all posts post new thread

Nutrition Looking for help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lee Nickells

First Post
Ok I'm not going to sugar coat it. I'm fat. I'm about 6'5 and 300 pounds. I'm thinking of joining a gym but I'm not looking to get "ripped" so much as I'm looking to get healthy and stronger. I don't eat a lot of sweets but I do indulge in various sugary soft drinks. I want to be as strong as I can be. I'm currently in a pretty sedentary lifestyle with my work. I'm wondering what is recommended so I can get stronger and "transform" fat into muscle mass without risking hurting myself. I'm looking for diet and exercise recommendations. Thank you in advance. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Ok I'm not going to sugar coat it. I'm fat. I'm about 6'5 and 300 pounds. I'm thinking of joining a gym but I'm not looking to get "ripped" so much as I'm looking to get healthy and stronger. I don't eat a lot of sweets but I do indulge in various sugary soft drinks. I want to be as strong as I can be. I'm currently in a pretty sedentary lifestyle with my work. I'm wondering what is recommended so I can get stronger and "transform" fat into muscle mass without risking hurting myself. I'm looking for diet and exercise recommendations. Thank you in advance. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Lee, welcome to StrongFirst!

My recommendation is Whole30 - check out whole30.com and download this free program in .pdf. Numerous of my students had great results with it. Do 30 days, add gradually more and more walking and let it be for time being your "only" exercise. Sleep more, reduce stress.

After 30 days, add kettlebell exercises - Simple & Sinister is the best choice, preferably under the guidance of certified SFG.

You are at the right place - we will all do everything to help you.

@Lee Nickells welcome to the forum. Engage with it, , there are a lot of smart people here. Plenty of success stories here. Be prepared to write yours in a few months time.

Whatever you do, you would need a bit of will power to get started, to restrain and change your habits a bit. Will power alone won't get you far though. A few weeks of this, you shall start seeing/feeling changes/results, and innately you would develop an enthusiasm which would propel you to move forward. (I got that from Marty Gallagher).

I'm looking for diet and exercise recommendations
I am sure qualified others would chime in and help you out.

@Lee Nickells Welcome! I would suggest to start by paying attention to the food you are eating. Before trying to make changes at all, log your food in some sort of app like chronometer, myfitnesspal etc... and/or here in the Strong Food Logs. Currently that is what I am trying to do. I think it has the potential to bring more awareness to your choices which also gives you better ability to determine what you want to do.

You said you like sugary drinks. Track how many you drink and cut that number in half to start and replace with ice water with maybe some lemon or lime in it. You get the idea. As you taste buds etc... adapt you may find you like the drinks less and less. And again I'm on the same journey trying to make better more consistent choices, and if you look at my log you will see I am far from perfect.

As far as resources go, I am a fan or Precision Nutrition. If you find it hard to measure your food consistently they have a visual system to help you reasonably estimate the portions you eat.

Keep us updated on how it goes!

I'll leave recommendations on exercise to others but re: weight loss my advice is to treat this as a journey and try a range of approaches to figure out what is most sustainable for you. I posted this earlier in the year

Training with a calorie deficit

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom