all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Maintaining muscle mass?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
I'm wrapping up a hypertrophy block relatively soon, which has seen me make solid gains on neglected muscle groups, especially biceps, triceps, calves, chest and quads.

Traditionally I've run programs like S&S, ROP, Giant.

I decided to do this because I wanted to gain weight for aesthetics but also to help me achieve my goals (listed below).

Using an upper lower split, I've gained 3.5kg since late feb but stayed lean. Mostly by adding exercises like bicep curls, difficult pushup variations done strict and slow, rows, split squats, deadlifts, calf raises etc. I've honestly been shocked at the progress and that's with some bad interruptions (covid, moving house etc).

Longer term I'm thinking of moving to other strongfirst strength/power programs, and adding easy LISS back in as I've neglected that over these months.

I'm making the changes because they fall line with my longterm goals:

2 x BW DL
40kg press (1/2 BW)
S&S Solid
LISS - for health

I'm thinking of running something like a cycle of each of the following:

1. PTTP
2. S&S + deadlifts
3. Q&D + deadlifts

Is there any chance the above three routines could maintain the muscle I've built? (For the record, it's obviously not a huge amount of muscle in the scheme of things - certainly nothing like a bodybuilder). I'm thinking maybe by continuing to drive maximal strength in my deadlift, while keeping my bodyweight the same, that might be enough to maintain?

Im intending to keep my bodyweight exactly where it is as it's perfect for my frame (6'2 @ 181lb, or 188cm at 81.5kg).

Sans weightloss, would the above routines be suitable for preserving mass? Or should I add an assistance day or something?

I'm wrapping up a hypertrophy block relatively soon, which has seen me make solid gains on neglected muscle groups, especially biceps, triceps, calves, chest and quads.

Traditionally I've run programs like S&S, ROP, Giant.

I decided to do this because I wanted to gain weight for aesthetics but also to help me achieve my goals (listed below).

Using an upper lower split, I've gained 3.5kg since late feb but stayed lean. Mostly by adding exercises like bicep curls, difficult pushup variations done strict and slow, rows, split squats, deadlifts, calf raises etc. I've honestly been shocked at the progress and that's with some bad interruptions (covid, moving house etc).

Longer term I'm thinking of moving to other strongfirst strength/power programs, and adding easy LISS back in as I've neglected that over these months.

I'm making the changes because they fall line with my longterm goals:

2 x BW DL
40kg press (1/2 BW)
S&S Solid
LISS - for health

I'm thinking of running something like a cycle of each of the following:

1. PTTP
2. S&S + deadlifts
3. Q&D + deadlifts

Is there any chance the above three routines could maintain the muscle I've built? (For the record, it's obviously not a huge amount of muscle in the scheme of things - certainly nothing like a bodybuilder). I'm thinking maybe by continuing to drive maximal strength in my deadlift, while keeping my bodyweight the same, that might be enough to maintain?

Im intending to keep my bodyweight exactly where it is as it's perfect for my frame (6'2 @ 181lb, or 188cm at 81.5kg).

Sans weightloss, would the above routines be suitable for preserving mass? Or should I add an assistance day or something?
I would do a set or two after each training day of high rep push-ups, pull-ups and squats. Like 50+. The three programs you listed are great for strength and GPP but don't push a ton of blood into the muscles like your last program did. There's more to growing muscle than pushing in blood and getting a pump obviously but it will help to keep your hard earned size. I'm not sure what your diet looks like but keeping carbs and protein up there will help as well.

If eating enough, you'll probably want to work in some arm isolation work once a week for maintenance.

That's been my experience when I switch from a hypertrophy block to a strength or performance block.

Legs are never an issue to maintain for me, but I do a lot more squatting than you're planning, so you might need some quad work once a week, too.

I would do a set or two after each training day of high rep push-ups, pull-ups and squats. Like 50+. The three programs you listed are great for strength and GPP but don't push a ton of blood into the muscles like your last program did. There's more to growing muscle than pushing in blood and getting a pump obviously but it will help to keep your hard earned size. I'm not sure what your diet looks like but keeping carbs and protein up there will help as well.
depending on how heavy your strength training goes you may not need to do anything extra but I second the high volume approach out of an abundance of caution. However I don’t believe it has to be that high or that frequent if the goal is preserving muscle mass and your other workouts are keeping you active.

A full body push/pull/legs workout (3 exercises) with single sets of, say, 10+ reps, taken to failure or close to failure, performed at least weekly, has preserved muscle on my frame over long periods of relative inactivity (ie I wasn’t doing anything else). At one point I was in and out of the gym in under 6 minutes weekly for about six months and I don’t think I lost any muscle at all.

Thank you I think that's a good suggestion. Easy to tack on as well

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom