all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maffetone running to compliment S+S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The Tailwind packs are great for refilling a hydration pack on the go. Very easy clean up at adventure’s end.

the reason to do MAF basically is to teach your body to use fat as it's main fuel source.
That may be the Maffetone party line, but most folks seem to see aerobic improvements training low and slow; it isn’t relegated to being fat adapted. That is a claim that has at best conflicting evidence. As mentioned, this can be determined easily by the MAF test - when improvements stop, there are certain variables to look at changing. Maffetone says some of the first things to look at are duration, frequency, and, perhaps oddly, going slower (subtract another 5 BPM). If I recall it is only then that he switches into diet. Perhaps you know his work much better than I, or perhaps he’s changed his emphasis over time. I’ve been aware and following him only since about 2012, but haven’t kept up too much in the past year or two, although I still am a firm believer in training my run mostly aerobically.

I've never done a MAF run before, hence my op. When I run I just go at my pace which averages 24/25minutes for 5km off road and hilly terrain. I want to introduce MAF to allow me to continue with my running but not affect my bell work. I don't want one to detract from the other, I want them to compliment each other. I tend to run there same days as S+S as this best suits my schedule. On the other days I am doing yoga.
I’ve found good results doing an every other day thing - timeless or OTM swings and get ups one day, followed by a Maffetone HR run the next, with one day a week off. I did some swings then run, but I always felt too rushed. For run volume I had good results 3x30 min per week, adding time only when my MAF test stopped improving - focusing on the minimal effective dose. You’re a better runner than me, so your mileage may vary. But up until I hurt my knee I was using that very successfully and had continuous improvements.

There is more to becoming ‘fat adapted’ than just LED running to be sure.
Diet plays a big role.

Like many things, there are often a lot of variables in play...

There is more to becoming ‘fat adapted’ than just LED running to be sure.
Diet plays a big role.

Like many things, there are often a lot of variables in play...
Millions of people out there jogging, trying to loose body fat. Rarely does their nutritional regime support this goal, and they are rarely in a HR range that supports this goal. Maffetone has been advocating low carb since the 70's. As far as this thread goes, does StrongFirst type training
go well with sensible cardio training. Yes.

I disagree with Maffetone’s dietary views. I think the term “fat adapted” is usually misused, and that exercise is the most important factor.

I mostly see it as a development of the basic cardio abilities. Using fat as a fuel is a nice bonus.
Not always, mostly no, my training is antiglycolitic with a slight touch of ~150ish bpm and 1/5 - 1/6 w/r. Sometimes I make an exception.
Not quite, like said above - cardiorespiratory system training, type 1 fibers development, moving pattern practice, small specific muscle/tendon development due to the use of a barefoot shoes. And lately I doubt that in the real time of need the active recovery is a benefit vs passive.

So you don't feel you get any cardio benefit from your antiglycolitic bell training?

I've never done a MAF run before, hence my op. When I run I just go at my pace which averages 24/25minutes for 5km off road and hilly terrain. I want to introduce MAF to allow me to continue with my running but not affect my bell work. I don't want one to detract from the other, I want them to compliment each other. I tend to run there same days as S+S as this best suits my schedule. On the other days I am doing yoga.

In your original post you stated that you work a physically demanding job for long hours. S&S and yoga 4 times a week along with runs that if are after your S&S is also 4/week at looks like roughly an 8 min/mi pace. So, given all that what makes you think that changing your running style to MAF would be a benefit? Given what you are saying I would mess with the schedule, maybe just S&S four or 5 times a week, maybe back off on the yoga, maybe only two MAF runs per week on yoga days. I'm not seeing that just changing the runs to MAF runs may be the cure all. Maybe it will. Who knows.

@banzaiengr. Out of everything I do, I feel it is the running that takes the most out of me. I thought doing MAF would be good as it is done at a slower pace than what I normally go. I was hoping that this throttling back would add to a good base fitness level rather than take more out of me. Do you think my basic understanding of MAF would allow this? I just wanted my running to be more structured, at the minute I just go for as far as my time allowance allows and for as fast as I feel able on that particular day. Very hap hazzard method.

@banzaiengr. Out of everything I do, I feel it is the running that takes the most out of me. I thought doing MAF would be good as it is done at a slower pace than what I normally go. I was hoping that this throttling back would add to a good base fitness level rather than take more out of me. Do you think my basic understanding of MAF would allow this? I just wanted my running to be more structured, at the minute I just go for as far as my time allowance allows and for as fast as I feel able on that particular day. Very hap hazzard method.
To really reap the benefits of MAF or LED running be prepared to be in it for the long haul. You might see some immediate benefits from not being so beat up from harder, faster running, but the good stuff takes time...

To really reap the benefits of MAF or LED running be prepared to be in it for the long haul. You might see some immediate benefits from not being so beat up from harder, faster running, but the good stuff takes time...
Way back in the 70's I read an article jointly written by a Olympic coach and an exercise physiologist where my main takeaway was that even world-class track athletes needed to plan two years ahead in order to reach adequate-to-peak aerobic condition. It occurred to me at the time that I had better get busy. Still not there.

Way back in the 70's I read an article jointly written by a Olympic coach and an exercise physiologist where my main takeaway was that even world-class track athletes needed to plan two years ahead in order to reach adequate-to-peak aerobic condition. It occurred to me at the time that I had better get busy. Still not there.
I started running n’ such in the 70’s. It’s taken over half that time just to figure out what I am supposed to be doing, the rest has been spent trying to enact it, before my time runs out... It‘s a work in progress....

It is very hard to tell, you need to look at the whole picture. What other stressors do you have in your life? How are you doing nutrition wise and with your sleep?

Here's personally what I would do. I would go to three days per week doing swings in an A+A fashion. I would do two MAF runs per week, one being for an increasingly longer duration. The other a 30 min. run and on that day I would do yoga. As far as get ups, do four (two each side) as a warm up movement before your swings.

@banzaiengr. I want to achieve Simple timed with a 32kg so do you mean do 4 TGU's in addition to the Simple routine? My yoga needs to stay at 4 times a week. I could write pages on why I started yoga and how I could never give it up now. I'm still waiting on my HRM. I've been on the MAF site. For the MAF test, will it matter if I do it over 5 miles of hilly off-road terrain as that is where I run? As long as I repeat over the same course all should be good? I live rural and all my running is done from my house.

[For the MAF test, will it matter if I do it over 5 miles of hilly off-road terrain as that is where I run? As long as I repeat over the same course all should be good?

That is my understanding as well! You should be good.

It will only matter if you can’t run the hills at your MAF rate. Don’t be surprised if you can’t...

@banzaiengr. I want to achieve Simple timed with a 32kg so do you mean do 4 TGU's in addition to the Simple routine? My yoga needs to stay at 4 times a week. I could write pages on why I started yoga and how I could never give it up now. I'm still waiting on my HRM. I've been on the MAF site. For the MAF test, will it matter if I do it over 5 miles of hilly off-road terrain as that is where I run? As long as I repeat over the same course all should be good? I live rural and all my running is done from my house.
Some info. on the MAF test.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom