all posts post new thread

Barbell Martial art & full body program, when to do what?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

chrisboffer

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey i just started to train again after having your depression.

I don't know if it's the best way to do it I need someone to confirm it if it's good or not.

I want to hit all the muscles 3 times week & train martial arts 3 times a week, but should I train martial arts and weight training at the same day? or should I train muscle one day and then martial arts next day?

Will my body be able to rest enough so I don't over train?

Before I got a depression I trained muscle training and martial art, but I did it too much and overtrained and then I got a injury, and then I got depression because I couldn't train, so this time I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right.

I have uploaded my training program, any help I will appreciate =)

@chrisboffer its all about your ability to recover. If you train both on the same and you feel overly tired or “worn out” the next day you may want to split them up and see how that feels. Recovery, and your ability to stay fresh is the goal. Some minor fatigue should be expected, but nothing significant, and if your body tells you to rest, rest. It’s alright to take an extra day or two off when needed.

Hey i just started to train again after having your depression.

I don't know if it's the best way to do it I need someone to confirm it if it's good or not.

I want to hit all the muscles 3 times week & train martial arts 3 times a week, but should I train martial arts and weight training at the same day? or should I train muscle one day and then martial arts next day?

Will my body be able to rest enough so I don't over train?

Before I got a depression I trained muscle training and martial art, but I did it too much and overtrained and then I got a injury, and then I got depression because I couldn't train, so this time I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right.

I have uploaded my training program, any help I will appreciate =)

A lot of volume on those charts. I would pick (2) of your favorite exercises from Monday schedule and do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 60% or so of 1RMax, rest between sets is as needed or what I call GWR, Go When Ready. Do the same thing for Wed. and Fri. You could do your martial arts on days in between. You did not mention your age, but I'm thinking I would probably keep you around the 60% 1RMax range for 3-4 weeks or so.

I assume you are following the program that you put down at the end of the spreadsheet? I think it looks ok. It is quite a old school style of training but it will work I’m sure.

If there are concerns about your ability to recover, I would first cut out the cardio. Then maybe reduce by 1 set across the board. I am assuming here martial arts are your priority.

Thanks for the answer good to know that it will work, I will listen to my body, and reduce by 1 set if needed, I would say it's building muscle is first priority, and then martial art.

Thanks for the answer good to know that it will work, I will listen to my body, and reduce by 1 set if needed, I would say it's building muscle is first priority, and then martial art.
I apologize for being so blunt, but if building muscle is your priority, I don't think martial arts will help support that. If anything, martial arts will take away from that.

Having said that, it is possible to build muscle and do martial arts. Especially if it's a case where that martial art demands you to put on that muscle. But, in this case the priority is the martial art, and you will do some muscle building exercising & lifestyle that supports the martial art.

So in essence it's like this:
A. if building muscle is really the priority, then drop martial arts
B. If you want to do both, prioritize the martial arts. Then do easy-type hypertrophy program that supports or minimally interferes with martial arts. You won't get as big as you would in scenario A.

Try to be honest with yourself and figure out what benefits that you were actually looking for out of each of those pursuits. Pick out the horse that will put you in a better place (muscle or martial arts), and then ride that horse for all it's worth.

Good Luck!

My goal is one day two get muscle like Scott Adkins has, he do martial arts, here is a picture of him:
c12a11379d6688d8b40c591e56759de3.jpg

I have a weight west i can put on when i do martial arts, i can put 30 kg on that, when work myself up to carry that much weight.

Never heard of Chris Adkins, but a quick google search showed this:

Scott Adkins is an English actor who has won the hearts of many action film fans over the years because of his excellent technique and diverse fighting background. Here are some things you may not know about this beloved martial artist and actor:
  • Adkins, 41, has been training in martial arts since age 14, when he first started studying taekwondo. At age 16, he started taking up kickboxing, which he’s now an instructor in. Throughout his life he also trained in karate, judo, jujutsu, krav maga, and ninjutsu.
  • He goes to the gym five to six days a week and trains simply but hard, keeping weight and volume training in his repertoire. He does weight training three days a week, and two days of martial arts-centric cardio. He can bench over 100kg against his own weight of about 80kg, and does sprint training for heavy muscle growth.
So there's his formula. 27years of martial arts and training will get you there. Also, it's not out of the realm for professional actors to add some chemical enhancement either.

Hello,

@chrisboffer
If you can moderately load a barbell (as this post is in the barbell section), here is a template you can follow, even if it was firstly designed for kettlebell

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@chrisboffer
If you can moderately load a barbell (as this post is in the barbell section), here is a template you can follow, even if it was firstly designed for kettlebell

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks i will look into that

It is down to you how you program your lifting and martial arts. However I like to program my training under the philosophy of "make my hard days HARD, make my easy days EASY."

So imagine training and lifting Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Keeping these sessions at least 4 hours apart.

On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday rest, stretch and some low intensity aerobic work.

I also like to take Sundays off completely, nothing more intense than a long walk with the family and dogs. Just easy calories burnt and getting the blood flowing around the body.

Just some ideas.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom