all posts post new thread

Matt604's log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Not the program, but still a good plan IMO. I've considered doing the same at various times, and think it's a very viable approach even with single KBs.

Thanks @Swann1! Today:

A1: 8 x 2 C+P/24 kg
A2: 8 x 2 TPU/BW

Feels good. I always forget what a complete torso workout it is to alternate these two drills.

Mild left elbow pain mid-session, but it disappeared after a few hand extensor reps with rubber bands.

Thanks so much for checking in, @Lee Hunt. I was having some issues with my back and decided to take a break from presses and pull-ups altogether.

I have been taking it easy, doing super joints, a little stretching, and limiting my strength work to grippers and hardstyle breathing practice. Still pondering next steps -- I will return to this log once I get back to full body lifts, though it may not be high-tension presses.

Thanks so much for checking in, @Lee Hunt. I was having some issues with my back and decided to take a break from presses and pull-ups altogether.

I have been taking it easy, doing super joints, a little stretching, and limiting my strength work to grippers and hardstyle breathing practice. Still pondering next steps -- I will return to this log once I get back to full body lifts, though it may not be high-tension presses.

I hope you feel better soon!

OK, I have been tinkering with various things over the past month or so, but it's time to get back on the bus. My goals are admittedly vague -- improve conditioning for daily living (i.e., never feel winded except while working out), prevent the weight creep that is typical for office-dwelling men my age, and enjoy working out. And sure, I'd like to press 48 kg one day, why not?

I'm gong to focus on 1-arm MP for strength. It's the grind I always come back to -- my one true love. It doesn't cause tightness between my scapula the way double presses do, and I think long-term it's a better choice for me.

I also want to work on double clean and jerk with very light bells. This is for conditioning. I have come to acknowledge that I just don't enjoy swings enough to stick to them for any length of time. (Know thyself.)

So my thinking is:

- 2 days a week of MP, building to 10 sets of 5 using the progression of the Strong! program. Start with 24 kg.

- 2 days a week of C+J (the day after MP), building to 20 sets of 5 on the minute. Start with double 12 kg. Use triple-progression -- first get to 20 sets, then add reps. Once I own 20x5 OTM, increase weight slightly and start over. I now own adjustable comp-style bells, so I can go up in 1 kg increments if necessary.

Because I will already be doing a lot of cleans on the conditioning days, I may try snatching the bell to start each MP set, as in ROTK.

Comments welcome, of course.

Tonight: C+J/2 x 12 kg - 20 sets of 3 OTM (5 reps on last set)

This weight is ridiculously light. I felt like I could have gone on at this pace forever, but I'm not sure I could have done 20 x 5 without running out of wind. Next time will try for 20 x 4. As soon as I can hit 20 x 5 comfortably, I will increase the weight to 2 x 14 kg. Five reps takes about 30 seconds, so that would be :30/:30 work/rest.

I may just focus on C+J for a while to get my conditioning up. I'm hesitant to add in the MP -- it could be too much overhead work and/or just trying to do too many things at once. Maybe I'll MP just once a week and/or for fewer reps than I stated above.

C+J/2 x 12 kg - 20 sets of 4 OTM (5 reps on last set)

Huffing and puffing more by the end than I did last time with sets of 3 reps, but I was able to focus enough to start each set on the minute. Try for 20 x 5 next time.

I have been doing sets of 20 pushups throughout the day for the past few days. Feels good. I may stick with it for a while.

C+J/2 x 12 kg - 20 sets of 5 OTM

Didn't feel much different than 20 x 4. I am going to add 2 kg per side. I am glad to move on from 12 kg -- the bells are so light that they fly up at lockout, and then come slamming back down on my wrists. Each impact is minimal but after 50-60 reps it starts to nag. This was probably too light to start. I may end up at 14 kg for a long time but that's OK. I think I will start with sets of 3 again for this new weight, and just see how it goes.

I did this one barefoot, rather than wearing my Do-Wins (significant heel lift). I think I'll stick with barefoot. I don't think the shoes were making much difference, and this way it's one less item I need to have with me to work out.

I have continued to do sets of 20 push-ups randomly throughout the day. I got 7 sets today. 20 is quite easy for me, and doing a bunch of sets does not seem to take anything out of me. (No idea if they give me anything either, other than a temporary flush and pump.) I tried for a "max" set last week and got 40, and I'm pretty sure I could have eked out another 10 if someone had been watching, so 20 is under 50%.

I am not going to add heavy presses at this time. I want to focus on C+J for a while. So my current plan is:

- 20 min C+J - every other day
- Superjoints recharge - I have not been doing this regularly but would like to get back to doing it daily -- I can really feel the benefits when I do it
- push-ups - high frequency, low intensity, low fatigue - maybe do these as a program, or maybe just keep it random for a while

Huh -- no high-tension strength work at all. Maybe this log is on the wrong site?

I'm going to try logging all work here daily, rather than just C+J days. Catching up:

4/4
recharge - yes
push-ups - 4 sets of 20

4/5
recharge - no
push-ups - 3 sets of 20

4/6
recharge - yes
push-ups - 5 sets of 20

4/8 - woke up with a bit of soreness deep in the shoulder joints. So I thought, beginnings of overuse issue from push-ups? Then I caught myself thinking about a hundred things I could change and/or add to my current program, which is not actually a program at all but a collection of shiny objects. Looking back at this log, I am ashamed of my blatant program-hopping.

So, back to the original plan. The "Strong!" program, clean and press. Double 24 kg bells is right for me. Picking up where I left off back in January:

recharge - yes (shoulder pain gone afterwards)

Strong! C+P, Phase 1, Day 6/24
7 sets of 2

Not easy but not hard. Now for the hard part -- sticking to the plan....

Pain in low back this morning, first day after restarting double clean and press. It must be my clean technique. I am at my wits' end.

I am terminating this log. Thanks to everyone for your support.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom