all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Martial Arts - Where to start

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Grant

Level 1 Valued Member
I know many people on this forum have a background in martial arts, so I thought I would seek out some advice. I am 40 yo and have no experience in this area, but am otherwise healthy, active, and have no restrictions. We are considering starting with one of my 5 yo sons as a way to have some father/son activities that also have all of the benefits that I believe (but, obviously have not experienced firsthand) to be true of a martial arts practice.

Can someone provide some guidance on what to look for in deciding who to work with and where? I know that is a very broad question, but I don't yet know enough to ask reasonably focused questions so I am starting broad.

Long shot: If anyone has any specific recommendations for locations in the west metro are of the Twin Cities, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

I would check reviews on schools in your area. Then I would check out all the ones that seem good based on reviews that offer a Trial/Free class and that also are in your budget. Go with the one that has the best instructor. Don't neglect the local Rec Center or YMCA as sometimes the best instructors teach there in favor of having to overcharge due to rent fees....

Martial arts styles are many and varied, and can be a hotly debated topic (although also one of my favorite subjects). What is it you're seeking most in taking up a particular discipline? General fitness? A sport? Self defense?

+1 to @MikeMoran's recommendation - teacher is more important than style.

We had an excellent experience with Tae Kwon Do with our son. There are a number of federations; ours was WTF (World Taekwondo Federation), the same one as Master SFG and Grand Master Jon Engum. My favorite thing about our teacher was that he insisted on teaching the 4-year-old's himself, even though some of the older, black belt students would teach the older classes - he knew the importance of how they would get started.

-S-

Teacher is everything....unfortunately some unhealthy personality types end up running schools...number one priority is to protect te wee ones from bad role models. Much bigger variance between teachers than between styles....good teachers all end up similar regardless of style. Go with your gut....if the place feels comfortable when you walk in and teachers and students are relaxed, friendly people that is good. Beware of places that have uncomfortable atmospheres, obvious pecking orders and excessive harshness...my experience has shown time and again that the good teachers are self effacing, easygoing, humble people who instantly put evryone around them at ease. Beware of those who aim to make everyone around them feel uncomfortable. Only the scared feel a need to scare indiscriminately.

For me anyhow, I have found with Martial Arts/combat activities that they have changed in accordance with "Why"I wanted to do them. So when I was younger I boxed because it was the thing to do and I enjoyed it. As I got older and had kids I found that I was looking at martial arts as a means of ensuring that I was able to protect my family/kids so I practised Krav Maga. I have scratched that itch and I am interested in competing so I am now doing Bjj. If it for self defence, look at Krav Maga as it a very effective system; if it is to compete look at bjj, some of the striking martial arts such as boxing or Muay Thai are " taxing" once you pass 'mid thirties. Again in relation to self defence look up Geoff Thompson, he is an authority on self defense and fear management, basically all of the things a trad dojo won't teach you.
Enjoy!!

Thanks much for the the insights and guidance- much appreciated. My general takeaway is to focus more on the teacher and less on the particular style. Which makes particular sense to me given that the primary focus of our endeavor is focused on my 5 yo son. To answer one of the earlier questions - we are less interested in the sport and self defense aspects and more interested in general fitness and the mental aspects. I am hopeful that we will witness some benefits in confidence and focus.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Take a look at Tae Kwon do, it's excellent for kids, I've two girls and they love it as they see it as "play" but it builds a solid platform if your child wants to progress in martial arts, does wonders for confidence and focus! Oh you'll enjoy it too, great for working out "stress"

@Grant , based on your intention for the instruction, you might consider seeking out a Yang style Tai Chi instructor. Or, possibly a Yoga, Vinyasa or Warrior, instructor with a youth program.

Both options would provide a solid movement practice foundation, which would equip and empower all involved to make informed decisions downstream.

If either is a bit too far outside of what you would consider martial then Judo may be of interest.

Ultimately, quality instruction with healthy expectations and positive learning outcomes matter most.

I personally recommend Gracie Jiu-Jitsu - safe, practical, and fun.

I'm massively biased here, and I will elaborate, but I'd recommend boxing to anyone interested in martial arts/combat sports.

Reasons:

1. (At least here in England) Accessibility. Boxing gyms are all over the place and they always seem to be cheap to attend (in my experience no more than £2 per session). You also tend to realise sooner rather than later if the gym you're at is any good (i.e. coach takes time to ensure the beginners learn the basics well).

2. Boxing forces you to be fit. Very fit. People don't realise how tiring fighting is until they try it.

3. Simplicity. You can learn a lot of the basics of footwork, straight punches and basic defences within a couple of weeks (depending on how many times a week you train).

4. Most importantly, ACTUAL SPARRING. I understand, as someone who was thrown in at the deep end too early, that this can be scary, which is why a good coach who will take time to ensure beginners don't do too much too soon and get beaten up is so important, especially for kids.

Now, elaborating on 4., my bias towards boxing as a martial art in general and not just as a competitive sport stems from the fact that, with boxing gyms being everywhere, it's a very accessible way of learning how to fight (someone trying to hit you while you try to hit them), and since learning to fight/defend oneself is realistically the core purpose of learning a martial art, REALISTIC SPARRING IS KEY. Depending on where you live however, there may be many gyms of other styles which offer such realistic sparring; I just happen to live somewhere where such places are few and far between, and so boxing is the best bet.

Take home message from me, if you or the kids want to do martial arts for self-defence, then the most important factor in choosing a style or gym is PROGRESSIVE, REALISTIC SPARRING (and just to be clear, 'realistic' means that one should eventually become confident when it comes to defending against someone throwing a punch with bad intentions at their face; think about it, if someone starts a fight on you, this is what they'll most likely do).

P.S. In case I sound a bit blunt and gloomy, I promise you that while potentially scary at first, the sort of training I'm on about is a lot of fun, and very safe in the right environment and with the right coach! :)

As a former karate teacher, I'd like to add that you need to know when to move on as well.
Most kids after a year or two, get bored and want a new challenge. There are many different sports besides
the martial arts, and they all have value for a developing young mind and body.

Al

I was also going to recommend Tae Kwon Do, too. I'm going to take a leap and venture that you're goal isn't for him to be the next Rhonda Rousey, it's to introduce him to a fostering outlet and atmosphere.

I think at that age, you're looking for a warm environment, kind of the Walker Texas Ranger vibe (I don't mean that negatively, I just don't know how else to express it), and something that's relatively accessible to learn. We don't have children yet, but when I was teaching (special ed), I spent an hour every afternoon in a kinder class, and that's what I would want for my similarly-aged child. TKD also has some elements children find exciting, like sparring and breaking.

I went to a kung fu school for a few years. It was terribly complicated. The nuance appealed to me, but I felt bad for the kids. They had a lot of fun in class, but I didn't seem them becoming better martial artists or being part of that really warm atmosphere we think of when we think of martial arts and kids. This was also during the time when I was doing CrossFit, and Noreen Thackrey was a member of our gym. Noreen and her husband operate a studio in town, and it seemed like such a perfect place to be a part of.

Whats your thoughts on MMA? They teach a bit of everything? Some of my friends kids go there.

I do too have two five year olds. I am thinking of sending them to a school, also plan joining them for myself; i am 42. As for me, I need it for general fitness and elf defense.

So, Tae Kwon Do seems to be the most recommended then?

Whats your thoughts on MMA? They teach a bit of everything? Some of my friends kids go there.

I do too have two five year olds. I am thinking of sending them to a school, also plan joining them for myself; i am 42. As for me, I need it for general fitness and elf defense.

So, Tae Kwon Do seems to be the most recommended then?

Like I said in my first reply. Check what is in your area. Check the ones that offer a free class. I would be weary of places with HARD SELL contracts.

I prefer places that do some form of LIVE sparring.

As others have said, the school/coach is really important. For adults too but especially for kids. I did judo as a kid and loved it. I stopped when my class stopped and switched to a more formal school, age about 13, and didn't like it, at all. The emphasis was on fun and chucking big adults around a mat, lots of floor games and crawling and that switched to a more disciplined approach. Guess it would depend what you want from it all, or your kids want. For self defence, later in my teens I wanted to learn some self defence as I was hitch hiking .....yes I'm that old....around Europe, roughing it and travelling. So a more real street attack scenario, mugging, knife crime that sort of thing. I had my first line of defence worked out......I'm, well was, very fast! Anyway, through an odd set of circumstances I studied escrima. It is a very under rated martial art. At the time there was only 2 schools in the uk. My coach, fresh from studying with Dan Inosanto, gave me some private tuition and I was hooked for 5 years. It is one of my great regrets that I stopped. Although, to be fair, I wouldn't have taken it much further as I'm really not a fighter, failing a grading due to a lack of aggression! It has given me great confidence however throughout my life, despite not training or being particularly fit during various times of my life.....you know if push came to shove, so to speak. The school evolved and incorporated wing chun and western boxing into the practice. Knowing what I know now, escrima would get the thumbs up from The FMS philosophy of symmetry, as it places equal importance to your strong side! There are no katas as such, just 12 positions of attack and defence, both armed and unarmed. Master them from both sides. Add power. Add speed over time and practice. Brutally effective. As said, very under rated. I've no idea why that should be, really. Well worth looking into, both escrima and wing chun.

@Abdul Rasheed, no high kicks in escrima. You don't really need them defending yourself against an elf!!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom