all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Lost my way...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gaijin

First Post
Hi all,this is my first post here...

I have been having a lot of confusion about training recently.I have been involved in martial arts since i was 5 years old(i'm currently 41),done routine bodybuilding training,and kettlebell training when i first heard of Pavel which i've been doing ever since.

Now to my problem-I find myself constantly changing how i train.One week i think it's best to train for strength,the next week i want to train for appearance(not a good reason i know),etc.

I train religiously and don't skip days so it's not lack of motivation...Sometimes when training a certain way,i get a lot more aches and pains than i used to so find myself thinking it's better to switch.

Has anyone else here gone through similar?

@Gaijin : welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

You came to the right place. Many knowledgeable Ladies and Gentlemen here who made and make progress with basic virtues (patience, diligence, helpfulness) about a handful of basic exercises with the body, bar, kettlebell as weapons used by the one mind.

When you have no injury, move without restrictions (FMS screen is suggested frequently) and you are competent with the most basic kettlebell lifts: the goblet squat, swing, get up (for fixing problems video discussions on this forum may be very helpful) Pavel's Kettlebell: Simple and Sinister and sticking to it and progressing through it over time would be a great start, especially given the fact, you are a martial artist and like to train religiously.

Has anyone else here gone through similar?
who has not?

Hello,

@Gaijin
First, welcome to StrongFirst !

What is your goal ? Is GPP for your daily life and to be better in you martial arts ?

Depending on that, you only need to focus on one training during enough time IMO. Results come with time and dedication. Simple & Sinister can match these goals. The simplest you go, the best you become.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Welcome, @Gaijin

"Sometimes when training a certain way,i get a lot more aches and pains than i used to so find myself thinking it's better to switch." --- might be worth investigating. Smart training shouldn't cause a lot of aches and pains. Too much intensity, errors in technique, lack of mobility for what you're trying to do?

Thank you for the replies.

The question about my goal is where i'm losing my way.

The Simple & Sinister program is a good example:-

I started this and my body(particularly my shoulders) were feeling a lot healthier......But about 2 weeks in i had a 'fear' that i would start to lose size,that my arms would shrink,that muscles may get neglected...I then switched to a Bodybuilding style program,start to get aches and pains,and the cycle repeats itself.

It just feels like i'm doing lots of training but not sticking to anything long enough to see progress.

@Gaijin : welcome to the forum :)
There is a nice progression out there (can't remember where I found it, probably in the blog section) where you start with the Simple goal of Simple and Sinister, then continue with RoP from Enter the Kettlebell, after which you go for the Sinister goal of Simple and Sinister, and finish it of with double kettlebell work from Return of the Kettlebell.
That should keep you busy for a couple of years :)

Welcome to StrongFirst

I started this and my body(particularly my shoulders) were feeling a lot healthier......But about 2 weeks in i had a 'fear' that i would start to lose size,that my arms would shrink,that muscles may get neglected...I then switched to a Bodybuilding style program,start to get aches and pains,and the cycle repeats itself.

Stop being "afraid". Trust the process. Especially when you say the alternative hurts you. When you'll be strong and move freely and gracefully aesthetics will follow. Guarantied.

@Gaijin
I'll add my welcome as well. I will also echo what @pet' said...
Why are you training? In other words what are your training goals? Success will be forthcoming when your training is in alignment with your goals, and as @Shahaf Levin said when you trust the process. And of course +1 to S&S...

Welcome! I've done every body-building/strength-building program accessible via Google and e-book, often starting and stopping programs within the same week, seeking some elusive perfect way. My change in attitude started when I read some research (can't remember where) that showed great benefit from sticking to an approach for minimum 10 weeks

Thank you for all the welcomes and replies.
Maybe my problem is i don't have a clear goal anymore.
Sometimes it feels my goal is to make it through a workout without getting injured.
I have decided to stick with the S&S program from peoples recommendations here.

Thank you all!

Hello,

@Gaijin
S&S is not really an hypertrophy program. It helps to have visible abs if you have a proper diet. Shoulders will also take a little volume (well, depending of your current volume of course !)

You have to be confident in what you are doing and take pleasure in what you do.

Give a try in S&S for some months. Sure you will not be disapointed !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I read some research (can't remember where) that showed great benefit from sticking to an approach for minimum 10 weeks
I recommend thinking in 3-month blocks, about 13 weeks. This works on a many levels, including allowing one to plan for athletic competitions, typically twice a year for a powerlifter.

I started [Simple and Sinister] and my body (particularly my shoulders) were feeling a lot healthier......But about 2 weeks in i had a 'fear' that i would start to lose size,that my arms would shrink,that muscles may get neglected...I then switched to a Bodybuilding style program,start to get aches and pains,and the cycle repeats itself.

Consider reading and following a program from Beyond Bodybuilding or Power To The People Professional. These are "get bigger and be as strong as you look" programs that should work for your goals.

Pick up a goal > practice > meet the goal > switch, rinse and repeat.

Having a traning log here on the forum will certainly help.
Great advice on both points.

-S-

@Gaijin
The most important part of a program? Finishing it.

You may look in the mirror or training log and find you "have it all" sooner than you think.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom