all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Lose the Overhang

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

OperationLTO

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi,

I've just joined the forum and as you've guessed it I'd really appreciate some training guidance.

About me: Male, 35, 101kg, 30%+ body fat, some niggling injuries from training over the years (left knee, left wrist, right shoulder). Lost 4kg so far this year (down from max weight in past of 112kg).

Training history: Previously played rugby (stopped eight years ago), 'competed' in a strongman competition 10 years ago, powerlifting style training currently but I'm generally very weak (one off training due to family and work commitments).

Kettlebell history: I own a 16kg kettlebell, which I've used over the years. I feel proficient with movements such as the swing (one and two hand), clean and press and snatch. Obviously much (lots!) to learn.

Now: At home like the rest of the world. No longer training at the gym. Training at home regularly but diet has gone WAY off.

Equipment available: Kettlebells (8kg, 2X10kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg), Dumbbells (2kg, 4kg, 6kg), MedBalls (3kg, 6kg, 9kg), 4kg Mace, Pull-up Bar, Push-up handles, Ab Roller, Suspension system

Current Training Programme:

NOTE: Everyday I do 50 20kg kettlebell swings (upping to 24kg on Monday), push-ups (add one every day), 'fat man' row on suspension trainer (add one every day)

Monday: 1. Power focussed (using a heavier kettlebell than I normally do to swing, clean, press, snatch and squat), 2. Sprinting,

Example session: 28kg kettlebell swings and 20kg clean, snatch, press, squat (all 5X5 this week in a circuit with sufficient rest) THEN sprint for 10 minutes

Tuesday: 1. Arms

Wednesday: 1. Conditioning focussed (EMOM, AMRAP, Circuits primarily with kettlebells but also using other kit), 2. Run (currently 3km)

Thursday: 1. Shoulders and upper back

Friday: 1. Hypertrophy focussed (using kettlebells), 2. Hill Sprints

Saturday: 1. Low intensity lower body work for recovery

Goal: So my focus is to be a hybrid. I want to become a 'good' kettlebeller but don't want to be a kettlebeller. I'd love to comfortably run 5km but don't want to be a runner. I'm no longer interested in max strength at the gym. Some would ask why not CrossFit...good question but the answer is no.

Immediate goal is to reduce body fat. I ideally want to get down to 90kg. I appreciate most of this is down to diet.

I'd be interested on your thoughts on the above. I'd be keen on training twice a day five days a week as I'm currently in isolation therefore have the opportunity. However, if I can train once a day for six days per week then great.

Sounds fine to me. Make sure not to focus too much on hitting it hard and making the numbers but listen to your body. You should not feel wiped out after a session if you wish to follow this plan for more than four weeks.

Focus on quality and consistency and the results will come.

Last edited:
@OperationLTO
Welcome to the forum.
I concur with @Bauer that your plan looks fine.

However... it does have a lot of moving parts...

An alternative would be:
  • Diet
  • S&S 5-6 days/wk
  • LED Run 3 days/wk
  • Diet
  • Patience
Again... welcome

Thank you @Bauer . How much volume would you typically recommend in a power and strength focussed workout? The two methodologies I’m most familiar with (run in the past) are Westside and Wendler. I struggle now how to programme volume and intensity with kettlebelling.

Thank you @offwidth . I agree with the moving parts. struggle with how to programme the three main training sessions as this world is different for me and my usual powerlifting based movements. I’m currently on my first read through Simple and Sinister (just started the third section). I get it but at the same time I don’t. Interesting how you say diet first; I’d rather someone held a gun to my head and told me to swing all day than have to eat clean but you are 100% right.

I'm no longer interested in max strength at the gym.

You know, I came to this conclusion myself, somewhere around the same time you did. My daughter was born, after being sedentary for a long while I decided it was time to get back in shape, and decided "I don't need to be the biggest, strongest guy in the room anymore," and gave up on real strength.

What I've learned since is that I can be pretty dang strong without getting bigger, and without being idiotic and always hurting myself. And being pretty dang strong is a good thing for me in a lot of ways. I really wish I had learned this ten years ago instead - and I would encourage you to consider it now. With smart training, you can continue to get strong without being driven by ego.

So with that in mind, I'd personally advise you towards higher-frequency training for strength, not body part splits and hypertrophy. S&S is a great program given what you've got on hand. And pushups & pullups can always be thrown in if/when you feel like you need more. Walk a lot. And, as you noted - diet is king.

Good hunting.

Thank you @WhatWouldHulkDo . For me the realisation was about purpose (being strong, conditioned, flexible, able and capable). It is somewhat about being functional but with a slight disdain of using that word.

I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily splitting body parts, however, I appreciate how you could read that in wha I have written above. The arms, shoulders and upper back entries are more to do with balance, assistance (context) and are only really a couple of sets thrown in after my main frequency work for the day (swings, push-ups and rows). My hypertrophy work in Day 3 has typically been all body supersets (for example, single leg deadlifts, kneeling press, racked reverse lunge, KB row etc).

I will complete Simple and Sinister and re-read again. As I noted above I’m still not understanding the essence of it (I don’t mean to be stupid but my background and ‘bro’ knowledge make it difficult for me to understand application).

Walking. I have just managed to get a weighted vest so I should get my steps in.

I will complete Simple and Sinister and re-read again. As I noted above I’m still not understanding the essence of it (I don’t mean to be stupid but my background and ‘bro’ knowledge make it difficult for me to understand application).

I view the general concept as training the whole body at a level where you can repeat the same effort every day, rather than loading a muscle group hard one day and giving it a week to recover. You might consider looking a Tactical Barbell if you have any interest in sticking with the barbell - I think of it as being conceptually very similar.

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and as you've guessed it I'd really appreciate some training guidance.

About me: Male, 35, 101kg, 30%+ body fat, some niggling injuries from training over the years (left knee, left wrist, right shoulder). Lost 4kg so far this year (down from max weight in past of 112kg).

Training history: Previously played rugby (stopped eight years ago), 'competed' in a strongman competition 10 years ago, powerlifting style training currently but I'm generally very weak (one off training due to family and work commitments).

Kettlebell history: I own a 16kg kettlebell, which I've used over the years. I feel proficient with movements such as the swing (one and two hand), clean and press and snatch. Obviously much (lots!) to learn.

Now: At home like the rest of the world. No longer training at the gym. Training at home regularly but diet has gone WAY off.

Equipment available: Kettlebells (8kg, 2X10kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg), Dumbbells (2kg, 4kg, 6kg), MedBalls (3kg, 6kg, 9kg), 4kg Mace, Pull-up Bar, Push-up handles, Ab Roller, Suspension system

Current Training Programme:

NOTE: Everyday I do 50 20kg kettlebell swings (upping to 24kg on Monday), push-ups (add one every day), 'fat man' row on suspension trainer (add one every day)

Monday: 1. Power focussed (using a heavier kettlebell than I normally do to swing, clean, press, snatch and squat), 2. Sprinting,

Example session: 28kg kettlebell swings and 20kg clean, snatch, press, squat (all 5X5 this week in a circuit with sufficient rest) THEN sprint for 10 minutes

Tuesday: 1. Arms

Wednesday: 1. Conditioning focussed (EMOM, AMRAP, Circuits primarily with kettlebells but also using other kit), 2. Run (currently 3km)

Thursday: 1. Shoulders and upper back

Friday: 1. Hypertrophy focussed (using kettlebells), 2. Hill Sprints

Saturday: 1. Low intensity lower body work for recovery

Goal: So my focus is to be a hybrid. I want to become a 'good' kettlebeller but don't want to be a kettlebeller. I'd love to comfortably run 5km but don't want to be a runner. I'm no longer interested in max strength at the gym. Some would ask why not CrossFit...good question but the answer is no.

Immediate goal is to reduce body fat. I ideally want to get down to 90kg. I appreciate most of this is down to diet.

I'd be interested on your thoughts on the above. I'd be keen on training twice a day five days a week as I'm currently in isolation therefore have the opportunity. However, if I can train once a day for six days per week then great.
Thinking about it, I think what you are doing matches roughly the so called DMPM (Dan Martin Program Minimum).

It is an Easy Strength approach (never struggle, never to failure!) with Swings, Goblet Squats, Pushups, and, I think some kind of upper body pull and some kind of loaded gait pattern (sprinting, crawling, carries, even TGU).
Here are some ideas:

Dan Martin said:
At its most basic, the DMPM is swings, push-ups, goblet squats and suitcase walks. With the pec/bicep stretch and hip flexor stretch being done to loosen up what's tight.

The set/rep scheme is very open ended. You do what you can while leaving enough in the tank so you could repeat the workout the next day if you want.

Adding things like TRX rows and Get-Ups are purely optional and can be done or not, it just depends.

Our member @vegpedlr can tell you more about it.

Q: How many tai chi players does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Nine. One to change the bulb and eight to stand around and say, “That’s not how I learned the form!”

Here’s how I learned the form, the DMPM, aka the Humane Burpee, and how I’ve done it:

10-15 swings followed by
Push-up
Goblet squat
KB row

Descend the reps 5-4-3-2-1 for the strength moves. Finish with some suitcase carries.

But as already shown, there are lots of variations. I’ve done a quick 1-2-3-2-1 pyramid as a little workout “snack,” and 10x10 swings with just one rep of the other moves each set. You get the idea.

Dan Martin has said, that you can always do more, but that you should not do less. It might be all you need. Or be the foundation on which you build some specific attribute. I like it during the summer MTB season as maintenance. With just one KB I can do it anywhere. Walk to the park, keep the bell in the car, on trips etc. Go heavier and rest less to make it harder, go,lighter and rest more to make it easier. DM suggests a good standard might be 5x5 reps for the whole thing using the 24k. That’s my summer goal.

Thank you for the messages. I’ve held off replying so that I can get around the forum and pick up more information.

In regards to barbell training, this is something I need to do without until they either come back in stock or the gyms open. Kettlebells until then.

The DMPM sticky and associated messages read sensible. I think I’m doing considerably more volume across the week, which for me is fine given the stage in life I am versus Dan Martin.

One thing I think I need to get right is my spread of training across the week. As of last week I’m now running/sprinting on alternative days to my main kettlebell sessions, but still doing my own ‘programme minimum’.

As per my first message, my main training is split over three days: 1. ‘Strength’, 2. ‘Conditioning’ and 3. ‘Hypertrophy’.

It appears to make more sense to me to mix this up over the week: heavy swings one day, heavy clean and press another and heavy snatches another. Add in other work in amongst these sessions.

I’m not sure and would welcome comments/thoughts/suggestions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom