all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Looking for some Advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hehehe. My judo is going quite well. It`s my kettlebelling that is suffering, and I`m not happy about that. I see them as equals, kettlebelling and judo. Judo is social exercise, and kettlebelling is comfort-of-my-own-home exercise. I know I can be a lot stronger than I am, and the kettlebells especially will take me there. Those are excellent resources that I should consider looking into. Thank you. My goal is Sinister, God willing!
HELLO @Kozushi. I too have struggled with my own version of your question, this is something that opened my eyes.. We all have decisions to make along these lines.
The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst

Edit, please pardon the CAPS, typing error :eek:

HELLO @Kozushi. I too have struggled with my own version of your question, this is something that opened my eyes.. We all have decisions to make along these lines.
The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst

Edit, please pardon the CAPS, typing error :eek:
Especially important quotations from this article I think:

"If you choose to excel in a sport, you must face the fact that your decision has nothing to do with health."
- Very true! Judo is judo - a great activity, very social, very interesting, exciting, strategic, and good for self-defence. It's good for cardio exercise and some strength and mobility training, but it's not specialized for that. I'd choose strict "exercise" for health over a sport, now that I'm a little bit educated in the art of kettlebells etc.

"A significant decrease in illnesses has been observed in people training for sport or practicing physical culture.” He went on to add that “rational” training is what is needed to deliver such resilience.(8) Moderate physical loads stimulate the immune system.(9)"

"Study a martial art. Take classes three to five times a week. Enjoy what you learn without ambitions to become a champion or a grandmaster."
- This is an important point. I think people who run their own judo programs ought to have some decent competitive credentials - not 100% necessarily, but competition is definitely one hard core aspect of the judo experience that a head coach should have. Otherwise, to heck with competition. You compete every day in the club anyhow.

"Reach the “simple” goals like the one-arm-one-leg push-up. Then set your sights a little higher, e.g. the front lever and free handstands. Almost every day do the S&S swing regimen to give power and conditioning to your lower body and back. Do get-ups twice a week."
- I'd like to learn more about SF bodyweight training. The NW book only covers two moves whereas the full SF system has more. I wish there were a book on it. :(

Last edited:
@Kozushi you go for it mate. You feel strong now, wait till you’re hitting the simple standards regularly & with ease. You’ll feel like a monster.
I did S&S with the 32kg today and watched the clock. I hit the "on the half minute" standard for the swings up to swing number 50, then I slowed down a lot. My TGUs always take a long time because I try to do them as slowly as possible, feeling the balance point all the way along through every movement. I watched the clock though and I did one about every 2 minutes for 20 minutes. My total training time was around a half hour. My shoulder is getting a lot better.

With the 32kg - not close. So, I`m sticking with it, and when tired going back the the 24, until I`ve owned the 32. I want my name on the list of Sinister attainers.
I did S&S with the 32kg today and watched the clock. I hit the "on the half minute" standard for the swings up to swing number 50, then I slowed down a lot. My TGUs always take a long time because I try to do them as slowly as possible, feeling the balance point all the way along through every movement. I watched the clock though and I did one about every 2 minutes for 20 minutes. My total training time was around a half hour. My shoulder is getting a lot better.
Remember don’t try & hit the time standards every time. I only test on days I’m feeling good, sometimes that’s a couple of times a week, sometimes once every couple of weeks. Same with the weight, stick to the plan you wrote in the first post I quoted above & drop to the 24 when you’re doing it tough (judo has knocked you around a bit), this won’t cause you to lose strength, it’ll make you stronger as you can recover while still working. Be honest with yourself when you need to use the 24, don’t get to excited to early as I know you’re prone to do & start sneaking that weight up before you’ve earned it. Stick to what you said & I guarantee you’ll cruise onto & past the 40 before you know it. The reason you stalled on the 40 is because you made the hill to steep to get there, slow down & be patient, stretch that hill out so it’s not so steep & a lot easier to climb. Good luck.

Remember don’t try & hit the time standards every time. I only test on days I’m feeling good, sometimes that’s a couple of times a week, sometimes once every couple of weeks. Same with the weight, stick to the plan you wrote in the first post I quoted above & drop to the 24 when you’re doing it tough (judo has knocked you around a bit), this won’t cause you to lose strength, it’ll make you stronger as you can recover while still working. Be honest with yourself when you need to use the 24, don’t get to excited to early as I know you’re prone to do & start sneaking that weight up before you’ve earned it. Stick to what you said & I guarantee you’ll cruise onto & past the 40 before you know it. The reason you stalled on the 40 is because you made the hill to steep to get there, slow down & be patient, stretch that hill out so it’s not so steep & a lot easier to climb. Good luck.
All good advice which I will follow. Thank you for helping me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom