all posts post new thread

Old Forum Maintaining Get Up Strength ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

eccdogg

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all. I hit the simple goal (in fairness I hit it but probably did not own it) in February and then started doing the Right of Passage.

I have tried to occasionally do get ups on the variety days with the 32kg, but my legs seem tired and I feel like my strength in the Get Up is regressing.

Any tips on how to maintain strength in the Get Up while doing ROP. I'm ok with not being able to get 10 get ups in 10 minutes with the 32kg, but I would like to keep the ability to do 5 on each side with lots of rest inbetween.

Long term I would like to press the 32kg and then go back and take a run at S&S with the 40kg and don't want to be starting over.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hi Brad,

I've done the ROP program quite a few times, and in the past year+ I've been alternating ROP and S&S and really enjoying that.

Usually when I do ROP I add get ups on the variety days. Early on this would be with a 24kg, and the past few times it has been with the 32. When I use a bell, though, I make sure I really, really have the get ups down with it. With the 32, I could easily do the simple standards twice over, so 20 get ups in well under 20 minutes is not a problem at all.

My recommendation would be to do get ups with the 24 on the variety days. And don't get too caught up on numbers. Some weeks you might find you only do a few reps on each side. Other weeks you might do 8 or 10 on each side. Keep it light and easy.

Doing the get up movement regularly, along with lots of tension practice in your clean and presses and pull ups, will make it so that you transition back to heavier get ups quite quickly. Sure, you might not nail the get ups with the 32 on the first or second workout back on S&S, but after a week or two, there is a good chance you will find them even stronger than where you left them.

However, I don't think you will be able to go from ROP directly into S&S with the 40kg. That would be a big jump, and you'll want to spend some more time with the 32 again before you start working that 40 in. Nail things down with that 32 before doing the 40. And I say that as someone who has been working the 40 in for about a month and am now taking a couple weeks to get back to only the 32.

The super short version: focus on the goal. In ROP, that's pressing. Play around with get ups a little, but you'll get back to them when they are the goal in S&S.

Thanks Brian, that is all very helpful.

How often do you cycle between S&S and ROP? Also do you do any pressing while on S&S phase to maintain press strength?

Well, S&S hasn't been out too long. Here's what I've done since then.

Jan to Feb, S&S with 32kg

April to May, ROP with 28kg

June to September, mix of S&S and nothing, as I had three non-training related injuries in that period.

Oct to Dec, S&S with 32

Jan to May, ROP with 28kg and lots of get ups and zercher squats on variety days as I was trying to put on some mass.

This summer, S&S with a mix of 32 and 40. I might stay on this until I'm doing all sets with the 40 comfortably. Maybe until I can hit the time standards, we'll see. After that, I'll probably go back to the ROP. It's always been one of my favorite programs, and now that I own a 40kg bell, I have my half-bodyweight press goal right in front of me and that is definitely something I want to achieve.

When I am on S&S I definitely lose pressing strength. For the most part I can get a decently heavy press in (like singles with the 32kg, when I've been pressing a lot I can get 4 reps), but I don't have the kind of press endurance needed to do ROP with a good size bell. So I'll do a break-in period where I do ROP workouts with a light bell (for me usually the 24) until 3 to 5 sets of 1,2,3 reps feels comfortable. That tends to give me enough pressing practice to jump to what is usually the right bell for me.

When I'm on ROP I do not tend to lose much get up strength, but that is one of my stronger lifts, and I've been doing them quite consistently for almost 7 years.

Hope that helps some. Let me know if you have any other questions.

One of my trainees has advanced to the Rite of Passage, and is doing very well with it. She has an impressive TGU (closing in on the 24k for reps now), and I've been having her sandwich one week of those (in lieu of pressing) between two week blocks of RoP--so far, so good.

It takes me a few weeks (about 2 weeks, 6sessions) to get close to my old strength-levels. Cleans and Swings (explosive hip hinge) are "close enough" to deadlifts, presses "close enough" to TGUs (static press) and vice versa.
You can always throw them in at the warm up to not lose them if you "have to". 5-10gosq + 5halo + 10-20sw + 1 tgu x 2-3 laps (I increase weight every round).

On RoP do the third time now, after that back to either Deadlift Dynamite-program or SS.

Edit: On heavy days I do not go heavy (for me) on the warm-up, I just try to go through the movement. So if you did 32 on SS 5days a week, 100swings, 10TGU you could go all the way to a 32. If you struggled with 32 on SS, go to a 24 or 28in warmup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom