all posts post new thread

Barbell Looking for squat advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Because of my history, my legs are pretty weak right now.
For those of us unfamiliar with your history, please give a bit of history - training history, injury history, medical diagnosis history and your current condition.

Thanks.

-S-

I'm feeling pretty beat up right now and it's negatively affecting my back and foot symptons, and other activities. And being able to do the "other" activities is the biggest reason I work out.

@the hansenator, I have just read another thread about your history, and reread this thread from the beginning.

You have received the suggestion that you might try progressing a little more slowly - that's worth a try.

But overall, your condition is still cause for concern. I don't think the fact that one medical professional has cleared you should be considered sufficient in this case. You could have other things wrong with you that caused you to have these unusual weaknesses and difficulties with recovering.

To me, you sound in need of more guidance than you've received or are receiving. I would consult a doctor and have a thorough physical exam in light of your experiences. And I would not program your own exercise - given what you've gone through and continue to go through, your progress that you've made on your own not withstanding, I think you'll be best served to find a competent coach or trainer who can monitor your recovery as well as your progress.

Always remember that the first rule is "do no harm." If your current exercise regimen is making the quality of the rest of your life worse, not better, please stop what you're doing.

-S-

@Steve Freides Thanks for the advice, and for taking the time.

I'm not sure who else to go to. I've lost count of how many doctors, therapists, and trainers I've gone to. No one has given any restrictions besides don't do it if it hurts. Now that there's an understanding what's going on there's been a lot of progress in the last couple of years.

The physical therapist gave me some exercise to help straighten me out. He explained that with my diaphragm and stuff my body will always want to settle into a certain position so I need to keep on the PT exercises.

I'm making progress with what I'm doing and feeling better than I have in a long time so I'm optimistic. Through experience I've found things that seem to help, things that don't seem to make a difference and things to avoid but I have to be careful not to overdo and make sure to stay on the PT.

@the hansenator, perhaps you can PM me and @Brett Jones with your location and we can help you find someone near you who might be able to help you. Reading between the lines of your posts makes me want to be sure there's nothing amiss that no one has yet discovered. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom