all posts post new thread

Nutrition Losing weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Adaptation to diets is one of the most misunderstood concepts. Often an excuse for dismal results.

There are two components of adaptation. One, which should not really be called an adaptation, is the decrease in calorie requirements as the result of decrease in body mass. You start with 100 kg of bodyweight, lose 10 kg, and now you are not in deficit anymore - weight loss stagnates. The solution - recalculate maintenance based on the new bodyweight.

Second, much talked about, but less significant, is metabolic adaptation. It has been noticed that in response to weight loss metabolic rate decreases more than what shoukd be predicted by tge reduced bodyweight. In other words the body becomes more efficient in utilizing macronutrients. Metabolic adaptation becomes more significant from practical point of view at serious drops in bodyweight and especially low body fat.

The best solution is still the quantification of intake, or, in simple words, counting calories. Calories down, protein up, exercise, both lift and aerobics, (another topic of discussion in the context of losing fat) - and you will be set. Tweaks - overfeeding days, zig-zaghing intake from day to day, nutrient cycling etc. - may be useful, but much later in the process of losing weight/fat.

Re intermittent fasting - it's not a magic bullet, and I know of people who got to seriously low levels of body fat by various means, from one to ten meals a day. Find what works for you in terms of appetite control.

Last edited:
I managed to lose 5 kg by cutting down my sugar intake and stopped eating oily and fried food. Worked out 30 minutes before breakfast every morning and ate atleast 2 dates every morning before breakfast.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom