all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed March 11 SF newsletter with Fabio Zonin's hypertrophy plan

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GreenSoup

Level 6 Valued Member
I have been enjoying the StrongFirst newsletters and the wealth of information there. On March 11 the SF email was titled "A state-of-the art technique for building muscle as strong as it looks." It was more secretive than other SF newsletter emails with parts blanked out like a redacted intelligence memo. I presume this was so people would be curious to get the link to the free PDF. Thank you Mr. Zonin, this is information I definitely want to put into action.

Before starting, I noticed this line in the PDF about an aspect of the plan:
"Do this no more than once a week, and never for more than 2-3 weeks in a row."

It did not offer a longer term template than that line. Does that mean "3 weeks on, 1 week off" is a viable if done twice in an 8-week schedule?

Also Is there a limit on how many different exercises can employ the plan per week? If it were done for squatting, KB pressing, and pullups those are three exercises. Does that count as applying the plan 3 times in one week, or just "once" because those are three different exercises.

I liked the PDF, especially since I will start a new cycle in a couple of weeks. I'm not describing the plan in the forum because the SF newsletter apparently didn't want that info for wide release right away. It did suggest we post about results on the forum though, so I hope a question that doesn't describe the whole plan is okay.

Last edited:
Also Is there a limit on how many different exercises can employ the plan per week? If it were done for squatting, KB pressing, and pullups those are three exercises. Does that count as applying the plan 3 times in one week, or just "once" because those are three different exercises.
I can’t speak for the author, but I did a block last year with a similar rest/pause protocol and it included a finishing set for each exercise of the plan (minus back squats/deadlifts for safety reasons). I don’t think it would be too much to include it for those three exercises.

It also called for 3 weeks on, 1 week off, so I don’t know if THIS version would best be done the same way but I can definitely say it was my favorite program I have done and I saw great results.

Before starting, I noticed this line in the PDF about an aspect of the plan:

It did not offer a longer term template than that line. Does that mean "3 weeks on, 1 week off" is a viable if done twice in an 8-week schedule?
doesn't describe the whole plan is okay.
Yes, I was wondering about this as well. I have an idea in my head about how to do it which would be a twice weekly training program focused around 4 movements (double front squat, 2H swing, pull up, double press)

I was considering doing RP DFSQ/RP Double Press one day and RP 2H swings/pull ups the second day for three weeks and then do something less intense for the 4th week of the same two groupings of movements as a personal experiment for 8 total weeks (3 on, 1 deload, repeated). I will be sure to report back when finished, but it'll be a while as I'm currently tangled with the wolf (and loving it).

Well since it’s basically a form of rest pause I don’t see why it can’t be done multiple times a week within reason of course. Also I don’t see why it can’t be done for longer periods if structured appropriately.

It is also somewhat similar to the Russian bear approach and that can be done multiple times a week for several weeks.
You should pay attention to recovery as you should with any program though.

Thank you Mr. Zonin, this is information I definitely want to put into action.
Thank you, Sir!

Yes, I would not do it more than three weeks in a row. So all the following options work:
1 week on + 1 week off; repeat
2 weeks on + 1 week off; repeat
3 weeks on + 1 week off; repeat

You may use it in more than one lift at the same time. So applying it to your squat, pullup and press works very well. Only once a week per each one of them, though.

It also called for 3 weeks on, 1 week off, so I don’t know if THIS version would best be done the same way but I can definitely say it was my favorite program I have done and I saw great results.
Great to hear that you enjoyed good results with a similar technique!
And yes, 3 weeks on and 1 week off works very well.

Well since it’s basically a form of rest pause I don’t see why it can’t be done multiple times a week within reason of course. Also I don’t see why it can’t be done for longer periods if structured appropriately.
Exactly!

It is also somewhat similar to the Russian bear approach and that can be done multiple times a week for several weeks.
You should pay attention to recovery as you should with any program though.
100% in agreement.

Thank you all for your interest!

Yes, I would not do it more than three weeks in a row. So all the following options work:
1 week on + 1 week off; repeat
2 weeks on + 1 week off; repeat
3 weeks on + 1 week off; repeat
As said before, thank you for an interesting article. I will definitely try this but I am doing PS70 at the moment. What do you think about doing this together with PS? It would definitely push up the HARI.

Any chance to get a link to the pdf?
For some reason I never get the newsletters (probably our corporate security filtering thing)

@ClaudeR, please PM me if you'd like help getting your newsletter subscription working. (Include the email you signed up with in the PM and I will start investigating.)

-S-

I'm planning on using this as part of my next program in a few weeks, and I have a few questions:

Would doing the Interrupted Set following a heavy workout only once a week be enough to get stronger? Or would I need another session or two (without the I-S) to make progress?

For training both the bench press and weighted dips, could I do the I-S every week for longer if I switch between them every 2-3 weeks? And should I have a maintenance session?

If I have to fit the program in with LISS running, would I want to run the day after, or should I run and then lift, and rest for the next day?

Thanks!

I'm planning on using this as part of my next program in a few weeks, and I have a few questions:

Would doing the Interrupted Set following a heavy workout only once a week be enough to get stronger? Or would I need another session or two (without the I-S) to make progress?

For training both the bench press and weighted dips, could I do the I-S every week for longer if I switch between them every 2-3 weeks? And should I have a maintenance session?

If I have to fit the program in with LISS running, would I want to run the day after, or should I run and then lift, and rest for the next day?

Thanks!

Once a week is enough

I'd use the IS for one push movement (and maybe a squat or pull) but not for two movements of the same pattern

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom