all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Low Tech Gainz

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
This is from awhile ago, but I first of it the other day on Mike Mahler's podcast:

https://livelifeaggressiv ely.libsyn.com/lla-ep-245-vegan-ifbb -pro-bodybuilder-nimai-de lgado

They begin by discussing these guys training in one of the world's largest refugee camps in Uganda. Homemade equipment, don't know the loads, don't always get enough food, yet they still make progress.
Makes most excuses seem pretty lame.

Short Video:

Longer Story:

Makes the typical whining about macros and how many grams of protein per lb yada yada at least a little bit less relevant.

For you DIY home trainers, dig their gear!

This is from awhile ago, but I first of it the other day on Mike Mahler's podcast:

https://livelifeaggressiv ely.libsyn.com/lla-ep-245-vegan-ifbb -pro-bodybuilder-nimai-de lgado

They begin by discussing these guys training in one of the world's largest refugee camps in Uganda. Homemade equipment, don't know the loads, don't always get enough food, yet they still make progress.
Makes most excuses seem pretty lame.

Short Video:

Longer Story:

Makes the typical whining about macros and how many grams of protein per lb yada yada at least a little bit less relevant.

For you DIY home trainers, dig their gear!

Nothing is more satisfying than training with homemade gear. I made some rings half a decade ago, which I still use from time to time. I made a mace late last year as well. If I could only cast my own KBs...

One of the things that struck me was the attitude and mental side. Training hard had more benefits than costs. These aren’t worried about spraying social media, followers, flame wars, or trolls. Just training for the joy of it.

If you enjoy this kind of stuff you might check out rosstraining.com

Ross Emanit is a boxing trainer who is a big believer in homemade gear. There are links to all kind of do-it-yourself gear. He is not a fan of kettlebells, and mainly does high intensity circuits, but he is a pretty impressive guy.

Just some more proof that a poor method performed consistently, is better then the best method performed inconsistently.

Ross Emanit is a boxing trainer who is a big believer in homemade gear. There are links to all kind of do-it-yourself gear. He is not a fan of kettlebells, and mainly does high intensity circuits, but he is a pretty impressive guy.

Great suggestion. Never Gymless is a neverending inspiration for variety days or longer absence from kettlebell/barbell training. Since there is no SF-Book about bodyweight training this is my to go book for this kind of exercises.Less shiny than the Kavadlos, not as simple as NW or CC but in summary great in details. A absolute must-have in my opinion.

To be precise this book was written by Pavel but is published under the DD-label and was mentioned in my post. Strong First is lacking an actual update. Would love to see a book by Karen Smith for example. Heard only great things about the SFB-manual.

In my opinion NW is a very essential book to understand tension techniques and it absolutely delivers! I hold this book in high regards and I would place it on rank two of my fitness-/strength books. Its focus is on very efficient movements with a specific goal: Reaching the OAPU and pistol as efficient tools for whole body strength. But to be honest sometimes you want (need?) a little bit more variety or more sport specific exercices. This is where Never Gymless delivers.

Last edited:
For my regular strength training I also prefer to keep it as simple and effective as possible, which is why I dig S+S and Deadlifts.

If I have time to spare I sometimes like to play around with different bodyweight movements or with my rings. Fun, not training. It´s like diet. For daily life you choose good and healthy food, but sometimes it´s nice to have a an milk shake. :D

Maybe a example shows what I mean with sport specific variety. A boxer needs to be strong, fast and explosive. For travels: You can deadlift in nearly every gym, which gives you great full body strength, but it will always be more of a grind. The swing or snatch would be ideal for the explosive part, but not every gym owns kettlebells. A good option could be to supplement the deadlift with the broad jump (which is also a swing progression if I´m right?). This is how Ross book works: What feature are you after? Strength, Explosiveness, Conditioning? Choose from this menue which fits you best.

I absolutely wouldn´t recommend him for training modalities, since he´s more of a HIT-guy. SF in general delivers the better and well rounded answers for sure! An experienced Strong First coach has right answers for the specific needs quickly available and can choose a approbiate exercise from the SF-toolbox, as seen here everyday, but we regulars sometimes need inspiration. ;)

I'd say Ross trains the way he does for a reason, to stay in fighting condition. In that respect, as a former competitive boxer and trainer of people for the ring, I'd say his approach has legs.

I don't think it's ideal for the everyman, but if you're getting in the ring you could do a lot worse than train the way he tells you.

A good option could be to supplement the deadlift with the broad jump (which is also a swing progression if I´m right?).

An excellent pairing!

Lo-tech doesn't have to be simple. No thank you to the muscle confusion stuff, but specificity says we get strong in fairly specific ways, right down to contraction speed and joint angle. On top of that, from a personality standpoint alone I'd probably stop training if I had no variety. Or at least stop training with a lot of intent.

Correct. For the last few months, it’s one-arm push-ups and barbell deadlifts. I talked about my programming in another thread - I’m using Pavel’s blog where he adds variety to S&S, as my model.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom