all posts post new thread

Matt's first training log ever. Variety and experiments.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Been slacking with the log lately but not the training.

Achieved simple a couple of minutes ago. First time I've tested.

Swings in 4:30, TGUs in 7:00

Pretty happy. 77 and humid in my living room. Never would have been possible without chalk. Can't believe I went so long without it.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Keeping a log must be good for you. ;)

Off yesterday.

SS today.

Swings: 32, 32, 40(5), 40(5), 40(5), 40(5), 32

Used 5 rep sets with the 40 just to get comfortable, haven't swung it much 1 handed.

TGUs: all 32s with 3 sec pause at each step

Last edited:
SS today.

Swings: 32, 32, 40, 40, 32, 32 ("accidentally" did 120, oops)

TGUs: all 32, no long pauses today. Arms tired.

Played around with the 40. Did some overhead holds and some floor press holds. I think I could have done my first getup with it if I tried earlier in the workout. Soon.

Last edited:
Swings:
2 hand 60kg 10x5
2 hand power style 40kg 10x5
2 mins rest between sets on all

TGUs: 10 w/ 32

"Off day" today.

Manual labor in the yard. Carried buckets of gravel. All of those suitcase walks the past year came in handy!

@MattM Where did you get your 60kg? I've been working with a 48kg for a couple of months - I'm looking pick up a 24 or 32 to work on some get ups later in the summer - but in the meantime, I might jump up to a 68 for 2HSWs...

@Johnny Bird I got it from Perform Better. They had a huge sale last fall and I live close so I skipped shipping and picked it up. I would not have bought it full price and with shipping however.

I like it. I try to swing it once a week. It's heavy as hell, I cannot imagine ever swinging it one handed as I have seen done in videos.

As much as I like it I feel that I generate much more power during 40kg swings, never tried 48kg swings but I feel like that would be a perfect weight for 2 handed swings (for me anyways).

100 2 handed 40kg swings, 2 mins rest between sets
2x5 warmup
6x5 power
6x10 banded overspeed

10 32kg TGUs with 3 sec pause at each step. Pretty smoked after the swings, not sure at the time that I had a safe 40kg getup in me. Now I wish I tried some.

Note: too many 2 handed swings lately.

So. It looks like I've forgotten to update this in 2 months. Passed my SFG which was giving me a lot of anxiety. Glad that's over. Now back to experimenting. My goal for the foreseeable future is overall conditioning and fat loss while maintaining as much strength as possible.

I learned about Pavels Strength Aerobics through a search. Article here: Strength Aerobics: “Conditioning” Workouts That Work

Of course I tweaked it. I've heard knowledgeable people (Brett Jones and Dan John) speak of a "goldilocks" bell or program for them. I think I have found my goldilocks program. What I did was add a couple of things to Strength Aerobics. Still set the timer for 30 mins, still do the other side after I'm ready after fast and loose drills.

It looks like this (single 32kg, left and right side):
1 swing
1 mid pull or high pull (depending on whats next)
1 clean or snatch
1 strict press, push press or jerk (strict presses often turn into push presses by the end)
1 rack or overhead squat (I was humbled yesterday by oh squats, first time attempting)
1 one arm row, renegade row or pushup (one arm rows seem to fit the best, has a good flow)

It is a great mixture of pushes and pulls, ballistics and grinds, hinges and a squat, etc. For me it is also the perfect amount of structure and variety. I can choose the movements and rest periods by how I'm feeling that day (feeling great? harder movements and/or less rest). I hate lunges otherwise I would add a lunge in there somewhere.

Today I did:
1 swing
1 high pull
1 snatch
1 strict press
1 rack squat
1 pushup

12 sets (1 set is left and right side, 12 total reps). 12,000 pounds of volume (added 1,700 pounds for the pushups). I've been getting between 10k and 16k per session this past week. I feel so good after doing it, even better than when I was doing S&S. I will stick with this for the foreseeable future with some double 32 swing/front squat days thrown in to keep strength up.

Last edited:
Today: 40 mins, no warmup

Swing
Mid pull
Clean
Jerk
Rack squat
Towel one arm row

19 sets each side, 16,188 pounds.

Towel row doesn't flow so well because I use a separate bell next to me. I think this is 6 days days in a row. Might take tomorrow off.

Scratch the rest day.

Warmup: all with 32

3x5 prying goblet squats
3x5 single leg deads (each side)
3x5 second bottoms up holds (each side)

30 mins :

Swing
Mid pull
Clean
Jerk
Rack squat (played around with jump squats, I like)
One arm row

14 sets each side, 11,928 pounds

Warmup: 3,195 pounds

3x5 goblets
3x5 double 32 deadlifts

Strength: 4,970 pounds

7x5 double 32 swings

Single 32 complex: 20 mins, 9 sets each side, 7,668 pounds

Swing
High pull
Snatch
Strict press
Rack squat
One arm row

15,833 total pounds

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom