all posts post new thread

Barbell Low bar squat form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The bench press doesn't work like the leg press machine does.
But the laws of physic do.

None of the bar paths are like that on a Smith machine. I don't think anyone expects that.

That appears to be the implication that some individual believe and are stating

Jerks and Overhead Pressing

The Bar needs to be driving slightly back rather than up in a straight line. That applies to the Bench Press, as well.

Sheiko powerlifting book.

Sound intereseting.

1) What book?

2) Where the book does it over over the Bench Press Bar Path?

3) Can you provide me with a little bit of information on their Bar Path research? f

But the laws of physic do.

That appears to be the implication that some individual believe and are stating

Jerks and Overhead Pressing

The Bar needs to be driving slightly back rather than up in a straight line. That applies to the Bench Press, as well.

Sound intereseting.

1) What book?

2) Where the book does it over over the Bench Press Bar Path?

3) Can you provide me with a little bit of information on their Bar Path research? f

The book is called Powerlifting: Foundations and Methods by Boris Sheiko. I purchased it on Amazon as an e-book just recently.

Among other subjects, the book goes pretty deep in each of the powerlifts, and among other things, has some bar path trajectories for each lift, especially the bench, with some discussion on the matter. For the bench press, they say they have 250 attempts which are then divided by their shape and commonalities into nine different categories of trajectories.

Regarding the three optimal groups, on a quick glance it looks like there is about six inches of horizontal travel on all of them, between the touch on the chest and lockout. The bar ends up at the starting point or a bit towards the face from it. The angles are slightly different, and one trajectory group even has a slight loop at the chest where the bar first moves towards the feet before moving towards the face. None of the three trajectories look like that of Kazmaier or the novice in your example picture.

Regarding his programming, it appears he is heavy on training frequency, volume and variety with relatively light intensity. Bar speed is emphasized for bench press with specific speed work recommended for those lacking.

Their difference in dimensions equate to different Squat Techniques.

View attachment 14290

Meet Maren and Brett, the two latest Glute Squad members. They are the same height, but their torso and femur proportions differ markedly. Maren has a longer torso and shorter femurs, whereas Brett has a short torso and long femurs. See how much higher Brett’s hip joint center is compared to Maren’s?

Maren can stay very upright, prefers high bar squats, and goes very deep.

View attachment 14291

I'm built like Maren. Long torso, short legs -- I'm about 5'11", but my inseam is only 30 inches.

My high bar squat also looks like Maren's, including her wider stance and the way she cocks her feet out.

I've been tempted to upgrade to Leistung series, but that BOA lacing system looks goofy:

Yeah, don't know if that would count as an 'upgrade'. I know a couple of lifters who use them and while they're a decent shoe, the lacing system is somewhat overengineered and prone to failure (although you can apparently 'bodge' a repair just by buying longer laces and re-lacing the shoes to cross over where the boa dial thingy is).

Worth keeping an eye out on eBay (or whatever your 'used items for sale' website of choice is) for a bargain.

Got some Romaleos 2 recently. The hype is deserved.

In an attempt to get back on topic, pretty much any weightlifting shoe I've owned has been more than good enough for squats. I had some Reebok CrossFit lifter Pros that I picked up second hand for cheap (£25 if memory serves) and they had probably the smallest heel raise of any lifting shoe I've owned but were more than adequate for Oly lifting and were probably the best general purpose shoe for heavy barbell work. Kind of wish I hadn't sold them now.

Yeah, don't know if that would count as an 'upgrade'. I know a couple of lifters who use them and while they're a decent shoe, the lacing system is somewhat overengineered and prone to failure (although you can apparently 'bodge' a repair just by buying longer laces and re-lacing the shoes to cross over where the boa dial thingy is).

Worth keeping an eye out on eBay (or whatever your 'used items for sale' website of choice is) for a bargain.

Got some Romaleos 2 recently. The hype is deserved.

In an attempt to get back on topic, pretty much any weightlifting shoe I've owned has been more than good enough for squats. I had some Reebok CrossFit lifter Pros that I picked up second hand for cheap (£25 if memory serves) and they had probably the smallest heel raise of any lifting shoe I've owned but were more than adequate for Oly lifting and were probably the best general purpose shoe for heavy barbell work. Kind of wish I hadn't sold them now.

I have only ever used these Reebok Lifter PR Cross Trainer, so I have nothing to compare them to, but the heel isn't very extreme and the wide base makes all my lifts feel more stable. I know that most of the time you want to do what feels good, but is there any reason you would not want to wear shoes like this for low bar back squats if it's not covering for a mobility issue and feels better? I also use them for deadlifts because my current deadlift platform is a hard plastic pallet with grates that are impossible to stand on barefoot, but they seem to work quite well for deadlifting as well.

Amazon product ASIN B01A95P636

I have only ever used these Reebok Lifter PR Cross Trainer, so I have nothing to compare them to, but the heel isn't very extreme and the wide base makes all my lifts feel more stable. I know that most of the time you want to do what feels good, but is there any reason you would not want to wear shoes like this for low bar back squats if it's not covering for a mobility issue and feels better? I also use them for deadlifts because my current deadlift platform is a hard plastic pallet with grates that are impossible to stand on barefoot, but they seem to work quite well for deadlifting as well.

Amazon product ASIN B01A95P636
How do these compare sizing-wise w. other Reebok shoes? How about room for the toes? I'm looking for a new OL shoe.

How do these compare sizing-wise w. other Reebok shoes? How about room for the toes? I'm looking for a new OL shoe.
Hmm, sorry, I’m really not sure as these are the only pair of Reebok shoes I’ve owned in many years. I can tell you that I have a slightly wide foot, not super wide, and I usually wear a 10.5. I got these in a 10.5 and they fit perfect, without being too tight. I’ve never done Olympic lifting, and only just started with the power lifts, but so far I started to wear them every time I lift as it just makes it more comfortable.

Hmm, sorry, I’m really not sure as these are the only pair of Reebok shoes I’ve owned in many years. I can tell you that I have a slightly wide foot, not super wide, and I usually wear a 10.5. I got these in a 10.5 and they fit perfect, without being too tight. I’ve never done Olympic lifting, and only just started with the power lifts, but so far I started to wear them every time I lift as it just makes it more comfortable.
Thank you!

Following up on the earlier discussion of what kind of shoes people squat in and why, I created an informal poll on the US Powerlifting Association (USPA) group on Facebook. Here's what I got:

1. High Bar, Oly shoes. (3 people or 7%)
2. High Bar, flat shoes. (6 people or 14%)
3. Low Bar, Oly shoes. (14 people or 32.5%)
4. Low Bar, flat shoes. (20 people or 46.5%)

So, there you have it. It's a public FB group if anyone wishes to join - you could then read the comments along with the results. Link:

-S-

Thanks Anna! That's very useful advice. Looking back at the videos, indeed, my back is much more upright on the descent compared to the ascent. I am actually trying to stay upright to avoid "lifting with my back" but maybe this is a part of the issue. Will definitely try to keep a more horizontal back angle throughout the squat.
Hi again,
Have been trying to use a more horizontal back angle on the descent so that it does not change too much on the ascent. I also put a ball to touch when squatting to make sure I got below parallel.
Please see a link to my 130kg x5 squat and would be glad to see your comments.

Best Regards!

You look fine, mostly. It's nearly impossible to diagnose or adjust stance width from the side view, at least with only that. Your bar path is dead on, you are moving all over the place under it but it stays dead true over the ankles and that is good. If you were to move from a healed shoe to a flat one, you would use more forward lean to achieve the same bar path and given your leg proportions that may not be good for you with your current stance. The knee thing is commonly related to how you set/angle your feet combined with width. If you are not planning on squatting in equipment or for serious competition it is totally unnecessary to use a wide stance, so don't do that just because all of the PLers do it. Do some pause squats and play with your foot angles and you will likely firm up coming out of the hole. Get some heavy Hamstring/glute work in and you'll stop doing the "Goodmorning" thing. Your body is shifting the load to the quads by doing that, because that s where you individually are stronger, and the raised heel tends to play towards that strength as opposed to the glutes and hammies.
Hello,

Finally managed to record a front view video of my 130kg x5 set. Would be glad to see your comments.

Thanks& Regards!

Hello,

Finally managed to record a front view video of my 130kg x5 set. Would be glad to see your comments.

Thanks& Regards!
I think your squats look great! I would just recommend getting a bigger breath in before each rep. I recently incorporated this after reading the following article and saw a big diff in how tight and stable I am able to keep my back throughout each of my lifts:

Another thing that helped me when I was trying to fix my goodmorning squats was to better control the descent and making sure I was pulling myself down rather than just letting the weight come down and then trying to reverse that at the bottom. It's hard to tell, b/c this looks like a submaximal set for you, but I would see if that helps as well.

I think your squats look great! I would just recommend getting a bigger breath in before each rep. I recently incorporated this after reading the following article and saw a big diff in how tight and stable I am able to keep my back throughout each of my lifts:

Another thing that helped me when I was trying to fix my goodmorning squats was to better control the descent and making sure I was pulling myself down rather than just letting the weight come down and then trying to reverse that at the bottom. It's hard to tell, b/c this looks like a submaximal set for you, but I would see if that helps as well.
Many thanks for the input, I will definitely check both suggestions.

I wonder sometimes that if a lift takes this much instruction if it is not completely contrived.

I wonder sometimes that if a lift takes this much instruction if it is not completely contrived.
“Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick. Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick.” - Bruce Lee

There's a lot to squatting correctly. It is simple, but not easy.

There's a lot to squatting correctly. It is simple, but not easy
  • Stance. Squat with your heels shoulder-width apart. Put your heels under your shoulders.
  • Feet. Turn your feet out 30°. Keep your whole foot flat on the floor. Don’t raise your toes or heels.
  • Knees. Push your knees to the side, in the direction of your feet. Lock your knees at the top of each rep.
  • Hips. Bend your hips and knees at the same time. Move your hips back and down while pushing your knees out.
  • Lower Back. Squat with a natural arch like when you stand. No rounding or excess arching. Keep your back neutral.
  • Grip. Squeeze the bar hard. But don’t try to support heavy weight with your hands. Let your upper-back carry the bar.
  • Grip Width. Use a medium grip, narrower than when you Bench Press. Your hands should be outside your shoulders.
  • Bar Position. Put the bar between your traps and rear shoulders (low bar) or on your traps (high bar). Center the bar.
  • Wrists. Your wrists will bend and hurt if you try to support the bar with your hands. Carry it with your upper-back.
  • Elbows. Behind your torso at the top, not vertical or horizontal. Inline with your torso at the bottom of your Squat.
  • Upper-back. Arch your upper-back to create support for the bar. Squeeze your shoulder-blades and raise your chest.
  • Chest. Raise your chest before you unrack the bar. Keep it up and tight by taking a big breath before you Squat down.
  • Head. Keep your head inline with your torso. Don’t look at the ceiling or at your feet. Don’t turn your head sideways.
  • Back Angle. Not vertical or horizontal but diagonal. The exact back angle depends on your build and bar position.
  • Unracking. Put the bar on your back and your feet under the bar. Unrack it by straightening your legs. Walk back.
  • Way Down. Bend your hips and knees at the same time. Hips back, knees out. Keep your lower back neutral.
  • Depth. Squat down until your hips are lower than your knees. Thighs parallel isn’t enough. Break parallel.
  • Way Up. Move you hips straight up. Keep your knees out, your chest up and your head neutral.
  • Between Reps. Stand with your hips and knees locked. Breathe. Get tight for the next rep.
  • Racking. Lock your hips and knees. Then step forward, hit the rack and bend your knees.
  • Bar Path. Move the bar in a vertical line over your mid-foot. No horizontal movement.
  • Breathing. Big breath at the top. Hold it at the bottom. Exhale at the top.
This was the very first and one of the shorter lists I found. Seems kinda contrived. You really notice it when you go to teach a youngster how many different variables you have to teach and make them aware of. I like squats because they are super effective, but I often wonder if they are not really a made up movement or a movement that was never supposed to be done with extreme weight.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom