all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Marathon training program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LarryB

Level 7 Valued Member
I’m running the Chicago marathon in October. I have successfully run 3 marathons previously, with my fastest being a 3:48. That was prior to my strongfirst experiences so i wanted to hear about recommendations on programming feom this community. Any and all comments are welcome!

It will be interesting to see how you do compared to other years now that you are more antifragile.
Same; i was training with kettlebells during all of the races previously, but never with the strongfirst mentality. I feel much more solid all around and have been doing all of my runs (10-20 miles a week) at a very low effort (lsd). So overall interested to see how it goes. I’m just not sure how to approach a full marathon training schedule yet. Especially since my training partner/wife does not subscribe to this mentality.

Larry B, I am very interested in the responses your post will get to your question. I am also from the Chicago area and training for the Fox Valley Half Marathon in September.

This will be my first Half. I am also training using the LSD method due to some problems I have had with my knees in the past. Can you describe what your training schedule looks like?

Ya, I’m not doing any running specific training right now. Right now i do q&d 3 days a week. Twice a week i run about 5 miles to school attend the class for an hour or two (pe major) then either get a divvy (bike share), or more often than not i will run back home as well. Started doing tgu’s as loaded mobility on non q&d days as well during my-other virtual class. That’s pretty much it right now. I’ve been more running centered in the past though, running 5 days a week 30-50 miles a week.

Even though a marathon is a pretty short distance, you obviously need to do some running. Sounds like you are on board with lots of LED running which is good. You know what it takes to run a marathon, so you have some advantage there as well. I would keep up with the Q&D, work up to doing the classic once per week ‘long’ run, and run 3 other days. If you live in that area maybe get out to Barrington or up to Lake Geneva and run some hills...

Do you have a target time in mind?

Even though a marathon is a pretty short distance...

You really know how to stab me in the heart, huh? Short distance?! The longest I have ever run in my life is a 10k and I wanted to kill myself after that, haha. I know I don't train for it so it's obviously different, but man, I feel like I have never trained for anything if running 26.2 miles is now considered short.

Do you have a target time in mind?
I agree with what you say here. I would say my goal is 3:45, but more importantly i want to finish strong. Made it all the way to mile 24 before i hit the wall last time, recovered and finished solid but there’s room for improvement. I like to run waterfall glen and palos trails but have heard good things about barrington.

Larry B, I am very interested in the responses your post will get to your question. I am also from the Chicago area and training for the Fox Valley Half Marathon in September.

This will be my first Half. I am also training using the LSD method due to some problems I have had with my knees in the past. Can you describe what your training schedule looks like?
I’ll plug my training log here as well. Larry’s logs

You really know how to stab me in the heart, huh? Short distance?! The longest I have ever run in my life is a 10k and I wanted to kill myself after that, haha. I know I don't train for it so it's obviously different, but man, I feel like I have never trained for anything if running 26.2 miles is now considered short.
Yeah sorry dude... I guess it’s all perspective eh? I tend to look at things through serious endurance lenses most of the time, so that usually colors my thought processes and comments.
And I certainly don’t mean to diminish anyones 10k’s or marathons.

Yeah sorry dude... I guess it’s all perspective eh? I tend to look at things through serious endurance lenses most of the time, so that usually colors my thought processes and comments.
And I certainly don’t mean to diminish anyones 10k’s or marathons.
Oh, I don't take offense to it at all, no need to be sorry, I know what can be short for one person is impossible for others. I grew up playing sports of all kinds, and while I was good at most of them, my downfall was always my endurance. No matter how much I trained, I just never developed good endurance. I was always better at the power sports like Gymnastics, that's just how I'm made.

Oh, I don't take offense to it at all, no need to be sorry, I know what can be short for one person is impossible for others. I grew up playing sports of all kinds, and while I was good at most of them, my downfall was always my endurance. No matter how much I trained, I just never developed good endurance. I was always better at the power sports like Gymnastics, that's just how I'm made.
Just say, you're built for speed, not for comfort.

Even though a marathon is a pretty short distance
I want to smoke what you've been smoking. :)

When I ran distance, total weekly mileage was key, as was the distance of the weekly or bi-weekly long run. I am delighted to read the stories of people who've done a marathon on very little running but it's not something I would choose to do as a training strategy myself. FWIW, I've run a half-marathon 3 times in my life, all nearly 40 years ago. Training for my first marathon is what turned me off from running - I was just too bored logging that kind of mileage, especially being outside for the required lengths of time in all kinds of weather - and I therefore never completed that "pretty short distance" myself.

-S-

I want to smoke what you've been smoking. :)

When I ran distance, total weekly mileage was key, as was the distance of the weekly or bi-weekly long run. I am delighted to read the stories of people who've done a marathon on very little running but it's not something I would choose to do as a training strategy myself. FWIW, I've run a half-marathon 3 times in my life, all nearly 40 years ago. Training for my first marathon is what turned me off from running - I was just too bored logging that kind of mileage, especially being outside for the required lengths of time in all kinds of weather - and I therefore never completed that "pretty short distance" myself.

-S-
Come on out to AZ Steve... I’ll hook you up :cool:

As an aside... I was reading about a race the other day called the ‘Bataan Death March’ ... 160km (winning times are in the 23hr range)

Come on out to AZ Steve... I’ll hook you up :cool:

As an aside... I was reading about a race the other day called the ‘Bataan Death March’ ... 160km (winning times are in the 23hr range)
Paris-Brest-Paris on a bicycle strikes me as much the same. I did one ride with a local randonneur group, called a Populaire. If memory serves, it was 75 miles with 7000 feet of climbing. It was the last ride I took on my racing bike with a 53/42 double before swapping out the 42 for a 39 - some of the climbing found me serpentining (going back and forth across the road in an effort to flatten out the terrain) just to avoid falling off my bicycle or having to walk. (Lots of bikie jargon there, I know; once a bikie ...)

-S-

Lol, i love logging the miles and all of the crappy weather the midwest brings. I think Goggins says it best in regards to weather, if it’s below zero and snowing that should be your cue to get out there and run. I will definitely be doing an ultra at some point in time!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom