all posts post new thread

Nutrition Low carbs - The Oxygen Problem

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I got this in my email today, which pertains to this discussion.

Adrian Ballinger and Everest

The man mentioned, Adrian Ballinger is already a world class climber. He was attempting to climb Everest without supplemental oxygen and had to turn back. Subsequent testing showed that he was relying on carbs and became glycogen depleted causing his hands and feet to get cold.

With some changes to his training and nutrition, he drastically altered his aerobic threshold and changed what his body prefers for fuel.

Now keep in mind a large portion of the climb is in the death zone, meaning there is not enough oxygen to sustain life. A climber must quickly summit and turn back or die.

So with that in mind, oxygen is a very precious commodity, if the need for extra oxygen when using fat for fuel was an issue, this is the place you would see it.

@Darren Best, thank you for posting this. It's interesting for a non-scientist like me to see glycolysis mentioned in contexts other than our own here at StrongFirst.

-S-

Also of note... in that article that @Darren Best kindly posted is that It was written by Scott Johnston who along with Steve House authored Training for the New Alpinism. (A book I highly recommend (and mention quite often here) for any serious endurance and strength/endurance athlete)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom