all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Maffetone Aerobic Training - Session Length and Weekly Volume Guidelines?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I figured that structure would be your advice as it's pretty classic, doable and enjoyable.

To be honest I do live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world so even short rides can be very enjoyable when I just open my eyes and enjoy it but the deep Pacific Northwest woods lie about half an hour to 45 minutes away and that's where I love to play.

As far as commuting by bike: I do that a few times a year but I'm a shift worker with either morning, evening or graveyard shifts meaning I'm leaving the house at 4 am or leaving work at 10 pm and riding on very uninspiring somewhat sketchy roads for 35-40 kms depending on the route. Not very enticing.

Thanks for piping in @offwidth, always appreciated your perspective!
I’m guessing Seattle. (Ex-Vancouver B.C. myself) So I know what you mean.
Commuting on sketchy roads is not fun... (i’ve done way too much of that...)

I’m guessing Seattle. (Ex-Vancouver B.C. myself) So I know what you mean.
Commuting on sketchy roads is not fun... (i’ve done way too much of that...)
Actually I'm in Vancouver ?. Things are still wet here in case you're wondering.

Attachments

• 20201217_090252.jpg
    20201217_090252.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 11
Nice...
(but you shouldn’t call it the PNW... :cool: )

You have some of the best riding (and climbing, and skiiing, and kayaking, and...) on the planet. I commuted year round when I was there.

@Rumsmike

PNW here too, but the other Vancouver, SW WA/PDX. I’m a transplant from SF Bay, arrived just in time for the pandemic and been hiding in the woods from the virus ever since. Not only is the weather miserable, everything is 1-2 hrs away, even though I’m surrounded by forest. Hopefully I can emerge from the barn in spring to a safer world, strong, fit, in a GPP way and ready for shredding trails. Starting to get used to the weather a bit more, but I miss the sun.

Back to you question, my understanding and experience of aerobic training especially MAF is that frequency is the most important thing. So a once a week 3hr ride won’t get you much. Better to do 3x1 hr. Best is 2x1 hr and 1x as long as you can. There’s also a difference in activity. Cycling is less stressful, there’s more coasting than you think, so my experience is that at least an hour is needed, whereas running sessions can be shorter. There is also a big difference regarding terrain. A flat road ride for an hour can be a recovery ride, but a 1 hr MTB ride could be a high intensity effort that requires plenty of recovery.

You’ve got quite a cycling background, so it wouldn’t take long to regain much of it, and maintaining the fitness for the goals you describe wouldn’t take much either.

Addendum

The MAF Method relies on discipline in keeping intensity low, so that every session is repeatable. Maffetone says you feel good when you finish, good enough to go back out and do it again. At least you should feel that you can easily do it again the next day, and the next, and the next . . . To get the most benefit then you have to actually go out and do it again . .

Addendum

The MAF Method relies on discipline in keeping intensity low, so that every session is repeatable. Maffetone says you feel good when you finish, good enough to go back out and do it again. At least you should feel that you can easily do it again the next day, and the next, and the next . . . To get the most benefit then you have to actually go out and do it again . .
Not been doing strict MAF runs as I haven't got a heart rate monitor yet...been using nasal breathing and the talk test...but anyway: Yeah, been feeling f****** amazing after runs. Can still tell you've done some productive exercise but also feel energised and glowing.

Think I'm gonna slow my rate of progress (adding reps / weight) in resistance training right down to just over maintainance levels and keep building a nice aerobic base.

Not been doing strict MAF runs as I haven't got a heart rate monitor yet...been using nasal breathing and the talk test...but anyway: Yeah, been feeling f****** amazing after runs. Can still tell you've done some productive exercise but also feel energised and glowing.

Think I'm gonna slow my rate of progress (adding reps / weight) in resistance training right down to just over maintainance levels and keep building a nice aerobic base.
The talk test is a very good substitute to ensure you are at or below AeT in lieu of an HRM

Nasal breathing is a good indicator, but it’s a skill that develops over time. When I first started, it corresponded very well with MAF. After a couple months I could breathe comfortably through my nose well over my MAF.
Yes I read some an special forces guy (think it was a StrongFirst article) saying he always breathes through the nose in training.

Do you have any experience / knowledge regarding if the talk test is the same way? It doesn't make sense to me that it would be, but I could be missing something.

Yes I read some an special forces guy (think it was a StrongFirst article) saying he always breathes through the nose in training.

Do you have any experience / knowledge regarding if the talk test is the same way? It doesn't make sense to me that it would be, but I could be missing something.
Bear in mind that some people also practice and are very adept at breathing practices. This will allow them to breath nasally at a very high exertion level. (i.e. at a high HR) So they could be training well above their AeT.

I don’t talk to myself while training. At least not out loud. Unless I’m angrily cursing a technical move I just screwed up.

I got into nasal breathing after listening to an interview with John Douillard, author of Body, Mind, Sport. I’d read the book a while back and didn’t really get it. It’s heavy on Ayurveda, which should have interested me more, but on the shelf it went. After listening to him speak, I went back and reread it and it made tons more sense. Just like with Maffetone. Once I tried both methods, then I really got it.

I'm thinking mainly how much MAF training do I need to do for health and longevity and to not totally embarass myself when I rarely do hit the road with my much more focused cycling friends and/or decide to ride 100+ km if I feel like it.
I have found with solely MAF training of around 3 x 1hr x per week this allows me to easily do a casual 100+km ride but if I want to do a spirited group ride I personally have to include at least 1 x / week interval session otherwise I will be spat out the back of the pack. MAF gives great steady state speed but I think is poor in allowing recovery from the surges in a pack.

I also talk to myself on rides, plus the cows, birds, trees etc, and on really long rides they talk back to me ?.

Hi all, I am also interested in this topic. I have been adding some aerobic jogging ("plodding" is more accurate in my case) to improve cardio health and recovery between kettlebell bouts. No endurance performance goals.

The MAF concept makes sense to me but Maffetone's prescription bothers me for a couple reasons. So what I do instead is breathe through my nose only, and count six steps to inhale and six steps to exhale. If I need to quicken my breathing to 5 steps, or open my mouth to suck air, I stop and walk for a bit. Of course this isn't "doing Maffetone" since I'm not watching my HR, but do you folks think it's a fairly safe way to make sure I don't exceed my MAF if I can keep my breathing that slow during a plod?

[I cycle commuted year-round in Vancouver BC too, eons ago. I traded the wet for the SF Bay Area, and I miss the rain.]

Hi all, I am also interested in this topic. I have been adding some aerobic jogging ("plodding" is more accurate in my case) to improve cardio health and recovery between kettlebell bouts. No endurance performance goals.

The MAF concept makes sense to me but Maffetone's prescription bothers me for a couple reasons. So what I do instead is breathe through my nose only, and count six steps to inhale and six steps to exhale. If I need to quicken my breathing to 5 steps, or open my mouth to suck air, I stop and walk for a bit. Of course this isn't "doing Maffetone" since I'm not watching my HR, but do you folks think it's a fairly safe way to make sure I don't exceed my MAF if I can keep my breathing that slow during a plod?

[I cycle commuted year-round in Vancouver BC too, eons ago. I traded the wet for the SF Bay Area, and I miss the rain.]
I would just rely on utilizing the talk test.
(btw... I also cycle commuted year-round in Van. Also eons ago... 70’s-80’s)

The Maffetone Method is not the only way to get aerobically fit. It’s not for everyone, or is it the best way at all times. The point is to build a solid aerobic engine with exclusively low intensity training FIRST. Then, add intensity as needed or desired. Or, in the classic periodization model, as long as possible before transitioning to higher intensity work.

But like any program, it works best if you actually follow the program. Which means a HRM to keep you honest. Not talking, nasal breathing, or reciting poetry. It means staying disciplined by obeying the speed limit.

Maffetone still has value for those who decide to use different systems since it gives clear guidance on what low intensity, or an “easy” day should feel like. This can help people avoid the big mistake of spending too much time unknowingly in the gray zone or no man’s land of intensity: Not intense enough to get more benefit than MAF, but too intense to allow for quick recovery.

Thanks -- I guess breathing 6 in, 6 out is my antisocial attempt at replicating the talk test without actually having to talk. It definitely keeps me going a lot slower than I would if I just went for a run without thinking about it.

I'm a big fan of Dr Stephen Seilers work, polarised training aka the 80/20 rule for running and triathlon training.

From what I can gather aerobic adaptations are signalled after 20mins of work.

Maximum session length before incurring any negatives? That will vary. On your goal, training history, injury history etc. So many factors.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom