all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maffetone running to compliment S+S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It’s safe to say LED training has many benefits. Some are going to benefit the casual runner, and some the more advanced athlete.
The more advanced and competitive runner can’t get by on a diet of LED alone however...

And using fat as a fuel is more than just a nice bonus... :cool:
Yeah, your long rides with little cal taken in proves that.

How does doing S&S before a MAF run effect the results of your MAF run?
I've never done a MAF run before, hence my op. When I run I just go at my pace which averages 24/25minutes for 5km off road and hilly terrain. I want to introduce MAF to allow me to continue with my running but not affect my bell work. I don't want one to detract from the other, I want them to compliment each other. I tend to run there same days as S+S as this best suits my schedule. On the other days I am doing yoga.

I've never done a MAF run before, hence my op. When I run I just go at my pace which averages 24/25minutes for 5km off road and hilly terrain. I want to introduce MAF to allow me to continue with my running but not affect my bell work. I don't want one to detract from the other, I want them to compliment each other. I tend to run there same days as S+S as this best suits my schedule. On the other days I am doing yoga.
My guess is that what you have in mind will work very well.

Car analogy for properly done S&S/MAF combo. A vehicle with more horsepower/torque, less weight, and greater fuel economy.

Last edited:
@Don Fairbanks. I hope so. I don't own a HR monitor so I've ordered a Garmin Instinct watch, it senses your HR at your wrist? I'm not sure how accurate this will be. I may need to purchase a chest strap, but I'll wait and see what it is like when it arrives.

@Don Fairbanks. I hope so. I don't own a HR monitor so I've ordered a Garmin Instinct watch, it senses your HR at your wrist? I'm not sure how accurate this will be. I may need to purchase a chest strap, but I'll wait and see what it is like when it arrives.
It might be reasonably close, far as I know the wrist reading uses light to monitor blood flow through the wrist, and this technology is not as accurate as a chest strap. You could also leave your gear at home and use the talk test and/or breathe through your nose.

Last edited:
Get the chest strap. The wristsensors aren’t there yet. It’s the only tool you need for MAF training, so do it right. The talk test and nasal breathing can work, but not always. I can talk and breathe through my nose well above MAF. In fact, if you here me gasping for breath, stay clear, I’m probably about to hurl!

As to the MAF run only acting as active recovery, that can be determined by doing MAF tests.

Depending upon your cardio fitness (or lack thereof) you might need to walk any steep hills to keep below your AeT. (at least to start)

Very nice. I feel like going and buying some on general principle.

And similar to bike, not much there.
Well full disclosure here... don’t get me wrong... I would wolf down a couple of huge bowls of pasta and a ton of other grub on a climb... it’s just that you have to carry all that stuff. In the mountains... light is right... I would rather carry an extra cam than extra food. So being somewhat fat adapted is a plus...
(I used to cut the borders off of maps to save weight)
Alas... this thread is digressing a bit...

As others have said, there are plenty of reasons to do one before or after the other. To space them out etc. The best option is to do them in the order and timing that works best for the rest of your life.

If you are running almost immediately after I would recommend taking 5 or 6 minutes after S+S before running. Let the heart rate finish coming down, do a light stretch, drink some water. Start the run slow. All of this will help bring any lactate down.

If aerobic endurance is the goal then the Maffetone method is perfect. However, to build this kind of endurance takes time and volume. 3x30min/week is not going to cut it. If you're trying to improve your aerobic performance off this volume, progress may be torturously slow, especially while you're doing glycolytic S&S sessions several times a week. In my experience you need much more time in the zone to optimize aerobic performance. Probably upward of 6 hours per week in your MAF zone.

Of course if health is the goal, then 30 to 60 minutes 3 to 5 times a week is perfect. But few endurance athletes would consider that volume as LSD.

I think this post Cardio debunked

by Mike Prevost is probably a good guide to healthy volumes of different training intensities.

Phil Maffetone would definitely regard an S&S session as anaerobic. If fact he recommends no strength training in your first run at building an aerobic base, thereafter he recommends something he calls slow weights. Basically GTG type training. I've never seen anything from him on A+A training.

You can check this.
Maybe for a not elite athlete the effect and/or the cardio is not intense (MAF or LSD) is not that much important.

The best option is to do them in the order and timing that works best for the rest of your life.

I think this is good advice. I've got to be realistic. I'm not an athlete. I'm an average guy. I work 6 or 7 days a week, in a physically demanding job, for long hours all year round outside in all weathers. I have a partner, young family and a dog. These commitments mean the time I create to practice with my bells isn't always the same, but I manage. I think if I adapt my current running volume with the dog to MAF style, I'll see benefits, rather than me gassing out at work/with the bells. Just not sure the dog will enjoy going so slow. ?

Last edited:
Well full disclosure here... don’t get me wrong... I would wolf down a couple of huge bowls of pasta and a ton of other grub on a climb... it’s just that you have to carry all that stuff. In the mountains... light is right... I would rather carry an extra cam than extra food. So being somewhat fat adapted is a plus...
(I used to cut the borders off of maps to save weight)
Alas... this thread is digressing a bit...
I have eaten what is in pic except diff. brand of quality jerky, caffeinated jelly beans instead of clif gummy bears, but have not tried the tailwind bars. I figured what your were doing, keeping it light, and I know you are fat adapted.

I think this is good advice. I've got to be realistic. I'm not an athlete. I'm an average guy. I work 6 or 7 days a week, in a physically demanding job, for long hours all year round outside in all weathers. I have a partner, young family and a dog. These commitments mean the time I create to practice with my bells isn't always the same, but I manage. I think if I adapt my current running volume with the dog to MAF style, I'll see benefits, rather than me gassing out at work/with the bells. Just not sure the dog will enjoy going so slow. ?
Throw a fast run in from time to time, good for both of you.

I have eaten what is in pic except diff. brand of quality jerky, caffeinated jelly beans instead of clif gummy bears, but have not tried the tailwind bars. I figured what your were doing, keeping it light, and I know you are fat adapted.
Actually the Tailwind is a electrolyte drink mix... so there is even less food than it seems in the pic... :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom