyweight training to him by using a sturdy, adjustble door pullup bar (for pushup and row progressions) but he only has wooden door frames which would possibly splinter. S & S is another option and I could actually help him with that.
I thought about resistance bands as a space-friendly possibly effective (?) modality to train at home (due to his mentl state I highly doubt he would regularly hit the gym).
Are there any good, valid programmes based on resistance bands? I'd want him to get stronger, build some muscle and get more healthy overall. But most of all get him into regular exercise.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Hello,

@Marc
In addition to what Anna said, you can also go for isometric training.

There are plenty of protocols available. Bob Hoffman's "Functional Isometric Contraction" can be an alternative. This is extremely time effective, and requires close to no space.

As far as resistance band training goes, I'd simply stick to the very basic moves (deadlift, press, row). Depending on what he is looking for, it is possible to adjust the type of band:
- very thick to stick to the 3-5 rep range and train strength
- moderately thick to get to the 6-12 rep range for mass
- thin for muscle endurance, with 15+ reps

Regarding the program, it may highly depends on his history (injury, etc...) and goals. Nonetheless, I'd go for a simple program, such as a Daily Dose (no time, very efficient) or even PTTP

Nonetheless, but my be this is indiscret - in this case, no answer is required - why do you want to use resistance bands ? Indeed, a very solid approach can be The Naked Warrior (of course, a band may be interesting for the DL and the row to get something "complete").

Pet'

Thank you very much to both of you!

@pet' It doesn't have to be resistance bands necessarily. NW would be great but he has no possibility to scale the pushups therefore my rationale with the resistance bands. I think they are a lot more scalable as you precisely mentioned.
On that note: Is there a way to work up to pushups without the need of any elevations, i.e. the floor only?
I thought about knee pushups with measuring the space between the knees and the hands. Over time further increase the space. Valid?

Hello,

@Marc
On that note: Is there a way to work up to pushups without the need of any elevations, i.e. the floor only?
I thought about knee pushups with measuring the space between the knees and the hands. Over time further increase the space. Valid?
Yes it can be an option. However, the proper biomechanics of the push up, even if we are talking about knee push up, will quickly prevent him to increase the same between the knees and the hands. Indeed, increase this space will oblige him to arch the lower back (so disengaging the glutes and the core), which is not what we want to.

If working up to a proper push up is the goal, I think that increasing the volume using GTG for instance, of the knee push up can be an option. I'd even say that there is nothing against using a resistance band while performing knee push ups.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Marc
In addition to what Anna said, you can also go for isometric training.

There are plenty of protocols available. Bob Hoffman's "Functional Isometric Contraction" can be an alternative. This is extremely time effective, and requires close to no space.

Pet'

I’ve always been a fan of isometric training and use it in conjunction with my kettlebell workouts. I know Pavel has been an advocate of isometrics in the past and I would love to see him release a new program that utilizes them with some of the newer principles that have come to light lately.....Q&D, A+A, etc.

Just one data point for you. On a trip once, I took bands instead of kettlebells, and pressed them. I had previously used a light band combined with a kettlebell for some speed pressing work, but this time, bands only.

When I got home, my kettlebell pressing had gone way down. The banded press is a different groove altogether, at least for me.

-S-

Marc said:
Pet' said:
Yes it can be an option. However, the proper biomechanics of the push up, even if we are talking about knee push up, will quickly prevent him to increase the same between the knees and the hands. Indeed, increase this space will oblige him to arch the lower back (so disengaging the glutes and the core), which is not what we want to.

The assisted band pushups as described in Q & D that Fabio developed will solve this problem and allow proper engagement of glutes and core as well as permit a straight back. Q & D book shows the band around the pelvic girdle and anchored on a vertical post; attaching it to a pull up bar works as well. Resistance levels of the bands can be adjusted as strength increases.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

actually not really bodyweight but thought it would be the closest.
Anyhow, I recently met again with an old friend from school. Sadly, things weren't going too well for him the last years. He was diagnosed with severe mental problems. He has always been overweight and his medication also doesn't help too much.
I suggested basic bodyweight training to him by using a sturdy, adjustble door pullup bar (for pushup and row progressions) but he only has wooden door frames which would possibly splinter. S & S is another option and I could actually help him with that.
I thought about resistance bands as a space-friendly possibly effective (?) modality to train at home (due to his mentl state I highly doubt he would regularly hit the gym).
Are there any good, valid programmes based on resistance bands? I'd want him to get stronger, build some muscle and get more healthy overall. But most of all get him into regular exercise.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Marc- As Anna stared I have an ebook with videos for banded training as well as bags of 5 resistance bands. They can be order separately or as a combo.
If you have specific questions on banded exercises I would be happy to set a time to chat with your regarding the needs of your friend. Feel free to email me at karensmithmsfg@gmail.com

Hello,

Nice video with a swing done with a resistance band

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom