all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed MAF Question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ahh, i see. Yes i was being liberal with “your” i see it now. It’s kind of similar to the pacer test used with kids actually, just finding more specific numbers. I haven’t been to the ymca in ages but i might have to use their treadmill and try it out.
Make sure you have a buddy with you to spot you, take notes and intervene in an emergency. Stop the test short if in any kind of discomfort. Also have them take full body short videos from the side and back at several speeds. to review your foot strike, balance, running economy, ...etc.

I regularly take my HR to 95%+ of my age-based max, hence my confidence in undergoing the test without medical supervision. Still, going 95-100% is like red-lining an engine and things can go south pretty quick. Most useful data (if building aerobic base is the goal) are the ones recorded while you're strictly nasal breathing, so don't feel pressured to hit max if you're not comfortable going there.

Test results are useless if recorded with an optical HR sensor, regardless of where it's placed.

Make sure you have a buddy with you to spot you, take notes and intervene in an emergency. Stop the test short if in any kind of discomfort. Also have them take full body short videos from the side and back at several speeds. to review your foot strike, balance, running economy, ...etc.

I regularly take my HR to 95%+ of my age-based max, hence my confidence in undergoing the test without medical supervision. Still, going 95-100% is like red-lining an engine and things can go south pretty quick. Most useful data (if building aerobic base is the goal) are the ones recorded while you're strictly nasal breathing, so don't feel pressured to hit max if you're not comfortable going there.

Test results are useless if recorded with an optical HR sensor, regardless of where it's placed.
You’re probably right, so all things considered i think adding 5 to my MAF is my easy option of choice. @Don Fairbanks said it best, I’m making progress so no real need to fix what ain't broke. I might invest in a chest strap eventually, we’ll see.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom