all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Made up pressing program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
This is a pressing program that I have been following for the last ~12 weeks. Just wanted to share it with you guys.

I wanted a program that would not bore me and thereby lead me to stupid things that I have no business doing. I also wanted to wring out the maximum benefit I could from each KB before moving up to a higher bell. KBs don’t go up in weight like a barbell. Thus, the only thing left to manipulate is sets/reps and leverage. This is what I have been doing (with a 16 kg KB):

KB press (the classic standing)

Week 1

3 ladders of 3 rungs; 4L of 3R; 5L of 3R

Week 2

3L of 4R; 4L of 4R; 5L of 4R

Week 3

3L of 5R; 4L of 5R; 5L of 5R

I would hang-clean the bell, do the requisite reps and then change hands.

Second 3 weeks – same sets/reps but with Half Kneeling KB Press. I would clean the KB, perform a reverse lunge. Make sure that my toes are not wedged, i.e. the back of my foot is resting on the ground (so that I don’t get any lift-off from it) and press away. Then get back up and change hands. The most demanding of all the variations that I did, because of all the lunging and getting back up I guess.

Third 3 weeks – Same sets/reps but with Tall Kneeling KB Press. I would clean the KB, kneel down on a mattress. Make sure that my toes are not touching the ground and press. Then get back up and change hands.

Fourth 3 weeks – Same sets/reps but with Savickas Press (Z Press). I set up using the get up, start the rep at the top, i.e. top-bottom-down is 1 rep and not bottom-top-bottom. Press the required number of reps and lie back down and change hands. I am starting the final 12th week this Monday.

No, I did not check my RM before starting the program. Didn’t know about it frankly. I did not miss a single rep anywhere. Cannot say whether this is because of this program or because 16 kg is a bit low for me (I had pressed 55 kg as I remember it for barbell OHP, but that was more than a year ago).

Anyways, I like this program. Not progressing too fast. Enough to keep me challenged throughout. I am wringing out the maximum benefit I can from the bell. I have placed an order for the 20 kg bell. Muay Thai classes are starting back in earnest soon. There are lot of pushups at the end of each class. So, instead of pressing 3 days a week, I will press 2 days a week. This means the program will run for 18 weeks instead of 12. I will test my RM this time and retest at the end of the 18 weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom