all posts post new thread

Barbell Making a big commitment

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
I have just signed up to compete in a novice strongman competition on the 24th of February 2019. This will be 10 days after my 30th birthday.
I'm going to compete in the under 80kg weight class - which means in my training I cannot put on any more weight (I am currently a slightly flabby 80kg - but the diet has been kicked into line now).

Events are:
  1. Powerlifting style max deadlifts - no straps no suits. Belts allowed
  2. Log floor to overhead press - maximum reps in 60seconds with 70kg log
  3. Seated rope pull to prowler push 15 metres both ways 120kg
  4. Event 4 unknown, but from what I have seen from strongman it's very likely to be a carry of some form. Most likely farmers
  5. Atlas stone to shoulder medley: 50kg, 60kg, 70kg, 80kg, 90kg
So I need to get stronger. I have found a gym with good strongman equipment I can get to once a week for event practice. I have a barbell and kettlebells at home (no rack or bench though)

My basic training template for now will be the following: (I'll get a peaking cycle started 12 weeks out from competition - but this is my base building phase.)

Day 1 - Squat focus (home workout)
Power clean to Front squat - building to a heavy set of 3 or 5
Zercher squat 3 sets of 5-8
KB swings 4-10 sets of 10
Barbell curls
Ab wheel

Day 2 - Press focus (home workout)
KB C&P - 1,2,3 ladders for 15 minutes
Deadlift - working up to a reasonable triple
Barbell row 3 sets of 5-8
Close grip pushups 4-8 sets of 10
Ab wheel

Day 3 - Events day (gym day)
Log press - work up to a reasonable set of 5
Loading event practice
Farmers carry
Prowler push/pull

For recovery work I will be doing a yoga session at least once a week and jumping rope for some aerobic work 2-3 times a week. I walk about 5 miles a day.

Any advice from strongman/strongwoman competitors is much appreciated - beyond watching Worlds Strongest Man and videos elsewhere on Strongman I am very new to this. My background is mainly KBs and martial arts until the last year when I purchased and fell in love with the barbell. I'm in reasonable shape, but not as strong as I'd like to be. My 1RM deadlift needs a retest, but was last 145kg before doing the following plan for the last 6 weeks No Distractions: The Occam's Razor Training Plan | StrongFirst.

So, you have 9 months to train.

Not a Strongman expert... just thinking this through. Maybe more of a prioritization plan would serve you better. First get as strong as possible, then practice your skills.

3 months of pure strength training such as Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression (just did that myself). Squat, press, bench press, deadlift, and power clean. Run the numbers as high as they will go with simple programming of 3x5. Keep walking for active recovery. No rack... hmm... heavy KB front squats I guess, instead of barbell squats. Combine your power clean and overhead press. But getting access to a rack would be far better.

Then 3 months or so of Intermediate strength programming, maybe a HLM template... similarly simple, just waving the volume a bit. Getting stronger. Adding in some conditioning with kettlebells, sprints, or prowler. Work on atlas stone skills.

Then 3 months of Strongman specific programming. Carries, log presses, atlas stone, and deadlifts. Peaking just before the event.

Are you limited to 2 days a week at home?

I completely agree with @Anna C get as statically strong as possible on a proven program, and then specialize. Do Strongman Saturday though. The experience and knowledge with the events you will gain is invaluable. If you can get in with a crew all the better.

Buy a set of squat stands if you want to get serious. They are cheap. Also, buy a Heavy Sandbag or Keg and start playing with it to start to bridge the gap between strength and conditioning and Strongman.

Kettlebell Press for Strongman? I don’t know. All overhead pressing is good, but Press and Push Press will transfer better. If you can get proficient in the Jerk even better. Bottoms Up Kettlebell Press will help stability, grip, and wrist for Log.

Check out Starting Strongman tor resources and info. There is was a program available also.

If you are committed to your template I would do more like:

Day 1
Clean and Press/Push Press/Jerk
Clean and Front Squat
Rows
Curls

Day 2
Deadlift
Zercher
KB Swings
Ab Wheel

Day 3 event day
Stone loading
Log
Farmers or a carry
Sled Push/Pull or a Medley

You could do Pushup, Chinup/pullup, KB Press/BUP a part of your warmup or between sets.

Last edited:
It's awesome that you signed up for this. I plan to try strongman in some time in future so I will definitely follow your training!

So, you have 9 months to train.

Not a Strongman expert... just thinking this through. Maybe more of a prioritization plan would serve you better. First get as strong as possible, then practice your skills.

3 months of pure strength training such as Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression (just did that myself). Squat, press, bench press, deadlift, and power clean. Run the numbers as high as they will go with simple programming of 3x5. Keep walking for active recovery. No rack... hmm... heavy KB front squats I guess, instead of barbell squats. Combine your power clean and overhead press. But getting access to a rack would be far better.

Then 3 months or so of Intermediate strength programming, maybe a HLM template... similarly simple, just waving the volume a bit. Getting stronger. Adding in some conditioning with kettlebells, sprints, or prowler. Work on atlas stone skills.

Then 3 months of Strongman specific programming. Carries, log presses, atlas stone, and deadlifts. Peaking just before the event.

Thanks Anna. I will start looking for squat stands. I've spent very little time with the back squat so will certainly be getting my static strength as high as possible as advised.

Are you limited to 2 days a week at home?

I completely agree with @Anna C get as statically strong as possible on a proven program, and then specialize. Do Strongman Saturday though. The experience and knowledge with the events you will gain is invaluable. If you can get in with a crew all the better.

Buy a set of squat stands if you want to get serious. They are cheap. Also, buy a Heavy Sandbag or Keg and start playing with it to start to bridge the gap between strength and conditioning and Strongman.

Kettlebell Press for Strongman? I don’t know. All overhead pressing is good, but Press and Push Press will transfer better. If you can get proficient in the Jerk even better. Bottoms Up Kettlebell Press will help stability, grip, and wrist for Log.

Check out Starting Strongman tor resources and info. There is was a program available also.

If you are committed to your template I would do more like:

Day 1
Clean and Press/Push Press/Jerk
Clean and Front Squat
Rows
Curls

Day 2
Deadlift
Zercher
KB Swings
Ab Wheel

Day 3 event day
Stone loading
Log
Farmers or a carry
Sled Push/Pull or a Medley

You could do Pushup, Chinup/pullup, KB Press/BUP a part of your warmup or between sets.

Thanks Geoff. I'm not attached to either my template or only 2 days at home a week. As above I'll start looking for a set of squat stands. (We are pretty low on money at the moment so it might be a month or so before I can get some, unless craigslist supplies some for free.)

I can jerk and push press a pair of KBs quite happily, so I'll talk to a friend who does Olympic lifting and get her to coach me a bit on the barbell versions.

Cheers for your input!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom