all posts post new thread

Mars Attacks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wow, today was tough. Felt really sluggish and I had to skip TGUs because I took an eternity getting my warmup and swings done. Yesterday I just ate some leftovers for breakfast and 2 plain beef burgers with salad in the evening. So maybe just not enough carbs/calories?

Day 49, 14. April 6:00
-Warmup
-One Handed Swings: 20 kg, 10 sets of 10

Done. :)

For whatever reason I struggled more than usual at the start of the week. But today felt normal again. No idea if it was the heavier weight or something else.

Day 50, 15. April 6:00
-Warmup
-TGU: 20kg, 5 singles per arm

Day 51, 16. April 17:00
-Warmup

Day 52, 17. April 6:00
-Warmup

Weird first workout of the week. Warmup felt like cr**. So did the first 3-4 sets of swings. But the rest of the workout was super easy.

Day 53, 20. April 6:00
-Warmup

I re-read S&S 2ed over the weekend (great read!) and wanted to give the 2h swings a try once more. Felt great. But also really easy. A 24kg KB is on it's way but I still haven't outgrown the 20kg KB. I think one of my "problems" with one handed swings is the slick coating of the KBs I bought. Even with chalk and cleaning the handle with soap before the workout. holding on to the 20kg KB is something I have to focus on doing one handed swings. The 24kg KB is of a different make with a different coating. I am curious if I notice a difference.

Day 54, 21. April 18:00
-Warmup
-Two Handed Swings: 20 kg, 10 sets of 10

Doing the workouts after work makes them a lot easier. Getting them done first thing in the morning is convenient. But I have to keep that in mind.

Day 55, 22. April 18:00
-Warmup

Day 56, 23. April 18:00
-Warmup

Day 56, 24. April 6:00
-Warmup

Day 57, 27. April 18:00
-Warmup

Day 58, 28. April 19:00
-Warmup

Oh man, I got a little bit of bad news. I went to Yoga class with my GF on Friday and somehow managed to tweak my back and neck. I knew that my posture and back were a bit messed up from sitting way too much and not getting enough exercise. But the last couple of months of KB training have helped a ton and given that I never had any serious issues before I didn't think anything about it. Apparently bending back and forth a million time for 90 minutes was a bad idea.

Haven't tried training with KBs since then but given that it isn't anything too serious I will give them a try Monday morning anyways. My 24kg KB has arrived and I will try the S&S 2.0 weight progression for the first time.

Another little problem is that my landlord has gotten in some financial problems and that she wants to sell the flat we rent as soon as possible. Not right now. But she has asked us to start looking for a new place so that she can start fixing up the place over the summer. Oh well. It's annoying but she has been really good to me over almost 7 years and never raised rent so there is not much point in complaining.

Day 59, 29. April 18:00
-Warmup

Day 60, 30. April 6:00
-Warmup

Last edited:
Thanks @Kiacek! It wasn't noticeable doing two handed swings and not painful doing TGUs. Today I did some sun salutations in the morning and it actually made me feel better. I guess I just overdid it. The muscles in my upper back and shoulder girdle are really tight and overworked from being hunch over a desk all day for years and they rebelled when I started doing TGUs as well. Lot's of weird klicking and feeling like something would rip apart. The lower volume didn't cause any issues and now it actually makes me feel better. Maybe doing some Yoga moves on the regular will improve things as well. Just not 90 minutes at a time :D

Day 61, 4. May 6:00
-Warmup
-Two Handed Swings: 20k 20k 24k 24k 20k 20k 20k 2k0 20k 20k, 10 reps each
-TGU: 20 24 20 20 20, 1 rep per side

Day 62, 5. May 8:00
-5 sun salutations
-S&S Warmup
-One Handed Swings: 21,25 kg, 10 sets of 10
-TGU: 21,25kg, 5 singles per arm

Wow, time flies. Had a super busy couple of weeks and had no time to update my log. I still do my S&S workouts 4-5 times a week with a 22,5kg KB. My Yoga-related ouchies have cleared up. But sadly I am back to eating like crap and drinking too much coffee. :(

I am not trying to make excuses for that and with more discipline I could prepare healthy meals even now. But looking for a new apartment is much more time consuming and stressful than I had thought it would be. Still haven't found anything I like and my landlords recently made made clear that they would REALLY like us be out of the apartment at the end of June at the latest. Oh well, what can you do.

I hope I can get back to regularly logging my workouts here. But in case I will be gone for a couple more weeks rest assured I will still get a couple of S&S workouts in ;)

Hi everyone!

Just checking in again to tell you I am still doing S&S. I just get it done first thing in the morning with the 24kg bell. If I have time and energy I do some Pull Ups, Push Ups and Lunges Fighter Pull Up Style in the evening.

But other than that I still have a lot on my plate. Started moving to a new apartment. A bit more expensive but with a tiny little garden. Our old landlords allowed us to store all our junk in one of the rooms because we only got our keys on July 1st and want to have a moving company take everything to the new place this weekend. So not done yet :D

By end of July things should have normalized. At least I hope so! ;)

Bye!

Time flies. I have continued doing S&S about 5 times a week and will start using a 28kg KB once it has arrived. One thing I noticed over the summer was how slippery the surface on my KBs is. I used some sandpaper on my 24kg KB and swings instantly felt substantially lighter (I would say roughly 5-6kg lighter). I used to wipe the handles with alcohol and started using chalk before the start of summer. But the coat itself is a lot more slippery than the bare metal underneath. Oh well, better late than never.

*sigh* I have some minor setbacks to report. My new 28kg KB arrived and because of the great experience I had with sanding down the 24kg KB I immediately sanded off the slick finish. Problem is the KB has some minor casting burrs left in the inside of the handle. So once in a while they tear up my hands a little bit. It's not a problem with 2 handed swings so I will stick to 1 handed swings with the 24kg KB while I make up my mind. I have been sanding for quite a while but the whole surface is a lot rougher than with my 24kg bell. So I might just bite the bullet and get a new one. Probably with a better finish if I can find some.

I guess this Log is more or less dead. :( Good thing is I am still sticking to S&S! Bad thing is that my old shop will not be able to deliver new KBs until the end of the year and everyone else is sold out as well. So I try to work with the 28kg KB I messed up but from tme to time they chew up my hands a little bit. I have bought a sling trainer just in case I can't progress S&S as intended. But maybe I will simply switch to RoP or something else.

*sigh* I have some minor setbacks to report. My new 28kg KB arrived and because of the great experience I had with sanding down the 24kg KB I immediately sanded off the slick finish. Problem is the KB has some minor casting burrs left in the inside of the handle. So once in a while they tear up my hands a little bit. It's not a problem with 2 handed swings so I will stick to 1 handed swings with the 24kg KB while I make up my mind. I have been sanding for quite a while but the whole surface is a lot rougher than with my 24kg bell. So I might just bite the bullet and get a new one. Probably with a better finish if I can find some.
Why not take a rough bastard file and then a fine file to those heavy burrs before sanding. Or a Dremel tool if you can borrow one from someone. Metal will conform to a smoother surface if you use some tools before sanding.

Why not take a rough bastard file and then a fine file to those heavy burrs before sanding. Or a Dremel tool if you can borrow one from someone. Metal will conform to a smoother surface if you use some tools before sanding.

Oh, I was dragging my feed and still got a good workout using my 24kg KB with a 2.5kg plate taped to it. I only have very simple tools at home and barely any experience doing anything more complicated than hammering in a nail. Given that the crappy file I own barely removed any material I didn't put much effort into trying to fix the cast iron 28kg KB. There are some very clear edges and dimples compared to my 24kg KB and now I found a competition 28kg KB anyways. My rough schedule for S&S is to start working the 32kg KB in mid Nov./start of Dec. so I should still be able to achieve Simple by years ed.

Oh, I was dragging my feed and still got a good workout using my 24kg KB with a 2.5kg plate taped to it. I only have very simple tools at home and barely any experience doing anything more complicated than hammering in a nail. Given that the crappy file I own barely removed any material I didn't put much effort into trying to fix the cast iron 28kg KB. There are some very clear edges and dimples compared to my 24kg KB and now I found a competition 28kg KB anyways. My rough schedule for S&S is to start working the 32kg KB in mid Nov./start of Dec. so I should still be able to achieve Simple by years ed.
Hey, it's your money. Just thought a good bastard file from a hardware store might cost 1/20th of a competition 28kg. bell.

Hey, it's your money. Just thought a good bastard file from a hardware store might cost 1/20th of a competition 28kg. bell.

You are right. If I really wanted to I probably could have dealt with my problem earlier and cheaper. I am a lot crankier than usual in general and was really annoyed at myself for messing up my new KB. So after a bit of sanding and filing I just put the 28kg KB in a corner stuck with the 24kg (26,5kg actually) one for the most part. Having a new toy makes S&S a bit more exciting so there is that at least ;)

Log Nr. 2, Day 1:
Today I went a bit crazy playing around with my sling trainer/TRX knockoff after work and now I am really, really sore.

Morning:
Warm Up
1 H Swings: 28kg 10x10
TGU: 28kg 5x1 per arm

Afternoon:
TRX pushup, TRX row, TRX one legged squat series using 1,2,3,4,5 ladders. x5

Log Nr. 2, Day 2:

Warm Up
1H Swings: 28kg 10x10
TGU: 28kg 3x1 per arm

I am still sore and decided to play it safe with the TGU. Having a KB fall on my face is not on my 2020 bucket list.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom