all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Looking for some metrics for an effective snatch test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyle Kowalczuk

Level 5 Valued Member
Just wondering if anyone came across or would share some measurables they have if they are good at the snatch test (meaning 100+ reps) with their bell size. I've heard the "should be able to press your snatch bell 20x" and things like that. Any info would satiate my appetite ;)

Well, the SFG standard is with your snatch test bell (100 snatches in 5 minutes) that you can press it 5x with one arm at a time, clean doubles 5x, squat doubles 5x, 1-arm swing it proficiently for a set of 5, and do a get-up with it, meeting all the required technique standards for each.

I would say you'd want to be able to press the snatch bell for at least 5 sets of 5 in a session, but not necessarily a set of 20 straight through.

I would point at the SFG1 snatch test requirement (for your age & sex) as being the minimum. (kind of like the simple standard). If I could do the test 1 bell size above my required weight, i'd feel pretty good about that. For instance my snatch weight would be 28kg for SFG1. Doing the test with 32kg would be a worthwhile goal.

The other standard that Pavel set is the secret service 10 minute snatch test with the 24kg for guys. I would be pretty happy staying at 24kg for that one. If anybody's doing 200 reps in 10 minutes with 32kg or above, they're a monster in my book.

so I don't have like a press matrix, but once I could snatch the 32kg for 10 reps full power reps I didn't have an issue getting 100 reps with the 24kg. (okay it was a snatch test and I though I was going to die in the last minute, but I still got done in 4:50-4:55 seconds)

For a set of 20 presses? Uhhh... probably not! :eek: I can do a snatch test with 32, and I'm doubtful I could press 24 for 20 reps in a row (I think I've done 16 or 17).

The only measurable I've ever found is how much someone can 1-arm swing, based on what they can competently snatch. With equivalent technique, I'd suggest one could snatch a bell that's around 35% lighter than what they can swing with. Example: 40kg SW/28kg SN; 48kg SW/32kg SN; 56kg SW/36kg SN.

Hope that's helpful.

R
For a set of 20 presses? Uhhh... probably not! :eek: I can do a snatch test with 32, and I'm doubtful I could press 24 for 20 reps in a row (I think I've done 16 or 17).

The only measurable I've ever found is how much someone can 1-arm swing, based on what they can competently snatch. With equivalent technique, I'd suggest one could snatch a bell that's around 35% lighter than what they can swing with. Example: 40kg SW/28kg SN; 48kg SW/32kg SN; 56kg SW/36kg SN.

Hope that's helpful.
Right?! The 20 press metric is crazy but I’ve come across it in some literature. I like the % you have and for me it is pretty accurate. Thanks

Hope that's helpful.

This is great Arryn, I was actually about to ask if there were usual/expected relationships between the snatch, 1H swing, and 2H swing. Thanks for sharing.

This is great Arryn, I was actually about to ask if there were usual/expected relationships between the snatch, 1H swing, and 2H swing. Thanks for sharing.

this is the usual metric.. There are some individuals, however who do not benefit a huge carryover from heavy one arm swings to their snatches (unfortunately, I am one of them)

One under-rated accessory move to build your snatches in my experience are heavy double cleans and clean and jerks

When I was on a program having me use 28s and 32s for the clean and jerk, I recorded a 3:58 snatch test with my test weight (20kg)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom