all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mace condition?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
Kinda stupid question, but I still want to ask: we have a broken fixed barbell which losts one side. Could we use that as a mace? Could it bring benefit of mace training? Or the mace was designed with light weight at handle and heavier weight at the end that similar like kettlebell?

A Shoulderok is just an (adjustable) barbell with only one end so I reckon your broken one would work well, provided the size of the wheel isn't big enough to crack you on the calves.

If you're new to it then bear in mind that even half of a small fixed barbell could be an enormously heavy mace to be starting with... I started with a 6kg mace and it's still a lot of force to be wrestling with. A pendulum behind the back is a good starter exercise.

I just picked up a 15lbs mace and have to agree that the weight is deceiving. Maybe I should have grabbed a 10lbs mace, but i think I'm just right between the 10 and 15.

I just picked up a 15lbs mace and have to agree that the weight is deceiving. Maybe I should have grabbed a 10lbs mace, but i think I'm just right between the 10 and 15.
Yeah.. it’s a tough call. I got a 10 and after first using it, I was a bit concerned I should have gone with a 7 to start. (Considering my somewhat dodgy shoulders)
But after a few weeks of use the 10 seems to be working out okay...

(360’s only)

Yeah.. it’s a tough call. I got a 10 and after first using it, I was a bit concerned I should have gone with a 7 to start. (Considering my somewhat dodgy shoulders)

(360’s only)

I‘ve got the full Adex set — club, arc, mace —- and one day I put all the weights on the mace, 35 lbs —- and completely face planted

(360’s only)

I got an 8K mace from Wolf Brigade and used it for 4 months doing only back pendulums to improve my mobility and to bullet proof my elbows against tendonitis. Afterwards, I started doing 360s with a 10lb mace for two weeks, then with a 15lb mace for another two weeks, before moving to the 8K. Even with all that prep, the 8K is still a weight to reckon with.

When I started with maces about a year ago , I got the 4kg , 8kg and 12kg . The 4kg was essential to learn all the moves. Still use it now for warm ups and on recovery days. The 8kg is my workout mace. Own it for all the moves except the 1 hand stuff ( I prefer to use light clubbells for that anyway) . The 12kg is my next project. So far only used for squats and gravediggers. Not even sure it would be that important to learn other moves , but I will give it a go.

I found this topic because I'm in a similar place. I want to start mace work to complement my kettlebells. I had tried this routine called ShovelGlove before, which is a sledgehammer based routine. The gear I'm working with? A "Johnson rod" (maybe 26" piece they took out of my car) and a heavy metal axe. Lol. The rod is good for getting the moves down (it's even weight throughout) and the axe has me doing some 360's and 10-2's. It's about 15 lbs. I'm feeling it in my arms already.

The r/steelmace subreddit is kind of slow; is there a dedicated community out there, or is it more in the orbit of kettlebells?

• Wow
Reactions: TPC
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom