all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Low back soreness, swing feedback

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nicolapc

First Post
Hi All,

I've been aspiring towards Simple (of simple and sinister) since March 2020 and this is my first time posting. Can you please provide me with feedback on my swing? One thing to note, besides the additional context below: my low back has been sore since July and I believe it's due to improper form but can't identify the form failure myself. Thank you!

- 16kg
- 24kg
- 16kg, one arm

- injury history: My low back doesn't hurt during the workout but stiffens up after the workout. After my S&S workout I do the stretches in the book and ice my low back. The soreness doesn't limit me physically. S&S is my primary workout, additional exercise comes in the form of taking my 9 month old son on walks and playing with him, no restrictions or pain.

- relevant demographics: I'm 32, male, 5 feet 11 inches, 175 lbs

- movement history: my body is in good working order, most nights I stretch parts of my body using the exercises in Kelly Starrett's Supple Leopard book

- sports/competition history: S&S is my primary workout, otherwise I walk and play with my 9 month old son, when he grows up I'll resume playing golf and maybe do some triathlons

-where do you want to go from here: I want to get to 10 sets of 10 swings at 24kg, take a break around the holidays, then pick it up to his the 32kg simple goal; in general I'm trying to do minimal exercise as possible to stay in decent shape with young kids. When the kids are older and I have more time I'll definitely pick up golf and perhaps get back into triathlon.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello Nicolapc,

Try to stack the ribs on top of the movement by bracing your abs and glutes.
By doing that you'll lock your spine. I can't see it clearly in the video because of the darkness and thick clothes, but I assume you're pulling from your lower back instead pushing out trough the hips.

Hope that helps.

Hello,
I've been experiencing similar symptoms. I feel good during the workout, but lower back soreness in the afternoon. I posted about that here and got great advice. I'll report on my progress on that thread, and keep tabs on yours.
I also found this video recently and found it helpful:
Max

Work on the technique, go back to the dead strings and start with the correct setting. Try to "stick" your feet to the floor, pay attention to the movement of your knees, keep your knee straight, and work your ankle with your hips, take the weight off the ground. focus on the proper attachment, especially of the belly of the buttocks and the widest back. You have a disturbed rhythm of movement. Remember that we generate strength from the hips, so they are mainly supposed to work, not the knees. I greet you quickly :)

Couple of things (and some of these have already been pointed out):
1) Go back to the KB DL—when you initially pick up the KB you have pretty good positioning and that is more of what your swing should look like. (This is you slow motion opportunity to perfect your swing)
2) Adjust your stance—your feet are not grounded and I suspect you could use a bit of turn out to your stance:
Adjust Your Sails (and Your Stance) with the Lock and Rock | StrongFirst
3) Your first move on the way up is to slide forward into your knees (also called "scooping")—some positive shin angle is perfectly fine during the hinge but it should not increase on the extension. As noted by others, focus on extending the hips into the standing plank.

Hello Nicolapc,

Try to stack the ribs on top of the movement by bracing your abs and glutes.
By doing that you'll lock your spine. I can't see it clearly in the video because of the darkness and thick clothes, but I assume you're pulling from your lower back instead pushing out trough the hips.

Hope that helps.
Good advice, thank you Frank!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom