all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed LSD & Body Composition

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
When I have to go really hard, which is rarely my walls of my nose getting narrow when I have to breathe in hard, that I am forced to take some breaths with my mouth. I want to test some nose plasters or other kind of "hardwear"

Last edited:
When I have to go really hard, which is rarely my walls of my nose getting narrow when I have to breathe in hard, that I am forced to take some breaths with my mouth. I want to test some nose plasters or other kind of "hardwear"
I've got a banged up nose from a few hits when I was younger. I can only nasal breathe under optimal conditions, but it has been improving. Downward dog first thing in the morning used to drive me crazy when I was doing lots of yoga. Years ago I tried those nasal strips for sleeping overnight. Felt like installing a supercharger on my brain.

I am convinced that my aerobic activity, which I don't strive to keep at my MAF maximum but just let fall where it may during relaxed walking, is why I am so much healthier now and less sick now. That and, of course, my strength training. If I had to pick one of the two, I'd pick strength training over any aerobic activity, but easy walking is both healthy and pleasurable.
Mr Freides, do you practice Buteyko daily? If so, how would you describe it's impact in addition to what you have listed here? Thanks.

@The Nail, I apologize for the lateness of my reply.

I practiced Buteyko daily for several years. The usual progression is 4 practice sessions of 15-20 minutes each per day for the first month or until a CP of 60 seconds is achieved, and then many people scale back to twice a day practices. I have a good amount of illness in my history - a blue-in-the-face-from-coughing childhood is probably the high/low-light of it.

I therefore experimented, since Professor Buteyko said anywhere from 60 to 80 seconds is a good range, with keeping my CP higher, and found that around 75 seconds was good for me. More was a bit weird - my teacher has described it as going from fixing your broken commuter car to having a Ferrari to drive through the rush hour. A Ferrari isn't a good commuter car, and while a CP of more than 80 might be good for some high-level athletes, I didn't care for what it felt like.

My current practice is quite vigorous and if I do it more than a couple of times a week, my CP gets too high, so I do one vigorous practice and several others, or I do 2-3 vigorous sessions per week. Vigorous - I breath normally, exhale normally, hold my nose and close my mouth, and start with a relaxed walk which breaks into a jog and then a run and then a sprint, all while not breathing. I cover 150-200 meters in a bit over a minute this way.

The effects of Buteyko practice have been nothing short of life-changing for me. It is a meditative practice, and I am much calmer, have a much easier time concentrating and a much easier time relaxing in my life overall. And after taking asthma and allergy medicines around the clockm 365 days a year for several decades, I have been off them completely for several years and have, quite literally, never felt better.

@aciampa might wish to share his reactions to the practice. I was my honor and pleasure to teach Al as my private student, and he is now a teacher in our school.

-S-

@Harald, they something here called Breathe Right strips - I use them because they let me nose-only breath while jogging. I have, according to the radiology report, a "rather severely deviated septum" and thus have a more limited than usual intake capacity when nose-only breathing. I should get it fixed some day ...

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom