all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Looking for information on GTG with Captains of Crush Grippers

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
I've been off training since last Wednesday to let my latest Chiro/ART/Massage appointment work its magic and give myself a bit of a rest before Daily Dose Deadlift starts tomorrow (Monday). I'll also be doing my mandatory daily TGU.

While I was off I experimented with my CoC grippers and I think it would be worth a try to GTG them but I'm having trouble figuring out how to set the weight parameters on the grippers.

If anyone has any direct advice or can point me to the thread where this may have been discussed in the past, I'd appreciate it.

@Benedictine Monk I suggest not do it. I had the same idea few years ago, and the barbells and kettlebelsl started to fall out of my hands. Grip work is very demanding, and hard to regenerate (neuro). Do your swings, or deadlifts, and save the grippers for other occasions.

Hello,

+1 for Pavel and Offwidth.
Heavy swings and / or GU are already very taxing in terms of grip. In themselves, they are already a grip training.

When I was running S&S only I did not do grip training. Now, I use another program and I do grip training only 2 times a week (rockclimbing style). Otherwise, it is both too demanding and not necessary.

Still currently, I feel my fingers more rigid than before if I don't "exercise" them (playing with a pen or press a soft ball).

Kind regards,

Pet'

If anyone has any direct advice or can point me to the thread where this may have been discussed in the past, I'd appreciate it.

I received good advice and implemented some limited GTG training with the C0C grippers about a year ago. I feel like it was helpful and didn't set me back in any way, but I did stop when I went into a lot of volume with heavy 1H swings. Here's a link to that location in my training log.

I recover quickly from gripper training, maybe it is just me. I did a gripper program almost daily with no impact, and I am a solid COC#2.5, and really close on the COC#3. If you want to GTG try a gripper you can close 1-3 times throughout the day, and see how it impacts your training, or work grippers harder when not weight training, or an off day. Attempts and negatives on the goal gripper are also a good idea. A few hours after training, before an off day is a good time to work grippers hard.

Do lots of band hand extensions, and contrast bath your hands afterward if you have the time, and want to get serious about crushing strength and endurance.

If interested in a gripper program I have the one I used for a few years.

I used CoC grippers to help advance me to swinging the 40kg with one hand a few years ago but I did what might be termed "lazy gtg". This was GTG to a minimum. Just had a gripper I could do 3-4 reps with in my pocket through the day, would get 1 rep out at a time, using all my tension techniques for every rep. On light days I did 3 reps with a gripper I could do 10-15 reps with. I also made sure to do some extension work.
I'd average about 4 reps on a normal non-light day.
When I tried more volume I did feel my swing grip reducing. That said I do like CoC grippers a lot and might think about doing this again some day. Don't think I'd get up to a #3 doing this, but I made good progress with swings.

Interesting set of perspectives. Thank you all. Let me ruminate on these responses before replying.
Remember there is also a difference between 'grip' training and 'gripper training'. Grippers only train one particular aspect of grip strength...

Hello,

Hanging yourself for x seconds to a PU bar (with 1H or 2H), tie a rope to a bar and...hanging, pinch training, hanging only using the extremities of your fingers, farmers' carries... All these could be part of a grip training.

I do admit that CoC Grippers are very comfortable for GTG throughout the day.

However, be careful : grip training can tend to lack of flexibility in your fingers.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The easiest, lowest-risk approach is to use a gripper that's easy for you for any GTG work. I have been told that many people who are strong with grippers, e.g., can close a #2 or more, still prefer to GTG with a Trainer.

-S-

The easiest, lowest-risk approach is to use a gripper that's easy for you for any GTG work. I have been told that many people who are strong with grippers, e.g., can close a #2 or more, still prefer to GTG with a Trainer.

-S-
@Benedictine Monk Steve brings up a great point. You don't have to wreck yourself with GTG gripper training. I don't think it (super easy GTG gripper work) is *the best* way to get strong on grippers. But I don't think that's what the OP was getting at either. The Trainer is always a solid gripper. If you only want to carry one gripper with you, remember that you can adjust the difficulty of the close by moving your hand up or down the handles.

You can even 2-finger no set close the gripper for singles throughout the day if you want.

I have been using a #1.5 the past few weeks for some casual GTG 2-finger no set gripper closes throughout the day. Nothing very taxing. But my index and middle fingers are feeling a bit stronger. And without feeling banged up. The #1.5 is right now relatively close to my max on a 2-finger no set close though - which is about an easy #2. But for me, GTG training for 2-finger gripper closes can be done with a relatively harder (in relation to 1RM) gripper than GTG training for normal no set (4 fingers) gripper closes - without the resulting CNS drain.

When my best 2-finger no set gripper close was a #2.5 (about 8 years ago, and before many, many minor injuries), I would occasionally use a #2 for GTG 2-finger no set gripper closes. And that didn't seem to have much effect on my CNS for the few days after the GTG work. But when I did similar GTG training (no set, with all 4 fingers) with the #3 (when my best no set close was an easy #3.5), my CNS felt that for about a solid week afterwards.

Last edited:
Hello,

Grippers in GTG fashion work well. From my experience, I reduce the amount of "pure grip training" due to the fact that on a long term, fingers become rigid. Then you have to make some agility finger work.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@bencrush You far and away the grip authority here. Your advice, finger lifts, and gripper closes are awesome.

Do inverted closes serve the same purpose as two finger closes? I have never used finger closes. Would it be benificial to start adding them? You seem to really like them.

I have done various finger hangs, support lifts, and pinch lifts. Your pinky deadlifts are particularly inspiring, and Clay Edgin advises various finger lifts. The two hand no index finger pinch and hub pinch are two of his gripper exercises that come to mind.

I am no Ben or Clay but I aspire to be.

I had the honor to judge an IronMind #3 closing here in my basement gym a couple of years ago.

-S-

I had the honor to judge an IronMind #3 closing here in my basement gym a couple of years ago.

-S-
Very cool! I haven't had a chance to do that yet. Kind of surprising, considering some of the guys I used to hang out with about 10 years ago. Who was the certifier? I wonder if it's someone I "know" - either through forums or possibly through grip contests.

I was the certifier - IronMind contacted me, gave me the rules, and I signed off on the attempt as legit. We videotaped it as well, although I don't remember if IM required that or not. I got the feeling, since the guy wasn't far from here, that they looked for someone they could trust without making the candidate get on an airplane to certify. I haven't been asked to do it again, just that one time.

-S-

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what judge and certifier mean here - I was just doing what they asked, which was watching the attempt and making sure the rules were followed.

-S-

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what judge and certifier mean here - I was just doing what they asked, which was watching the attempt and making sure the rules were followed.

-S-
I think we are both right, lol. I meant the guy closing the #3 when I used the word certifier. But of course, as the judge, you were also technically the "certifier" of the legitimacy of the feat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom