all posts post new thread

Nutrition Looking for advice about fasting and diet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tony1969

First Post
Hi, it's great to be here, i am 52 years old, and was used to always eating plenty of carbs, and never really worked out how bad they made me feel, until i stopped eating about 90% of carbs, i alaywa remember me feeling drained after eating carbs, maybe i ate too many, i have always loved Bread, Rice and Potatoes, anyway, since i have eliminated most of my carb intake, i feel so much better, i don't get the ups and downs with energy anymore, i feel fine all of the time, i have not long started fasting, my ideal time is, 6:30pm to 10:30am, i have no problem making this time, and am not starving when i get there, i've started back doing HIT exercises, 20 mins every morning, 5 days a week, and am now trying to Keto diet, my first question is, is it ok to fast for 16 hours everyday? and can i continue with the Keto diet?. thanks

Hi, it's great to be here, i am 52 years old, and was used to always eating plenty of carbs, and never really worked out how bad they made me feel, until i stopped eating about 90% of carbs, i alaywa remember me feeling drained after eating carbs, maybe i ate too many, i have always loved Bread, Rice and Potatoes, anyway, since i have eliminated most of my carb intake, i feel so much better, i don't get the ups and downs with energy anymore, i feel fine all of the time, i have not long started fasting, my ideal time is, 6:30pm to 10:30am, i have no problem making this time, and am not starving when i get there, i've started back doing HIT exercises, 20 mins every morning, 5 days a week, and am now trying to Keto diet, my first question is, is it ok to fast for 16 hours everyday? and can i continue with the Keto diet?. thanks
Yes and yes!

One thing: HIIT relies a lot on carbs. So it's probably not the best exercise at the end of the fast when you have little carbs available. Maybe you can try other forms of training like low steady cardio, aerobic and alactic, strength training or something similar.

Good luck with all

My experience was similar in that I found eliminating typically high carb foods to be better in terms of digestion and energy regardless as to reported health benefits of low carb eating per se. I love bread, pasta, pastries etc and still eat them from time to time but they just don't agree with me. When intermittently fasting on low carb (16:8 Leangains style) I had some episodes of feeling faint and nauseous after working out in the fasted state but this went away after a couple of weeks

Yes, fasting for 16h should not be too much of a problem.
I'd suggest you don't exclusively do HIIT but aim for a more balanced routine. Overusing HIIT really won't benefit you in the long run.
Keto is fine, if that's what works for you but maybe consider adding in some carbs. It might benefit you and guves you a wider variety of foods to choose from.. However, start with a low amount since you don't seem to tolerate them too good.

i've started back doing HIT exercises, 20 mins every morning, 5 days a week, and am now trying to Keto diet, my first question is, is it ok to fast for 16 hours everyday? and can i continue with the Keto diet?

HIT

This is usually define in Strength Training as one all out to failure set with each exercise.

Is the what you mean?

Or do you mean HIIT (as Oscar and Marc) stated in their post.

Daily 16 Hour Fast

If you are acclimated to it, you will be fine; it won't be an issue.

You Intermittent Fast should make it a easy transition into The Ketogenic Diet.

However, you training protocol for the Ketogenic Diet need to change.

A Comprehensive Guide to Bodybuilding on the Ketogenic Diet | Ruled Me

This is a good article that provide information the training protocol that elicits the greatest training effect on the Ketogenic Diet.

Kenny Croxdale

One thing: HIIT relies a lot on carbs.

The HIIT Energy System

High Intensity Interval Training Cardio Training primarily utilizes the Phosphagen Energy System.

The Phosphagen Energy System utilizes ATP, not glucose (Carbohydrates) nor ketones (Fats).

ATP Muscle Resynthesis

Fatty Acids produce more ATP than glycolysis.

However, ATP Restoration occurs faster with glycolysis.

The question is, "How much faster is ATP Restoration with glycolysis?" No one has even a vague answer to that question.

Regardless, let say the Glycolysis Restoration is "Fast than a speeding bullet".

If so, here's how someone on a Ketogentic Diet by passes that issue...

Longer Periods Between Sets

Taking 2 - 3 minutes rest periods between sets restores ATP, regardless of if you on the Standard American Diet (High Carbs) or the Ketogenic Diet (Low Carbs).

As per Dr. Mike Israetel, "...long rest periods of three to five minutes, this may be long enough to regenerate the ATP levels (a method of intracellular energy transfer) even if you’re in ketosis."

Supra Maximal High Intensity Training, SMIT

This form of HIIT Training allow for greater rest periods between let's say sprint sets. The longer rest period allow for greater Power Output for each sprint.

Thus, HIIT or HIT (Resistance Training) can be performed via glucose or ketones; dependent on how the program is written and followed.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Keto is fine, if that's what works for you but maybe consider adding in some carbs.

Ketogenic Diet Training

Providing you are Keto Adapted and follow the Ketogenic Diet Training protocol, carbohydrates aren't necessary. I've been on the Ketogenic Diet for 3 years.

It took me a year to really get the Ketogenic Diet down and another year to figure out how to train on the diet.

47 Hour Fast

My longest fast was 36 hours. My new longest fast is 47 hours.

After 47 hours I had dinner. The next morning, in a fasted state, I had one of my best Squat Workouts.

In an interview, Dr Dom D'Agostino talked about doing a 7 days fast fasted and then Deadlifting 500 lbs. Source: Eating Fat, Lifting Cows, and Preventing Seizures — An Intro to the Ketogenic Diet (with Dom… - Medium

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom