all posts post new thread

Nutrition Low Carb Fruit

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Scott

Level 7 Valued Member
For those following a low carb eating plan, here are a few fruits that are lower in carbs if you miss fruit like I do...

Plum - 1
30g Calories/0.2g Fat/0.9g Fiber/7.5g Carbs/6.6g Net Carbs/0.5g Protein

Raspberries - 1 cup
65g Calories/0.5g Fat/8g Fiber/15g Carbs/7g Net Carbs/1.5g Protein

Clementine - 1
35g Calories/0.1g Fat/1.3g Fiber/9g Carbs/7.7g Net Carbs/0.6g Protein

Kiwi - 1
42g Calories/0.4g Fat/2.1g Fiber/10g Carbs/7.9g Net Carbs/0.8g Protein

Orange - 1 sm
45g Calories/0.1g Fat/2.3g Fiber/11g Carbs/8.7g Net Carbs/0.9g Protein

Strawberries - 1 cup
53g Calories/0.5g Fat/3.3g Fiber/12g Carbs/8.7g Net Carbs/1g Protein

Grapefruit - 1/2 fruit
52g Calories/0.2g Fat/2g Fiber/13g Carbs/11g Net Carbs/0.9g Protein

Peach - 1
59g Calories/0.4g Fat/2.3g Fiber/14g Carbs/11.7g Net Carbs/1.4g Protein

Orange - 1 med
62g Calories/0.16g Fat/3.1g Fiber/15.39g Carbs/12.29g Net Carbs/1.23g Protein

Apricots - 1 cup sliced
79g Calories/0.6g Fat/3.3g Fiber/18g Carbs/14.7g Net Carbs/2.3g Protein

Grapes, Red Seedless - 32 grapes
62g Calories/0.3g Fat/0.8g Fiber/15.8g Carbs/15g Net Carbs/0.6g Protein

Grapes, Green Seedless - 32 grapes
87g Calories/0.2g Fat/1.1g Fiber/23g Carbs/21.9g Net Carbs/0.9g Protein

Grapes - 32 grapes
62g Calories/0.3g Fat/0.8g Fiber/16g Carbs/15.2g Net Carbs/0.6g Protein

Apples, Red Delicious
72g Calories/0.23g Fat/3.3g Fiber/19.06g Carbs/15.76g Net Carbs/0.36g Protein

Blueberries - 1 cup
85g Calories/0.5g Fat/3.6g Fiber/21g Carbs/17.4g Net Carbs/1.1g Protein

Pineapple -1 cup
82g Calories/0.2g Fat/2.2g Fiber/19.6g Carbs/17.4g Net Carbs/0.8g Protein

Pear - 1 med
102g Calories/0.2g Fat/6g Fiber/27g Carbs/21g Net Carbs/0.6g Protein

Banana - 1 med
105g Calories/0.4g Fat/3.1g Fiber/27g Carbs/23.9g Net Carbs/1.3g Protein

Is it the carb count itself or the glycemic index/load that matters most?

E.g. Is 30g of carbs in hard candy (about 6 Jolly Ranchers) the same metabolically as 30g of carbs in blueberries (about two handfuls, 1.5 cups)?

I wonder if any experiments have been done comparing one person eating <30g carbs a day but having it be candy, compare to fruit, compared to all carbs being starch and not sugar.

Is it the carb count itself or the glycemic index/load that matters most?

E.g. Is 30g of carbs in hard candy (about 6 Jolly Ranchers) the same metabolically as 30g of carbs in blueberries (about two handfuls, 1.5 cups)?

I wonder if any experiments have been done comparing one person eating <30g carbs a day but having it be candy, compare to fruit, compared to all carbs being starch and not sugar.

What is the effect you'd be studying/looking for? If its elevated BG levels a couple of factors will come into play.

I'd imagine one could do a quick calculation of glycemic index divided by serving size/load. That should tell you how long the BG levels are elevated and roughly by how much.

You'd also have to factor in individual insulin response - healthy people who eat more carbs tend to have better insulin response than healthy people on a VLC diet. This factor alone might be a larger factor than Index value or serving size in some cases (within reason).

Looking at the Index values I'm a little surprised that some of the starchy foods have a higher value than many fruits. A Baguette has a higher value than Gatorde. Amylase is potent stuff.

Rather than low carb fruit, how about low nutrient fruit? It's a very short list, in fact it's not a list at all. Fruit is good, why concern over the carb content?
I'm a pig. Couple of pieces of fruit and some double cream makes me stuffed. I can't eat a lot of fruit anyway, very filling.

What is the effect you'd be studying/looking for? If its elevated BG levels a couple of factors will come into play.

I'd imagine one could do a quick calculation of glycemic index divided by serving size/load. That should tell you how long the BG levels are elevated and roughly by how much.

You'd also have to factor in individual insulin response - healthy people who eat more carbs tend to have better insulin response than healthy people on a VLC diet. This factor alone might be a larger factor than Index value or serving size in some cases (within reason).

Looking at the Index values I'm a little surprised that some of the starchy foods have a higher value than many fruits. A Baguette has a higher value than Gatorde. Amylase is potent stuff.
For keto, the effect I'd be interested in is the extent the composition of the same amount (grams) of a carb food (mostly fructose? mostly starch?) knocks one out of ketosis / how long it takes to get back into it.

I'd think any of them if it exceeded the total level of carbs would do it. Is a good question, what effect does the Index value and total load have on keto? I would also think foods with high Index scores would be a higher "risk" - a handful of high Index foods spread out over the day yet still theoretically under the nominal keto value might cause more trouble than a bunch of veges.

I'd be amazed if someone hadn't already done the leg-work for a bunch of food items.

With the total carb allowance on a keto diet, it looks like the best kinds of fruit would be very small ones...

Last edited:
Rob Wolfe talks about this (and offers a way to test yourself) in his latest book but glycemic response is highly variable. People respond differently to different carbs. In other words, your glycemic response is going to be different than mine. The idea that you can provide a typical glycemic response chart that most people can use has been invalidated by this study. Read about it here: http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(15)01481-6

Incidentally, I have tried Rob's test with white potatoes and oat bran. 2 hours after 50g of carb from white potato my BG was 125, after 50g of oat bran it was 83. Big difference! Next week I'll test a few more carbs (apples, rice ....)

Keep in mind to look at the big picture. One rareley has only one food item. If you have fat and fibre alongside the effect will be much less pronunced.

Keep in mind to look at the big picture. One rareley has only one food item. If you have fat and fibre alongside the effect will be much less pronunced.

Yes, eat some fermented vegetables, then even more vegetables, drink some apple cider vinegar, put some butter on the sweet potato, then check your index.

Also boil the potato rather than roast it. Boiling the potato alone will drastically reduce its glycemic index.

Cups? What is your weird fascination with cups? Why not just have every fruit listed at 100 grams and their contents in it?

That said, I have noticed big differences with how my body reacts to different kinds of fruit. I can eat a lot of tomato and use it a lot in cooking and it's an easy and tasty way to add some healthy fruit into the diet. Although I'm not sure if you'd call tomato a fruit.

When it gets to the more sugary stuff I like apples and plums the most. They are tasty and a welcome snack or dessert but I rarely want to eat more than a little. If I go for my favourites, dates and figs, I could eat and eat and eat as they make me hungry.

When it comes to carb sources on a meal, I notice clear differences there as well. It takes a bit of effort to eat 400 grams of potato, which have a little over 50 grams of net carbs. I can easily eat 200 grams of of rice, which has 160 grams of net carbs. The rice makes me hungrier and makes me want to eat more. I also often like to have some dessert after a meal with rice, but hardly ever with potatoes.

After learning these patterns it's been easier to regulate my weight. When I want to lose some, I concentrate on eating mostly potatoes as my carb source, and some fruits like plums and apples. When I want to gain weight, I eat rice and all the fruit I like.

For me it is time of day and total load that I really feel. My personal favorites are melon and citrus, with banana on a rotation.

If eat a ton of fruit I'll feel a slight flush - comparable to a cup of coffee. I normally eat a good sized serving of fruit about 45 minutes before I exercise, seems to make a difference. When I used to train BB I ate a ton of fruit on heavy lifting days - would have trouble sleeping that night if I had to cancel my workout.

1 cup servings or a single whole fruit don't normally elicit any real perceivable reaction. The earlier in the day the less I am aware of any response.

I listed cups because that was the information given that I was sharing with the forum. Why would I list the serving size as 100 grams? ;)

I love fruit as a snack, and not having any was tough. I am adding one serving of fruit a day, to see how my BG reacts, and how my body as a whole reacts to the added carb intake. The tough part with fruit, that we seem to share, is moderation.

I will try the potato as a carb source, I did have a sweet potato on Friday, with some butter, and that was rather good.

Cups? What is your weird fascination with cups? Why not just have every fruit listed at 100 grams and their contents in it?

That said, I have noticed big differences with how my body reacts to different kinds of fruit. I can eat a lot of tomato and use it a lot in cooking and it's an easy and tasty way to add some healthy fruit into the diet. Although I'm not sure if you'd call tomato a fruit.

When it gets to the more sugary stuff I like apples and plums the most. They are tasty and a welcome snack or dessert but I rarely want to eat more than a little. If I go for my favourites, dates and figs, I could eat and eat and eat as they make me hungry.

When it comes to carb sources on a meal, I notice clear differences there as well. It takes a bit of effort to eat 400 grams of potato, which have a little over 50 grams of net carbs. I can easily eat 200 grams of of rice, which has 160 grams of net carbs. The rice makes me hungrier and makes me want to eat more. I also often like to have some dessert after a meal with rice, but hardly ever with potatoes.

After learning these patterns it's been easier to regulate my weight. When I want to lose some, I concentrate on eating mostly potatoes as my carb source, and some fruits like plums and apples. When I want to gain weight, I eat rice and all the fruit I like.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom