all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Marathon Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

michael.aubuchon

Level 2 Valued Member
Good Evening,

My name is Michael and I'm currently serving in the United States Marine Corps. The Marine Corps Embassy Security Group (MCESG) is sponsoring a marathon on October 24th, and I feel deeply compelled to attend and participate. I have completed more 5K's than I would care to count, and a couple of 10K's here and there with only a bit of trouble. However, a full marathon is foreign to me and certainly not an easy feat. Therefore, I've come before a community that would hopefully have some ideas for training and preparation. I have access to a full gym to include free weights, barbells, machines, and kettlebells (among other miscellaneous pieces of equipment) and can adapt my diet to include more natural and healthier foods/supplements compared to the chow hall, if necessary. If all else fails, the marathon is divided into four laps of the same course, and I would be able to end the race prematurely (1/4, 1/2, or 3/4).
My training history is mostly revolved around powerlifting, with a heavier focus on deadlifts and squats (I'm 6'3" and having long arms isn't an asset for bench). Most recently, I have been subjected to various PT's (log runs, calisthenics, rucks, etc.), all of from which I recover very easily. My nutrition is very inclusive and emphasizes natural foods: lean and fatty meats, fruits, vegetables, and an avoidance of processed foods and sugars (excluding an occasional dessert when on a night out with friends). I don't consume alcohol, nor do I smoke, dip, etc.
Any advice, protocols, or experiences would be greatly appreciated and accepted. Thank you for your time!

-Michael A.

My .02c

Get a heart rate monitor and follow Maffetone’s 180 formula and build as much aerobic base as you can before the race without getting injured. You don’t have a lot of time, so the full marathon distance might not work out. But if you done any of those 10ks recently, then a half marathon should be no problem. If you’re healthy and fit on race day, go for it! You might even surprise yourself. I have.

Good Evening,

My name is Michael and I'm currently serving in the United States Marine Corps. The Marine Corps Embassy Security Group (MCESG) is sponsoring a marathon on October 24th, and I feel deeply compelled to attend and participate. I have completed more 5K's than I would care to count, and a couple of 10K's here and there with only a bit of trouble. However, a full marathon is foreign to me and certainly not an easy feat. Therefore, I've come before a community that would hopefully have some ideas for training and preparation. I have access to a full gym to include free weights, barbells, machines, and kettlebells (among other miscellaneous pieces of equipment) and can adapt my diet to include more natural and healthier foods/supplements compared to the chow hall, if necessary. If all else fails, the marathon is divided into four laps of the same course, and I would be able to end the race prematurely (1/4, 1/2, or 3/4).
My training history is mostly revolved around powerlifting, with a heavier focus on deadlifts and squats (I'm 6'3" and having long arms isn't an asset for bench). Most recently, I have been subjected to various PT's (log runs, calisthenics, rucks, etc.), all of from which I recover very easily. My nutrition is very inclusive and emphasizes natural foods: lean and fatty meats, fruits, vegetables, and an avoidance of processed foods and sugars (excluding an occasional dessert when on a night out with friends). I don't consume alcohol, nor do I smoke, dip, etc.
Any advice, protocols, or experiences would be greatly appreciated and accepted. Thank you for your time!

-Michael A.
Don’t really worry about all that gym stuff. It’s not going to help you at this point. @vegpedlr is right that building a deep aerobic base is what you really need. Unless you are already most of the way there, you don’t have time to do that either. But if as vegpedlr notes; if you have some recent 10k’s you might be good for the half...
Also depends on what your marathon aspirations are. To finish, or to finish well?

A marathon is pretty short... you might be able to suffer your way through it (but might also be a route to injury...)

(I don’t mean to be negative here...)

@michael.aubuchon, the simplest answer, since you seem to be in OK running shape already, would be to add a long run of increasing length every week or two. The usual advice to first-time marathoners is to work up to a 20-miler 2 or 3 weeks before your marathon.

And if you can, find a half-marathon race to run along the way, but treat it like another long run, not a race.

-S-

You might be able to get through a marathon by the 24th. I would like to note that most marathon plans are 12-18 weeks long and use a slow and steady build up. You do not have the luxury of that. Because of that there is an increased injury risk, and it shifts the goal from "have a good race" to "survive".

As Steve said, the key will be doing a long run every weekend working up in distance. This will help you work your specific fitness as well as help you get used to fueling while running. Don't worry so much about pace during these, just try to cover the distance. Duration will be the challenge, not speed. I would do something like this:

9/12- 8 miles
9/19- 10 miles
9/26- 12 miles
10/3- 15 miles
10/10- 18 miles
10/17- 12 miles
10/24- Marathon

Building up this quickly is not something I would recommend, but hard to tell without knowing more about your current running and recovery abilities.

I would keep the rest of your running fairly easy. Try to get at least as many miles as the long run during the week (IE if you have a 10 mile long run do something like an easy 6 and an easy 4). You might find it helps to do a very easy 2-4 miles the day after your long run (helps to get used to running on tired legs), but you might be too beat. Either is fine. If you add any intensity in I would prioritize short hill sprints. Those will get you a good stimulus, but not beat you up too much.

Note: 18 miles is not very long for a long run, most plans work up to 20-22. However, my concern would be that with this short a time you will have trouble building up to that distance and recovering from it. I don't know much about your current running ability. If you have been doing 60min+ runs currently then you could try shifting to a long run plan of: 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 12, Marathon. But, that's pretty aggressive.

Last edited:
No advice here, but personal experience.

I did my first (and so far only) marathon when I was 26.
According to what you wrote, you are probably in better shape than I was then. My conditioning was decent, but my strength...
The other relevant part is that I had only 8 weeks of specific training.

My situation at the start.
No excess fat (68kg for 1,71m). Used to run easy runs (10km in about 50 min, 12km/h average). Walked a lot. So definitely not a couch potato.
When the decision to go to the marathon, I had not really run for a few months, but I don't think I had lost a lot of conditioning. I was still walking a lot.

I used a 8 weeks training plan that basically turned around:
- one lone run per week (up to 2h30) at an easy pace. Fundamental endurance.
- one "resistance run", that was more glycolitic in nature. Shorter, faster. That's what I did then, maybe I would do differently today. :)
- one interval run. Some were short sprint with active recovery (typical repeat training), some were faster and longer interval with active recovery (jog) between.

I finished in 3h34. Not world class, but decent for a first-time event with relatively little time to train.

In brief: if you are in decent shape now, yes, you can do it with a decent result, like sub 4-hour.

Hi, @michael.aubuchon

Don't add anything to your weekly schedule - just run the marathon when the day comes. It will only feels like a long "ruck"

Keeping in mind that a Firestorm of comments may hit this post because of my advice, I will explain...

If you take it easy while running and make use of a good strategy* I am sure that YOU can pull it off with no preparation whatsoever because of your background and strength base.

If you want to be sure to beat a specific time (e.g. sub 3 hours) you need specific preparation. If so I highly recommend the book 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald. The protocols and advice in this book are science based and easy to incorporate to your training. I used it over the course of a year to improve my 5K run.

/Martin Joe

*A Strategy could be = 4:1 (4 minute RUN : 1 minute WALK) over the whole course. When running keep the perceived effort around 70 % of max effort ... easy running where you are able to talk while running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom