all posts post new thread

Nutrition Losing weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nicholas Marsala

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey everyone I'm starting to get back to taking care of myself and am looking to seriously lose weight. I know this isn't going happen over night and am cool with that. What's a good diet to start with? What to cut out and what to add on? Thanks everyone!

If you read it, you have the answer, and I would like to add that what is really work is discipline, not motivation. Create calories deficit and results will come, sonner or later.

That was actually a really good article. I liked the "how dumb is your diet"-graph! :D

And this picture was also good:
eat-these.jpg

Many people talk about certain diets that are popular right now, mostly fueled by health magazines to sell ads and books with "the answer". If they told you exactly how to loose weight and be healthy they'd only sell one magazine. Big $ in having people think they better them selfs by eating this weeks "super food" and still be unhealthy...
I often find 4-5 year old blogs about people documenting their "massive fat loss journey", but then just 1-2 year after they reached their desired weight, they've gained all of it back. Mostly because they stopped doing the popular diet at the moment and went back to their old eating habits. I've done the exact same thing...

I've read advice from "real" doctors (that don't sell diet books) and nutritionist that talk about life-time changing diets. Meaning, find recipes that are healthy that you could eat many times a week for the rest of your life. Don't go on a crash diet for 2 months and then gain it back just as fast.

Personally I eat a lot of boiled potatoes. They're unprocessed, high in fibre, minerals and vitamins, locally farmed, low in calories but very filling and cheap. Only people making money from this advise is "Big Potato"... meaning your local potato farmer. ;)
"Meat and potatoes", or "protein and potatoes"... and piles of vegetables.

In June of 2017 I weighed in at my heaviest recorded weight as an adult at 317lbs (I believe in high school I possible weighed more but avoided a scale at all costs). I’m 5’9”. That’s MORBIDLY OBESE. In was devastated that no “diet” seemed to help me lose and maintain lost weight. My doctor, who was as exasperated as myself, asked me to research and follow the 5:2 Fast Diet. I “fasted” for the first time on 1/2/18 and do still to this day 2 days a week. I weighed in this morning (4/30/19) at 217.5lbs. That’s while also seeing great gains in strength training with kettlebells and a barbell. Next goal is SFG 1 this June!

In June of 2017 I weighed in at my heaviest recorded weight as an adult at 317lbs (I believe in high school I possible weighed more but avoided a scale at all costs). I’m 5’9”. That’s MORBIDLY OBESE. In was devastated that no “diet” seemed to help me lose and maintain lost weight. My doctor, who was as exasperated as myself, asked me to research and follow the 5:2 Fast Diet. I “fasted” for the first time on 1/2/18 and do still to this day 2 days a week. I weighed in this morning (4/30/19) at 217.5lbs. That’s while also seeing great gains in strength training with kettlebells and a barbell. Next goal is SFG 1 this June!

That's awesome, Heath. Congratulations! And SFG is a great investment to keep you on the healthy path! I'm sure you will love it. Let us know if we can help in any way with your prep.

Good Overall Article

Yes, overall this provides some good information.

Examining Some of The Article's Information

Now let look at some it...

1) All Diet Work

Any calorie deficit works for losing weight.

As I have note in previous post, Mark Haub (MS Univeristy of Kansas Nutrition) demonstrated that you can low weight on the "Twinkie Diet" by consuming fewer calories.

2) A Diet Your Like

Finding an eating diet that you like and enjoy is one of the keys to staying on it.

3) Higher Protein Intake

a) It keeps you from being hungry.

b) It preserves muscle mass when in a caloric deficit.

4) NEAT, Non-Exercise Activety Thermogenesis

Jobs that require constant movement provide great health benefits and burn more caloriesthan desk jobs.

5) 6 Meals/Snacks Per Day

Research (Dr John Barardi, PhD Nutrition) has demonstrated this method isn't an effective method for increasing your metabolism.

It also blocks body fat from being burned. Constantly eating maintains higher insulin levels. Insulin promotes body fat storage while block fat from being burned.

6) 3 Meal Per Day

Eating three meals a day, allows you to maintain lower insulin levels between meals; burning more body fat

7) Determining You Daily Caloric Intake

Multiplying you body weight by certain numbers is a flawed method for weight loss.

You first need to do a three day recall to find the average number of calories you are consuming a day.

For weight loss, you then need to decrease you Daily Caloric Intake approximately 20%. Research (Dr Layne Norton and John Ivy) determined around a 20% deficit ensure more fat is lost and more muscle is maintained.

8) Cardio Is Least Important?

It depend on the type of cardio.

High Intensity Interval Training Cardio fall into the Strength Training area. It preserves and increases muscle mass.

This type of cardio increases you metabolism for hour after you training session.

Low level cardio, like waking, has it place but isn't really that effective for burning calories.

9) High Fiber Diet

There are some health benefits to fiber.

However, research presented by Dr Paul Mason found that a High Fiber Diet is a bit overrated.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I often find 4-5 year old blogs about people documenting their "massive fat loss journey", but then just 1-2 year after they reached their desired weight, they've gained all of it back. Mostly because they stopped doing the popular diet at the moment and went back to their old eating habits. I've done the exact same thing...

Going Off Your Eating Plan

The main reason people gain weight back is they go off whatever eating plan and go back to their old ways; be in a "Popular Diet" or a well formulated diet.

The same applies to exercise, etc.

The Best Diet Plan

..is the one you like that works for you and enable you to make part of your life.

Lack of Motivation

The underlying reason why people go off a diet, stop exercising, etc is they aren't motivate to maintain it.

One of the reason they state is that they don't have time.

People never have time for things they don't like to do.

However, people 'Make Time" for thing they like to do.

Parting Thought

"Successful people are willing to do what other won't."

Successful individual are motivated.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Lack of Motivation

The underlying reason why people go off a diet, stop exercising, etc is they aren't motivate to maintain it.

One of the reason they state is that they don't have time.

People never have time for things they don't like to do.

However, people 'Make Time" for thing they like to do.
I don't believe in motivation, I believe in discipline. If you set a goal, you do what is need to be done so as to complete it.

There are lots of "automated" diets around. Automated in a way that by following certain rules you decrease your caloric intake and sometimes appetite. Atkins, Dukan, DontEat the White Stuff, Carbohydrate Addict's Diet etc. They all work... for a while. The most reliable way to change weight and body composition is quantifying the intake. I am not sure why a lot of people (probably most) roll their eyes at the mention of counting calories. It's not that hard, really. Buy a scale and download one of the many apps. Weigh the food you put on the plate and enter the number into the app. Much better than guessing if you had "good" stuff or not. Quantity trumps composition, especially at the beginning.

As far as determining caloric requirement goes - there are a few online calculators. Multiplying body weight by some number works as well, and agonising about imprecision is the same as agonising about measuring body fat percentage with bathroom scales. It's not precise, but it is precise enough for practical purposes.

So you calculate the maintenance value and decide on the caloric deficit you want to create. It has to be large enough to allow for lapses. No point of cutting intake by 100 kcal - one small sandwich will get you over the limit. But not too large so that it is sustainable.

Appetite management is the key. Protein, low(it) GI etc. will have some effect. But sooner or later you will get hungry, and part of the trick is to be able to tolerate it. Aerobic exercise also helps - if I get on the stationary bike for an hour first thing in the morning I am not hungry for hours after. You will have to find your own tricks though.

Exercise. Fat loss is proportionate to the duration of workouts. Sure, you can pull studies on HIIT where people lose pounds while exercising 2 minutes twice a week, but it's not going to work. Lifting and cardio, both are important for losing fat and keeping muscle.

If you have the resources consult a bodybuilding coach. These guys get their athletes to ridiculous levels of body fat, and you will probably be very happy at much higher number.

One more thing in regards to calorie counting. Besides being the most methodical way of regulating intake it also forces you to develop discipline. You will also automatically reduce the variety of foods you consume, which is another important factor in losing weight.

I have lost over 40lb in 3 months just by eating less. Getting sick multiple times and working a lot are also huge contributing factors.

I did not realize how much food it takes for me to maintain 250lb.

I was only walking, and doing informal lifting. I did pullup/chinup, ring row/pushup, ocassional kettlebell work, and heavy sandbag work. A few days a week.

I am in the process of picking up barbell training again. This time I will try to maintain my weight.

They all work... for a while.

Why All Diets Stop Working

The body eventually learns and adapt; know as the General Adaptation Syndrome.

How To Get It Back To Working

Once adaptation occurs with diet or training, the key is to change something.

Intermittent energy restriction improves weight loss efficiency in obese men: the MATADOR study. - PubMed - NCBI

Research in this article shows that it takes around 2 weeks for the body to adapt to a calorie restricted diet. Once adaptation occurs weight loss stops.

The research found that the key to getting your weight loss back on track is to...

Calorie Rotation

1) Decrease you calorie intake for two weeks.

Then...

2) Increase you calorie intake for two weeks, back to maintenance.

Anecdotal Data

Calorie rotation is a method the Bodybuilder have used for decades; bulk and cut because it works.

Science, like the Matador Study, often works backward. When something works, science works backward to find out why. Sometime science finds something works but don't know why.

I am not sure why a lot of people (probably most) roll their eyes at the mention of counting calories. It's not that hard, really.

Counting Calories

People view counting calories as too much work. The majority aren't motivated to do it.

You right, it is not that hard.

As far as determining caloric requirement goes - there are a few online calculators. Multiplying body weight by some number works as well,

Determining Daily Caloric Intake

"Multiplying body weight by some a number" is a flawed method.

Think of weight loss as taking a trip. You first need to know where you are on the map. That means performing a three day recall to determine your average daily caloric intake.

To lose weight, you then decrease you average daily calorie intake by around 20% (research Norton and Ivy).

Once your weight loss stops, follow the Matador's Calorie Rotation (above) to jump start you weight loss.

...measuring body fat percentage with bathroom scales.
'

Measuring Body Fat Percentages

All of the methods have flaws.

The BIA Scales are one of the worst method.

One of the least expensive method that provides you with some degree of accuracy is to have a good Technician who had performed hundreds of test, caliper you.

A good Technician can obtain a fairly accurate reading with a cheap pair of calipers.

Tape Measure and Mirror or Pictures

1) Tape Measure: Most individual put on fat in certain part of their body; waist for men, glues and legs for women.

If you measurement in your "Fat Zone", so to speak, is decreasing, it indicates you are losing fat.

If you pants are getting lose in the waist and/or glutes/legs that means your losing fat.

2) The Mirror/Pictures over time provide great feed back.

Appetite management is the key.

Protein and Fat

Consuming protein help to control your hunger.

Consuming fat also help with hunger control. That is one of the primary reason the Ketogenic Diet works. You consume fewer calories because you remain full longer.

Fat loss is proportionate to the duration of workouts. Sure, you can pull studies on HIIT where people lose pounds while exercising 2 minutes twice a week, but it's not going to work.

Diet Is The Key To Weight Loss

Exercise alone is ineffective for losing weight.

The intensity of the exercise trumps the duration due to...

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC

While the number of calories you burn in an exercise matters, what matter even more is the number of calories you burn and continue to burn after your workout.

Low level training for long periods doesn't burn that many calories and there is virtually no increase in your post workout metabolism.

Research (Dr Jake Wilson) also indicates that you body eventually will adapt to low level intensity training; meaning the low level, longer duration exercise become ineffective for what few calories you burn burn.

High Intensity Interval Training, post workouts can burn up to 9 times more calories compared to a longer low level activity post exercise; you metabolism remains jacked up.

The Role of Exercise In Weight Loss

1) A well written and executed high intensity training program elevates you metabolism for hours, burns more calories/fat in the long run than a longer duration, lower level exercise program.

A HIIT program is somewhat like taking "Speed", your metabolism remains jacked up for hours. That is one reason you don't see a lot of fat drug addicts.

2) Increased Insulin Sensitivity: The majority of individual with a weight issue are Insulin Resistant. Their body stored calories as fat.

Increasing Insulin Sensitivity allows individual to utilize calories more effective for energy or store them in muscle.

3) Exercise simulates mTOR (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin). mTOR triggers the anabolic, muscle building process.

Exercise preserves muscle mass in a well written and preformed program, during weight loss.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
As OP can see, there is so much information when it comes to nutrition. I, myself can do well on a more meat-heavy diet with potatoes as a side dish. I am following a low-carb approach if you will, with intermittent fasting.

This might not appeal to everyone, you might be "scared" of saturated fats. Whatever. I am no expert, and this is why I linked to that page earlier in the thread. Calories in, calories out; CICO works, plain and simple. Without getting too hung up with all the details.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom