all posts post new thread

Man Cave Training Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J.C.S.

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all,

I am currently 31 yrs old and working to get back into shape. 6'1" and 240lbs. Played soccer and rugby in college, shuffled through a few marathons, and up until a year ago was training consistently (kettlebells, barbell, running/cycling). I teach college A&P online and work on my feet in a distribution center (D.C.) 10-12hrs a day. I began at the D.C. 16 months ago and thought that walking 5-7 miles a day and lifting throughout would be enough and nearly all exercise stopped, but the weight climbed and pants got tighter. About 2 months ago I began lifting kettlebells again on a consistent schedule and have felt great.

Just want to keep a personal log here to stay motivated and not just be a lurker on the forums. I have never done a StrongFirst course (but would like to), and nearly all of my KB lifting is G.S. style (hope you guys wont give me the boot for that). In the past I was certified in IKFF Level One, USAKL, and CrossFit Level 1, but believe all have lapsed.

My programming is whatever I am feeling when I get home from work and completed my grading for the day. That will probably drive you guys and gals nuts, but I am enjoying myself and look forward to the practice and movements. Here is today's session.

12/22/2016

Warm-Up (this is always the same unless I feel I need more, just gets me moving and focused)
12kg Around the world- 12x/direction
12kg Halos- 5x/direction
12kg Prying goblet squat- 5x
12kg Chest supported hip hinge- 5x
16kg Girevoy swing 10x/arm
16kg clean 10x/arm
16kg jerk 10x/arm

32kg 2-Handed Hardstyle swing 5x10

24kg Snatch 5x5/arm

20kg OALC 20x/arm

30-45 sec. rest between working sets. Done, time to watch the game from last night. GO BLUES!

Thanks StrongFirst community,
Jeff

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Jeff. I prefer HS to GS, but you are absolutely welcome here.

We have a couple GS guys here. I'd recommend you check out @Physical Culture's posts. I think you'll enjoy them.

12/23/16

Warm-up

20kg Swing + Snatch (1 rep), 3x10/arm

32kg Complex, all reps/arm then switch
Clean 3x, Jerk 2x, Racked Squat 1x
5 sets

20kg Complex
Clean 6x, Jerk 4x, Racked Squat 2x
5 sets

Heavy bag, 30" on/30" off
5x

1-ish min rest/working set. Wife got me the 32kg for early Xmas present and it's kicking my butt. 20kg felt like air afterwards;)

12/26/16

Warm-up

20kg Snatch 50x, switch hands every 5 reps

Uneven doubles complex (16kg and 20kg)
Clean 4x
Press 3x
Front squat 2x
10 sets, flipped around each set to keep it even

32kg Hardstyle Swing 5x10

This weekend switched from nights to weekend days and the new sleep schedule is...an adjustment. Thankful for the chance to spend more time with the wife and the four days off though. Should give me a chance to pick up another class to teach!

Felt under the weather all day and sleep patterns royally screwed up at the moment. Able to get a late (early?) 2nd session in, just to play around with some movements I haven't done in a while.

12/26/2016
Warm-up

24kg G.S. Swing 5x10/arm

16kg OH Box Squat 5x3/arm

20kg/24kg Double Rack Hold 2x1min

24kg Split Jerk 5x3/arm

32kg Split Jerk 5x1/arm

Mobility is def something to work on based on the OH squat. Lt multifidi and erectors in low back were talking to me. Played around a little with the bent press, first time doing so. Keep wanting to windmill it, weird pushing the body away from weight. Will have to submit video for critique.

12/27/16

Warm-up

16kg Swing + Snatch (1 rep) 3x10/arm

32kg G.S. Swing 3x10

24kg Jerk 1x10/arm

16kg/20kg Doubles Complex
Press 3x
Squat 3x
4 sets

12/29/16

Warm up

32kg H.S. Swing 3x10

32kg Complex
Clean 3x/arm
Jerk 2x/arm
5 sets

24kg Snatch 5x5/arm

Quick workout with the wife ("I go, you go"). Always playing with the G.S. snatch technique, today focused on keeping a packed shoulder and 'resting' in the top position.

Last edited:
12/30/16

Warm up

32kg H2H Swing 3x10

24kg Complex
G.S. Swing 3x/arm
Snatch 3x/arm
Split Jerk 3x/arm
5 sets

20kg Complex
G.S. Swing 3x/arm
Snatch 3x/arm
Split Jerk 3x/arm
5 sets

Perform all reps per arm then switch hands. Dragging a bit today so dropped to 20kg for last 5 sets.

20kg and 24kg Rack Hold 2 x 1 min.

1/1/17

Warm up

32kg G.S. Swing 5x5/arm

16kg Snatch 3x20/arm

24kg Complex
Strict Press 2x
Racked box squat 2x
5 sets. All reps/arm then switch

30 sec. rest per set. After the revelry of ringing in the New Year I am happy to get this in.

1/3/17

Warm up

20kg Snatch 5x10/arm

32kg OALC 5x2/arm

Heavy Bag 5x30"/30"

Complex
24kg Strict Press 2x/arm
32kg H.S. Swing 10x
3 sets

Lt. shoulder girdle, scalenes, and cervical erectors very tight. Spent time with myofascial work before warm up. No papers to grade and start of four day weekend!

1/4/17

Went with the wife to her gym today (going for tacos after), and while she played racquetball I thought it would be fun to do a bodybuilding workout I used to enjoy. All done with dumbbells, supersets, and minimal rest times. Played racquetball after and got smoked. Exercises grouped as supersets, and performed drop sets of 10/8/6 reps for each with increasing weight.

Incline Press
Assisted Pull-ups

Incline fly
Bent Row

Arnold Press

Goblet Squat
RDL

Alt. Bicep Curl
Tricep Pushdown

Tacos were outstanding. Al pastor, corn tortillas, cilantro, onion, and lime. Perfect.

1/6/17

Spin Bike 30 min.

Warm-up

20kg Swing + Snatch (1 rep) 6x5/arm

24kg OALC 5x5/arm

Shadow Boxing 10 x 30" on/30" off

1/8/17

Warm up

16kg 20x/arm

32kg H.S. Swing 5x10

24kg Complex
Press 2x/arm
Squat 2x/arm
5 sets

Last edited:
1/10/17

AM Workout
30 min bike

Warm up

16kg Swing, clean, jerk, snatch 10x/arm
Perform all reps with out setting bell down

20kg/24kg Double Complex
Cleans 3x
Press 2x
Racked Squat 1x
6 sets

PM Workout
20 min bike

20kg/24kg Double Complex
Clean 3x
Press 2x
Racked Squat 1x
6 sets

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom