all posts post new thread

Old Forum Lower Back Ache

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJRick

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,

I recently posted about a dull ache in my lower back. I've determined that the aches is due to small flaws in my swing, and simply doing a lot of swings the past couple months. I've rested for a week, and the ache seems to be improving slowly but is still there.

My question is, would it be harmful to reintroduce get ups to my training next week, while holding off on swings until the ache stops? Maybe some rope skipping for cardio?

Thank you again Strong First!

All of my experience with lower back discomfort has been related to overworking my quads. Consistent, painful, regular foam rolling and lacrosse ball work on the hip flexors and upper quads made dramatic improvements. Give it a go. It's certainly a safe route to explore.

Sound advice! Is it worth buying one or will a rolling pin or PVC pipe give me the same (possibly better since they are harder)benefits?

Also, is there a limit to how much I can foam roll? Is it a good idea to foam roll before a training session or will that compromise my performance?

Currently, I have been doing GTG 32kg get ups until I feel I am ready to swing again.

NJRick- the best scenario for you is to find an SFG instructor, get an assessment to find out your movement baseline and address the problem. Foam rolling is not bad at all, but wouldn't you rather figure out the reason why your lower back is achy and have an experienced instructor help with correctives and technique issues?

A good instructor should be able to help in 1 session.

Mike,

I've met with two different instructors and fixed my form recently. I think my injury is simply from doing too much too quick, alongside with bad form I've had in the past.

NJRick- fixing technique is one thing and clearing up movement restrictions is another. Clean up restrictions and imbalances 1st, then hammer technique. It doesn't work too well in the opposite order.

As you mentioned, prior bad form and too much volume too early can all be issues.

In my experience PVC is a great tool if you can relax enough during the usage. It is quite painful to roll out on strict PVC and if it's so painful that your body stiffens up during the rolling, it will be counterproductive. I personally have a few different densities that I use and the PVC I use has a yoga mat glued to the exterior so it has a little bit of cushion. Again, be sure you can relax while using whatever you decide to use or it won't be as helpful.

great! My recovery plan is now looking like a lot of foam rolling, GTG single get ups, and some rope skipping. If I feel this is too much I'll cut back on the get ups and skipping but keep the rolling. thanks!

NJRick- try to find someone who has experience fixing movement issues, I am partial to the FMS. Where are you located? Lets try to find you someone

Mike, I think that would be worth a try. I live in Monmouth county, centralnew jersey

I may have had a similar experience.  I was doing well with the PM, and wanted to ramp up the weight of my swings.  After doing a few workouts swinging my 32 for sets of 5, I used my 32 for sets of 10 last Monday, a week ago.  Boy, did I feel that, although it felt good at the time.  When Thursday rolled around, I felt like I better go with the 24 for sets of 10.  It felt just fine, although I felt a bit of soreness still.  After doing some chainsaw work and stump carrying last Saturday, I had some serious pain in my lower back, and not just the muscle soreness kind of pain.  It was the sharp pain down near the pelvis that makes me slither when I walk kind of pain.  It is much better now, but I am not ready to work out again quite yet.  When I am ready, I will ease back into it with my 24.  Paying attention to form and intensity, and doing the movements from Becoming Bulletproof might be all I can do for now.  I am in San Antonio now, and am about to move to Corpus Christi next week for a new job.  Getting a movement screen sounds like a good idea, but where? Are most folks finding screening guys from over at the DD site?

NJRick -

Does ab activation help at all, i.e. laying on the floor and pushing your lower back "into the ground" as hard as possible?

Sean

Jeffery, your case definitely sounds more serious. How long did you take off training for? I wouldn't even describe my issue as painful, just a discomfort.  I can even swing and get up with the same bell, I just feel I shouldn't as I notice an increase in discomfort when I do. That is why I started this thread, to figure out what training I could do to maintain my strength and conditioning while healing.

Sean, Yes it seems to, but it's really hard to tell as the discomfort isn't constant, but ab activation certainty doesn't aggravate my back.

Rope skipping for cardio is not the best for back pains, better low impact cardio.

Rick -

Lay down on your back and plaster your low back into the ground for a minute or two a day. It'll fix the low back all quick like.

Sean

Solid advice ^  The following drill from Bullet Proof Abs incorporates what Sean's talking about:

Russian Ballet Leg Thrust.

Lately an article by Nick Tumminello reminded me of this exercise. I started doing it daily and ab wheel progressions twice a week. My nagging back pain is going away and my deadlift is increasing steadily again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom