all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Marathon training program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Tucson to Cave Creek, 145 miles.
Watched the Running on the Sun documentary several years ago. I think about it when I go for a little 3-4 miler mid day in the summer.
Tucson to Flag is about 260miles. That would be a tough run even broken down into 3 days...

Lol, i love logging the miles and all of the crappy weather the midwest brings. I think Goggins says it best in regards to weather, if it’s below zero and snowing that should be your cue to get out there and run. I will definitely be doing an ultra at some point in time!
Yeah... I ran a lot of winters in Illinois and Michigan. (Ontario too...)

Alright...now we’re getting sadistic. Lol.
My apologies, I easily get off topic.
I ran a 13.1 in 1999, age 35-36, BW around 225, time was 1:42, plenty left in tank. Barbell and machine training 4 days a week, running the other 3. Running days would be something like 4 miles,8 miles, 15 miles. The 15 was a bit under two hours. Was training for the San Diego marathon. Started to get some hip pain, 24/7, hard to get any sleep, full personal training client schedule , I needed to be able to move around, lasted for weeks so I cut my miles way back. I believe KB and BB training are a great asset for distance runners, I just don't have any real world experience at that distance and spanning several races.
Thinking I would probably run S&S and Q&D type sessions 3 days a week, run 3, and 1 day of easy swimming.

My apologies, I easily get off topic.
I ran a 13.1 in 1999, age 35-36, BW around 225, time was 1:42, plenty left in tank. Barbell and machine training 4 days a week, running the other 3. Running days would be something like 4 miles,8 miles, 15 miles. The 15 was a bit under two hours. Was training for the San Diego marathon. Started to get some hip pain, 24/7, hard to get any sleep, full personal training client schedule , I needed to be able to move around, lasted for weeks so I cut my miles way back. I believe KB and BB training are a great asset for distance runners, I just don't have any real world experience at that distance and spanning several races.
Thinking I would probably run S&S and Q&D type sessions 3 days a week, run 3, and 1 day of easy swimming.
Lol, I didn’t mean off topic, just brutal. I was down with the 260 until you aded a plate vest! I love where this thread is going. It’s getting me thinking and pumped for training! About 35 days till i start a running centered program. Plan to hit timed simple after a month training block of s&s (i have a solid s&s foundation, just program hopped until i got my 32), and then back to q&d, tapering off volume as my running volume increases.

Lol, I didn’t mean off topic, just brutal. I was down with the 260 until you aded a plate vest! I love where this thread is going. It’s getting me thinking and pumped for training! About 35 days till i start a running centered program. Plan to hit timed simple after a month training block of s&s (i have a solid s&s foundation, just program hopped until i got my 32), and then back to q&d, tapering off volume as my running volume increases.
Simple and a sub. 4 marathon.
Excellent.

Just wanted to flex a little and say that i tested my timeless simple sunday night and completed it in about 21 minutes. Should be able to cut the time off my swings in the mext 30 days.

My advice would be follow a running plan. Pfitzinger or Daniels are both very good. Hal Higdon's plans are really good for beginners and intermediates (to structured training).

All of these programs set aside time for strength training. Either S&S or Q&D could be run on the strength training days.

I personally hit my best 5k time using a Pfitzinger plan and S&S-lite on cross training days.

Lastly, it's all about easy mileage.... and total mileage. No amount of swings will get you a good time alone, pure mileage is still the best indicator of performance :(

My advice would be follow a running plan. Pfitzinger or Daniels are both very good. Hal Higdon's plans are really good for beginners and intermediates (to structured training).

All of these programs set aside time for strength training. Either S&S or Q&D could be run on the strength training days.

I personally hit my best 5k time using a Pfitzinger plan and S&S-lite on cross training days.

Lastly, it's all about easy mileage.... and total mileage. No amount of swings will get you a good time alone, pure mileage is still the best indicator of performance :(
Without a doubt. Ya just gotta log the miles...

Without a doubt. Ya just gotta log the miles...

I agree, i have the higdon app and have losely followed it before. Was planning to use it again but will look at Pfitzinger too. I olan to follow a more advanced plan that encorporates more tempo and speed work. I used to run my base miles at too high of an intensity and hope that led base miles will enable more high intensity days. I felt in the past that i would atart to fall apart on weeks that i approached or exceeded 50 miles.

I just looked at the Pfitzinger plan and got scared? . 70 miles is more than i have logged in the past, i have a pretty busy schedule and am a father of 3, so i think I’m going to stick with the advanced Higdon plan for now. I’m already wondering how the wife and i are going to simultaneously train for this race. She’s been racing all year already but I’ve just been training at home with the bells. Previously when we did it i was not working nearly at all and staying home with the kids. Regardless it will be interesting.

I just looked at the Pfitzinger plan and got scared? . 70 miles is more than i have logged in the past, i have a pretty busy schedule and am a father of 3, so i think I’m going to stick with the advanced Higdon plan for now. I’m already wondering how the wife and i are going to simultaneously train for this race. She’s been racing all year already but I’ve just been training at home with the bells. Previously when we did it i was not working nearly at all and staying home with the kids. Regardless it will be interesting.
There are actually many many Pfitzinger plans. The way he 'names' his plans indicates the number of weeks followed by the peak mileage, e.g.

15/70 means a 15 week program that peaks at 70 miles (usually meaning only 1 week at 70). But there are many many plans, 30, 40, 45, 50 etc.

But yes, Higdon will serve you well!

As an aside, every running PR I've ever set for distances of 5k+ was done on one tempo run per week + one long run per week + the rest easy mileage with strides thrown in ~2 x at the end of the runs. Hope that helps!

There are actually many many Pfitzinger plans. The way he 'names' his plans indicates the number of weeks followed by the peak mileage, e.g.

15/70 means a 15 week program that peaks at 70 miles (usually meaning only 1 week at 70). But there are many many plans, 30, 40, 45, 50 etc.

But yes, Higdon will serve you well!

As an aside, every running PR I've ever set for distances of 5k+ was done on one tempo run per week + one long run per week + the rest easy mileage with strides thrown in ~2 x at the end of the runs. Hope that helps!
Absolutely, i have some of this experience already and have logged a lot of the base miles. Just want to take a more systematic approach to this go. I think I actually trained with my cousin a bit when she was following a pfitzinger plan. So i have at least experienced it a little bit.

Tooting my own horn, since this is where i said i would hit simple pre marathon season. Got it done this past Friday and I’m happy to say that it was quite easy. Also completed it with a 75# (34k) bell. Does this qualify as timed solid ??
Going to program hop and try to find some things i want to keep up during marathon season, aling with s&s wth effects. Strength aerobics and a+a snatches are top contenders right now. Tgu practice will continue throughout as loaded mobility.
I think I’m going to follow the nike marathon training program provided by the Chicago Marathon. It has an app to go with speed and tempo work that will really relieve some stress from my busy schedule. Has some interesting philosophies behind it but haven’t read through everything yet. Nike marathon program.
Looking at incorporating “the kettlebell mile” into my training as well. Think I’ll take a stab tonight and maybe track progress?

Checking in/updating the thread.
Officially started marathon training this week! I’ve been testing myself on carious programs the past week to check in after hitting simple. I have to say that I am feeling strong! Also decided to not go with the nike plan and stick with the Higdon plan.
My hr with running has been the best thing to see though. I was having trouble keeping my hr down all spring but i think i finally got my aerobic zone firing! Which is awesome because I’m learning all about these systems in my exercise physiology class right now. Even picked up the pace a bit the other day and did some easy (marathon pace) hill repeats (chicago hills...). Was able to keep my avg hr at or below mac though so-it is super encouraging.
Any thoughts on incorporating the kettlebell mile once every week or two?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom