all posts post new thread

Barbell Low back barbell squat Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Also, I saw @Steve Freides ask for a goblet squat video on another squat form check and since I do them as part of my warmup anyway I threw in a video of that in case it helps pinpoint issues I can work on.
If your intention is the back squat with a barbell, then I would work on that goblet squat first. Watch the video in this article by StrongFirst's Director of Education, @Brett Jones:

Here's another very good video from Louka Kurcer, StrongFirst Certified Elite and Team Leader: I've started the link right at the demonstration of the goblet squat but please watch the whole thing if you can:

To put this into some perspective, I don't think your goblet squat is dangerous, but neither are you showing the kind of form that you want to show in the goblet squat in order to know that you're ready to do a safe, heavy barbell back squat.

-S-

If your intention is the back squat with a barbell, then I would work on that goblet squat first. Watch the video in this article by StrongFirst's Director of Education, @Brett Jones:

Here's another very good video from Louka Kurcer, StrongFirst Certified Elite and Team Leader: I've started the link right at the demonstration of the goblet squat but please watch the whole thing if you can:

To put this into some perspective, I don't think your goblet squat is dangerous, but neither are you showing the kind of form that you want to show in the goblet squat in order to know that you're ready to do a safe, heavy barbell back squat.

-S-

Oh boy, this gives me a lot to work on. I’ll try to focus some more on form and post back in a little bit after trying some of the techniques in that video. Squats are admittedly my worst movements, so it may take some time but I appreciate the help and I’ll stick with it.

Working on progressively increasing ROM is also a form of progression..

Focus on getting deep enough with good form and really own it, over time, go a few inches deeper..

Remember that once you're working on the back squat, getting below parallel is enough

Ok, I’ve been focusing on my goblet squats and really pulling myself down, and also working on the butt wink through ankle mobility as I found that to be the most limiting factor for me. I think form looks a lot better, of course the weight here is a lot less as well at only 170lbs so it let me focus more on form. I really felt like I had the groove good today, any other nitpicks to help me keep this form while the weight increases?

Ok, I’ve been focusing on my goblet squats and really pulling myself down, and also working on the butt wink through ankle mobility as I found that to be the most limiting factor for me. I think form looks a lot better, of course the weight here is a lot less as well at only 170lbs so it let me focus more on form. I really felt like I had the groove good today, any other nitpicks to help me keep this form while the weight increases?

Looks solid bro. You kept that back locked in tight, knees stayed exactly where they should be. How do your elbows, shoulders, and wrists feel?

Looks solid bro. You kept that back locked in tight, knees stayed exactly where they should be. How do your elbows, shoulders, and wrists feel?
I did the shoulder stretch from the video Anna posted earlier in this thread prior to squats, so my shoulders felt fine, and my wrists have never had a problem. But I do still feel a bit of pain on the inside part of my elbow. It's the same location I have had golfer's elbow in the past, but it goes away pretty quickly after I put the bar down.

I did the shoulder stretch from the video Anna posted earlier in this thread prior to squats, so my shoulders felt fine, and my wrists have never had a problem. But I do still feel a bit of pain on the inside part of my elbow. It's the same location I have had golfer's elbow in the past, but it goes away pretty quickly after I put the bar down.
I asked because with where your elbows are, there's a chance your grip could contribute to elbow pain, or may in the future when the weights get heavier. Take a look at this video and see if changing your grip helps - Elbow Pain While Squatting? Fix Your Squat Grip | Barbell Logic

I mention this from previous experience getting severe elbow tendonitis from squatting. It wouldn't normally cause an issue for me until north of 225-250lbs. Cranky elbows from lifting really messes with BJJ. I haven't read all the thread, and I do not know how SF teaches the squat. I'm just going off of what I saw in your last video and my experience.

Those looked good Shawn. I would do a session of a lot more reps at that weight (5 x 5? or whatever you like), filming each set. If you see that you did all your sets and reps looking like these, then add 5 lbs the next time. Repeat the process. In a few weeks you will be consistently doing all your reps the same.

I asked because with where your elbows are, there's a chance your grip could contribute to elbow pain, or may in the future when the weights get heavier. Take a look at this video and see if changing your grip helps - Elbow Pain While Squatting? Fix Your Squat Grip | Barbell Logic

I mention this from previous experience getting severe elbow tendonitis from squatting. It wouldn't normally cause an issue for me until north of 225-250lbs. Cranky elbows from lifting really messes with BJJ. I haven't read all the thread, and I do not know how SF teaches the squat. I'm just going off of what I saw in your last video and my experience.
Thank you for that, I will try this during my next session to see if it feels better.

I’m not sure how SF teaches the barbell squat, but @Steve Freides posted a couple videos regarding goblet squats that summed up most of the movement. It didn’t of course involve the grip, so this should help. I am signed up to go to Barbell 101 in a couple weeks, but I don’t think the squat is being taught at that since it’s based on PTTP.

Those looked good Shawn. I would do a session of a lot more reps at that weight (5 x 5? or whatever you like), filming each set. If you see that you did all your sets and reps looking like these, then add 5 lbs the next time. Repeat the process. In a few weeks you will be consistently doing all your reps the same.
Sounds like a good plan, thank you.

I am signed up to go to Barbell 101 in a couple weeks, but I don’t think the squat is being taught at that since it’s based on PTTP.
I think you're right. I will note that the online barbell course does include the back squat.

-S-

But I do still feel a bit of pain on the inside part of my elbow. It's the same location I have had golfer's elbow in the past, but it goes away pretty quickly after I put the bar down.
Try paying close attention to where the weight is as you squat.. It should be on your back and not in not in your hands. The hands are are just there to wedge the bar into place and hold it there. Take some of your warm up sets, go verrrry slow, and pay attention throughout the whole movement as to if the bar/weight shifting into your hands. It's one of those things that's really hard to pay attention to with a heavy squat, and it can really strain your wrists, arms, and elbows if it is happening.

Nice!

I think you're ready to drop the weight a bit and do some ATG barbell front squats! :)
Well, I’ve been doing some Zercher squats, but I can’t even hold an actual front rack. Talk about an elbow and wrist killer…I need a lot more mobility for that.

FWIW, at least at the USPA Nationals I attended in July, your depth would get you red-lighted from the side judges. You don't need to be a lot deeper, but you're just barely getting the top of your thigh to parallel as I see it, and you must break parallel in order to pass a lift. This is only nitpicking if you compete, but it's always, always good to be able to squat a light weight below what you need to.

-S-

Lookin good!

BJJ,
A few thoughts from a competitive PLer here.
1. You have a high bar placement doing a low bar hip-knee pattern. With a hip back dominant pattern the high bar is gonna cause forward lean and difficulty hitting depth.
2. If that is as low as you can get the bar on the shoulders then I would adopt a high bar pattern with the hips going down rather than back. Less of a hip hinge and a little more accordion.
3. Definitely lower thr safeties
4. When unracking get your shoulders set and deep belly breath in before the unrack. Getting the unrack done and then doing that bracing breath I to the chest is gonna be a disaster later on. In the video, after unracking but before going down, you can see the bar shift up a bit and the elbows going back...this is from breathing into the chest and not the abdomen.

Hope this helps some.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom