all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Mathematical Model - Weighted Pullups to Front Lever

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Yak

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello Everyone. I have been training calisthenics for two years, and in the process I have noticed that there is correlation between weighted pullup maxes and front lever progressions. Therefore, I have decided to do a mathematics modelling project on weighted pullup to front lever progression. The model aims to predict front lever performance based on weighted pull-up 1RM max. Of course, height will have to be a factor for this model too.

In order to do this, I will need to gather as much data as possible. Therefore I hope you all can fill out the short survey I have attached. The survey is anonymous, but the data is public for anyone who would like to do further research off the data collected. Once the model is done, I can post it and hopefully it can be used as a tool for the calisthenics community. Thank you for your time.

Survey Link: Weighted Pullup and Front Lever Survey

What are your all views on this? I think the data will have an interesting correlation.

@Yak, do you have anecdotal evidence that any others respond in the same way as you?

-S-

@Yak, do you have anecdotal evidence that any others respond in the same way as you?

-S-

Yeah, in the past FrinksMovement did a similar survey and it showed that there is a correlation between the two moves. This survey aims to expand upon it and collect some more data so I can do a proper analysis.

I am looking forward your first results @Yak !
May I aks you what type of modelling do you plan to use ?
(As I guess that saturation effects occur at some point, thus necessitating non-linear models to be properly modeled)

Hello Everyone. I have been training calisthenics for two years, and in the process I have noticed that there is correlation between weighted pullup maxes and front lever progressions. Therefore, I have decided to do a mathematics modelling project on weighted pullup to front lever progression. The model aims to predict front lever performance based on weighted pull-up 1RM max. Of course, height will have to be a factor for this model too.

In order to do this, I will need to gather as much data as possible. Therefore I hope you all can fill out the short survey I have attached. The survey is anonymous, but the data is public for anyone who would like to do further research off the data collected. Once the model is done, I can post it and hopefully it can be used as a tool for the calisthenics community. Thank you for your time.

Survey Link: Weighted Pullup and Front Lever Survey

What are your all views on this? I think the data will have an interesting correlation.
Welcome to the forum!

I like the simple questionnaire and your use of images.

Do you propose a carryover? If so, maybe you could add a question on whether someone actually trains the movements (or only one of them) in question - or only tests them for the sake of this survey.

I am looking forward your first results @Yak !
May I aks you what type of modelling do you plan to use ?
(As I guess that saturation effects occur at some point, thus necessitating non-linear models to be properly modeled)
Yeah, clearly the model is not going to be linear. I am doing this for a highschool math project and therefore they want us to really ''investigate'' different forms of functions. With enough results hopefully a scatter plot will show some form of relationship, then I aim to work from there by applying common functions to see if they fit the data. Personally, I am predicting a logarithmic model but honestly I dont know what it will be. I am sure it will be an interesting relationship regardless. I also think that height will play a major role in the relationship, so I think for my first analysis I might restrict the height and compare shorter vs taller people. I am still not entirely sure how I will do the model, it will be decided once enough data is collected.

Welcome to the forum!

I like the simple questionnaire and your use of images.

Do you propose a carryover? If so, maybe you could add a question on whether someone actually trains the movements (or only one of them) in question - or only tests them for the sake of this survey.
Thank you.
In terms of carryover, I think there will be a carry over from weighted pull-ups to front lever. This is just because they use similar muscles, most namely the lats. However, there is also the issue of specificity to address, as you have mentioned. Thats why I have one question that asks if the respondent has specifically trained for front lever. However I had not considered that they may not normally train weighted pull-ups as you have suggested, maybe they just did it for the survey. I think I will add a question that asks if they usually train weighted pull-ups. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried to keep the survey short as I know that if its long people don't usually do it. However, currently I only have 36 responses which is not nearly enough for working on the model or looking at the relationship yet. I tried posting it on reddit but it got ignored, I think ill try again soon. It would really help me out if everyone told their friends about this survey so I can collect some more data.

One small require: Can I have the access to the result data after finishing the survey? Quite curious, and probably I could help at something

Yeah sure, I think I have already made the data public. But here is the link to the spreadsheet which stores all the responses. Right now there arent that many responses, but ill do my best to get more people to do the form. The spreadsheet will update automatically with each response.

Spreadsheet

@Yak, could you publish the docs like in the picture below, and send me the link?

Attachments

• require.png
    require.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 11
Yeah sure, ive published it as a webpage but if you need it in a different format (like an .xlsx) I can do that for you too. If you are going to use the data, make sure you filter it, because there seems to be some typos that have been entered, or impossible values.

Here is a hyperlink to the page

I create some charts, try to find any insight.
Pull-up.PNG

Seems like relative strength (measured by divide 1-rm pull up weight to bodyweight) is more important than just 1 RM pull up weight=> which is reasonable.

People who can hold difficult position (straddle and above) seems light weight.

But of course, the data is small the significant is small too I guest

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom