all posts post new thread

Barbell Looking for power barbell and general barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nismo123

First Post
I want to buy a barbell for powerlifiting and Im stuck between choosing the grizzly power bar and the rogue Ohio power bar. I'm hesitant because most reviews say that the rogue bar has no whip but crazy aggressive knurling while the grizzly has medium knurling but some whip.

Also, I want to buy a general bar and thinking about buying a the bomba 20kg barbell from fringesport or should I go with a rogue ohio bar.

Any suggestions?

@Nismo123, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

IMHO, who you are matters a great deal to what sort of barbell you might wish to get. I spent 10 years or longer lifting on the cheap bars that many people say you should never buy, and they worked just fine for me. I got the right sized Allen wrench to tighten the ends, which were always coming loose, but I still have the bar that came with my first 300 lb. CAP starter barbell set, and it's still working just fine.

The people who make these things and label/name them know what they're talking about, e.g., the Rogue Ohio bar is a competition-legal bar in the IPF/USAPL, so there is very little flex or whip in it, which makes deadlifts harder. Many deadlift-specific bars, including some that have been approved by various powerlifting federations, are slightly narrower, have deep knurling, and bend - all three of those qualities can add pounds to a competition deadlift, and some of the smaller federations feel that any advantage they can give their lifters, so long as it's given equally to everyone, is fine - people like setting PR's, and if they can more easily PR at a competition, so much the better for attendance at PL meets and membership in PL federations, in their opinion. (Mine, too, truth be told.)

So, if you're new to lifting, I don't think I'd be spending big money on a bar or plates or clamps. After my first set, I bought the next bunch of stuff from craigslist and some of it was pretty beat up, but it all worked and I still like having the extra bars and plates around.

And if you compete, I would get something that's competition legal to train on, e.g., I still own an Okie DL bar, one of those slightly thinner, deeply knurled, and slightly flexy bars, because they use them at WNPF meets.

NB: I love deep knurling. Not everyone does.

Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

-S-

I want high quality barbells because where i live shipping is very high because of that i dont want to buy a barbell that I will regret

If you're new to lifting, I wouldn't even bother with any new barbell if shipping is expensive, just look for something used locally.

-S-

I have the Ohio Power Bar and I love it. Glad I paid the extra for stainless steel.

More great discussion and advice on this thread: Rogue Barbells

If it's financially possible, I think it's a good idea to get a bar that's certified for the federation you're interested in competing in. In my case, with the IPF, I would first look at Eleiko or Leoko. The Rogue bar is likely a good one as well, but I haven't tried it personally.

Why do you want two bars? Why not use the powerlifting bar for all lifting? If it's convenience, I would go with something cheap. If you're into weightlifting, I'd look for a weightlifting bar.

In general good barbells are for life so I think it's something that it's not a bad idea to spend a bit on. That said, if they're for life, one can also often find some good deals with used barbells and plates. Keep your eyes open and ask around.

Facebook Marketplace is a great place to look for used bars if you are so inclined. You can save some but not a lot. I got my York B&R bar that way only recently.

Forgot to mention that I want two bars because its for my home gym and I dont think that my family will like to use a power bar.

I just got a rogue Ohio power bar a couple weeks ago. I like it very much. The knurling is not too aggressive. I don't need whip for Oly lifts or to artificially increase my deadlift :p. My wife and I both use the same bar without issue.

I also used cheap bars for a long time without any issues other than needing some loc-tite.

Their regular Ohio bar has dual knurl marks, a little whip, and I've never felt disadvantaged without center knurl on a squat.

I have a Texas Power Bar for power lifts and accessories, and a “CrossFit” bar, with no centre knurl, needle bearings, dual marking, and a good bit of whip.

That combination covers anything I want to do.

I don’t like overhead pressing or front squat with the TPB. The Center knurling will tear you up.

I don’t like overhead pressing or front squat with the TPB. The Center knurling will tear you up.
I use the center knurling to tell me if I'm centered. I think my OHP and FSQ bar is a Texas Power Bar.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom