all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Jan 5
Mace, neck work
Snatch-30x5 @ 36
Curl-3 ladders
Note-I think this the first time I’ve hit 30 NR with just 36 kilo snatches. Cool.

Jan 6
Rows-3 sets
Power push ups-3x8
Jump Squats-3x7
Ran 10 min, on a treadmill in the exercise room. I couldn’t last very long.
Note-First day of pediatric rotation. Super tired today. Almost didn’t do anything, but I figured I wouldn’t sleep very well if I truly did nothing. It worth noting that my sleep is going to be fairly impaired for the next 3 months or so, which means my volume is going to get dialed down a fair amount.

Jan 7
Late call day. No overnight call this rotation, though, so at least there’s that.

Jan 8
BJJ-1.25 hours, No-Gi
Mace
Power push ups-3x8
Snatch-12x6 @ 32
Note-Barely got there in time for class, but had time afterwards to get some work in. Normally I wouldn’t lift after BJJ, but class was notably less intense than usual today.

Jan 9
Mace
Snatch-20x5 @ 36
Curl-3 ladders
Note-Woke up before my alarm went off to a wife having some stout contractions. Now we have a little girl. Good times. The hospital room was too small for our son and me to spend the night in, so I got some training in before dinner when we got home in the evening.

Jan 10
Rows-5 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-2 sets
Power push ups-5x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-2 sets
Jump Squats-7x7
Ran 47 min

Jan 11
Mace
Power push ups-3x8
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-2 hours, Gi
Snatch-80 reps @ 24K in about 4:15
Note-It was another chill day in the BJJ gym, so I tacked on some glycolytic work at the end. I didn’t push it super hard, I walked up to the pain cave, but I didn’t go spelunking. My training is going to be pretty impaired for the next week and a half, and I likely wont make it to BJJ. I figured I’d hit the glycolysis button hard today.

I tried the starch pancake again today. Blood glucose didn’t get into the triple digits, and I was making some amount of ketones the next morning again. It’s hard to tell if it helped recovery since I’m pretty sleep deprived anyway, but it didn’t seem to do anything undesirable.

Jan 12
Rest day

Jan 13
Mace
Snatch-12x5 @ 36
Row- 3 ladders
Note-Today was all about just doing something instead of nothing. I think this mentality is going to define my life for the next little while, which is to be expected. I do like the rows (and curls) since they let me add a little extra pulling volume without the recovery demand of a full body movement.

Jan 14
Rows-3 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-1 set
Power push ups-3x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-1 set
Jump Squats-4x7

Jan 15
Hah. The “nothing” won today.

Jan 16
And again today. For what it’s worth, I’ve been battling a cold for the last couple days, so doing nothing might just be for the best.

Jan 17
Curls-4 ladders
Mace
Snatch-12x5 @ 36
Note-Feeling a bit better by the end of the day today. Did something.

Jan 18
Rows-3 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-2 sets
Power push ups-3 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-2 sets
Jump Squats-5x7
Ran 53 min

Jan 19
Mace
Snatch-28x5 @ 36
Curls-5 sets

Jan 20
Mace-3 sets
Push ups-3 sets
Snatch-6NR @ 32
BJJ-2 hours, Gi
Note-The last three days have been 3 fantastic training sessions. Talk about a light at the end of the tunnel.

Jan 21
Schedule induced rest day.

Jan 22
BJJ-1 hour, No-Gi

Jan 23
Rows-5 sets
Power push ups-5 sets
Jump Squats-5NR
Ran 54 min

Jan 24
Mace
Snatches-16NR @ 36
-later-
BJJ-1 hour, No-gi

Jan 25
Mace-3 sets
Power push ups-3 sets
Snatch-6NR @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, Gi

Jan 26
Rows-5 sets
Push ups-5 sets
Jump Squats-5NR
Ran 43 min

Jan 27
Rest day.

Jan 28
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-26NR @ 36

Jan 29
Mace-2 sets
Power push ups-2 sets
Snatch-4NR @ 32
BJJ- 1.75 hours, No-Gi

Jan 30
Rows-5 sets
Push ups-5 sets
Jump Squats-5NR
Walk-50 minutes. 30 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes of stairs, carrying the girl in a chest harness. Which isn’t saying much, as she hasn’t even broken 10 pounds yet.

Jan 31
Mace-2 sets
Snatch- 12NR @ 36
Note-Slammed for time. I set a timer for 15 minutes and this is what I got. Something > nothing.

Feb 1
Mace-2 sets
Power push ups-2 sets
Snatch-4NR @ 32
BJJ- 1.5 hours, Gi
Mace-2 long sets
Snatch-6NR @ 32
Rows-3 sets
Curls-2 ladders
Note-Feeling good today. We did a lot of live training in class today. Really highlighted the benefits of all that silly cardio that Al’s convinced me to do. I was definitely able to smash some guys I normally can’t after the first hour, just because I still had plenty of gas and they were smoked. More importantly, my endurance allowed me to maintain a high training quality for all 90 minutes. And then go do some curls.

Whew, been a while

Feb 2
Rows-5 sets
Push ups-5 sets
Jump Squats-5NR
Walked 59 min. First stairs for a while, then flat ground, with maybe 25 pounds total.

Feb 3
Mace-4 sets
Snatch- 30NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets
Note-Felt like the repeats were naturally going pretty quick, so I did the last 8 EMOM. Not really comfortable, but not bad.

Feb 4
Rest day

Feb 5
BJJ-1.75 hrs, No-Gi

Feb 6
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
Squat jumps-5NR
Curls-2 ladders
Run 59 min
Mace- 5 min

Feb 7
Mace-4 sets
Snatch- 20NR @ 36
Row-2 ladders
Walked the stair-20 minutes, with the baby and an extra 15 pounds

Feb 8
BJJ-2 hrs, Gi

Feb 9
Push ups-7 sets
Rows-7 sets
Squat jumps-7NR
Ran 41 minutes

Feb 10
Rest day, due to schedule

Feb 11
Push ups-5 sets. Gotta do something”

Feb 12
Mace-3 sets
Snatches-18NR @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, No-Gi

Feb 13
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-4 sets
Squat jumps-4NR
Walked 37 minutes w/ the kiddo+some weight, maybe 45 lbs total.

Feb 14
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-4 sets
Ran 25 minutes with 3 sprints
Note-I meant to have a longer training session today, but I managed my time poorly and reaped the consequences.

Feb 15
Mace-2 sets
Snatch-16NR @ 36
-break-
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-8NR @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, Gi
-break-
Push ups-3 sets
Curls-3 ladders
Note-Big work day. Also big carb day. Been feeling a bit sluggish the last two days, let’s see if a little exogenous glucose will be a good pick-me-up.

Feb 16
Push ups-7 sets
Rows-7 sets
Curls-3 ladders
Ran 67 minutes with 5 sprints
Note-Certainly feeling well recovered. I think the next thing for me to figure out is if there is a cap on the frequency of the carb dosing. Can I have some after every heavy BJJ session, or only once every week or so? Previously, I’ve felt pretty poorly after just a few consecutive days of very low carb intake, but that was totally disconnected from my training. I wonder what happens if I carb up after every big training session (1-2 times a week). My gut says “only good things,” but we will see.

Feb 17
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-10NR @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, Gi

Feb 18
Mace-3 sets
Snatch- 20NR @ 36
Curls-10 singles and 1 set

Feb 19
Rest day. Bushed.

Feb 20
Mace-3 sets
Snatch- 20NR @ 36
Curls-2 sets

Feb 20
Mace-3 sets
Snatch- 20NR @ 36
Curls- 2 sets

Feb 21
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-6NR @ 32
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi

Feb 22
Push ups-7 sets
Rows-7 sets
Squat jumps-7NR
Ran 48 minutes

Feb 23
Mace-4 sets
Snatch- 26NR @ 36
Curls-25 singles

Feb 24
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
Walked 36 min w/ 40 lbs

Feb 25
Mace-5 sets
Snatch- 10NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets
Note-Definitely a “something is better than nothing” session

Feb 26
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-6NR @ 36
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi

Feb 27
Push ups-5 sets
Chin up-5 sets
Ran 29 minutes
Note-The tank was definitely running on low at this point. The chin ups are because I was at the park, and mixed in my pre-run work with some play time. Good stuff. Not sure how to quantify set and reps for pushing a merry-go-round…

Feb 28
Rest day. Thought about training today. Then I thought again. Bleh. Took the kids to the hardware store instead.

Feb 29
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-16NR @ 36
BJJ-2.25 hours, Gi
Note-So glad I took yesterday off. I had a great training day today. I hit the snatches at my place before heading to the gym to roll. Had a great time rolling, even got the chance to roll with a couple purple belts for the last two rounds and gave them a hard time. Gave one of them a really hard time. Felt good, and was probably due in large part because I could keep rolling hard after a few rounds had gone by.

Feb 24
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
Walked 36 min w/ 40 lbs

Feb 25
Mace-5 sets
Snatch- 10NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets
Note-Definitely a “something is better than nothing” session

Feb 26
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-6NR @ 36
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi

Feb 27
Push ups-5 sets
Chin up-5 sets
Ran 29 minutes
Note-The tank was definitely running on low at this point. The chin ups are because I was at the park, and mixed in my pre-run work with some play time. Good stuff. Not sure how to quantify set and reps for pushing a merry-go-round…

Feb 28
Rest day. Thought about training today. Then I thought again. Bleh. Took the kids to the hardware store instead.

Feb 29
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-16NR @ 36
BJJ-2.25 hours, Gi
Note-So glad I took yesterday off. I had a great training day today. I hit the snatches at my place before heading to the gym to roll. Had a great time rolling, even got the chance to roll with a couple purple belts for the last two rounds and gave them a hard time. Gave one of them a really hard time. Felt good, and was probably due in large part because I could keep rolling hard after a few rounds had gone by.
@Snowman, great log, you are an inspiration! Csn you tell me what is NR? Number of repeats? I can see, for an example, 6NR, 10NR... Only 6 or 10 repeats? Really? Can you explain me how do you decide about snatch repeats from session to session? Thanks in advance!

@Snowman, great log, you are an inspiration! Csn you tell me what is NR? Number of repeats? I can see, for an example, 6NR, 10NR... Only 6 or 10 repeats? Really? Can you explain me how do you decide about snatch repeats from session to session? Thanks in advance!
You are 100% correct, NR means number of repeats. With snatches, this denotes sets of 5. I usually only do a handful of repeats prior to BJJ training (just to get a little bit extra volume), and then more on my dedicated A+A days.
In a perfect world, I would be doing anywhere between 20-40 repeats per A+A session, with 20% variation or greater from session to session. In reality, it varies based on how I feel. I typically just go until I feel like I'm losing power. These days, between kids and school, that's usually between 16-30 NR in a session. In my experience, this is enough to make progress, the but progress is pretty gradual. I'm also two weeks in to a 6 week surgery rotation, and surgery is known to be rough on people due to early mornings/long hours. My prediction is that my training will look a little puny for the next month, but will be enough to keep the needle moving, if only just ;) .

March 1
Rest day

March 2
Mace-3 sets
Snatch- 18NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets

March 3
Mace-2 sets
Snatch- 10NR @ 36

March 4
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-8NR @ 36
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi

March 5
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
Squat jumps-5 sets
Walked 23 min w/ 40 lbs

March 6
Rest day. Bleh. Lack of sleep, coupled with a bit of a nagging cold, and I’ve just been dragging for the last week. I took the 32 home from the BJJ gym since it seems like I’ve been working out at home and then going to the gym, and not working out there as often. I think that will give me a bit more flexibility, so that I can get in a little more volume on the days I have time.

March 7
Mace-5 sets
Snatch- 40NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets
Note-Dropped back to the 32 and actually got some A+A style volume in. It was nice to be able to do that even though I’m not at 100%.

March 8
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
KB back squats-5 sets
Ran 32 min
Note-Decided to start doing squats in order to hit the quads a little more, on account of I can do more with my butterfly guard (BJJ stuff) if my quads are a little stronger. I tried KB front squats now that I have both my 32 and 36 at the same place, but dang, that nails the trunk way harder than the legs.

March 9
Mace-5 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 32, 10NR @ 36
Curls-2 ladders
Note-It was actually sunny, so I even took the 32 up to the roof for the first part of the training session. Used the elevator.

March 10
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
KB back squats-5 sets
Note-Definitely need to work on the squatting. The weight is so far up/forward that I get all hyperextended, then butt wink at the bottom. Not ideal, but I’ll get it sorted out.

Didn’t do any locomotion today, mostly because I was in a hurry, but I’ve definitely been doing less than I would like. Upon reflection, I think this is mostly due to family stuff. If I lift, I can watchman son while he plays and burns off energy, which is a big help to everyone. If I go for a run, then it’s just me. If I go for a ruck I can bring my daughter, but giving my wife a break from the baby isn’t really as useful as giving her a break from the 4-year old.
I can either be more intentional about prioritizing locomotion, or lean into the situation by spending more time lifting (with the kid), and compensating for the reduced locomotion volume by doing more A+A volume. Right now, I’m leaning towards the latter, so long long as I can run/ruck enough to keep my feet and legs toughened up.

March 11
Mace- 3 sets
Zercher Squats-3 sets
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi
Note-There’s no more 32 at the BJJ gym, but there’s a barbell with a few plates. Not really heavy, but good enough.

March 12
Rest day. Probably should have taken yesterday off, but group activities wait for no man.

March 13
Mace-5 sets
Snatch-30NR @ 32, 8NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets

March 14
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi
Mace- 3 sets
Zercher Squats-3 sets
Snatch-40 reps @ 24 (10L+10R+10L+10R)
Note-I wasn’t going to do any non-BJJ training today, but I had to stop rolling 20-30 minutes early due to a bloody nose. Decided to tack on some strength work and a little dose of acid to make up for it.

This was that last class at my BJJ gym for a while. They are closing for the next week, and then re-evaluating on a week-by-week basis. I suspect that they will be closed for at least 2-4 weeks. Ultimately, this makes a lot of sense, and I’m kind of grateful that it saves me from having to make the hard decision to stop going myself. It’s one of those things that I could see myself agonizing and waffling over (I mean, BJJ is just about the worst sport ever when it comes to communicable disease, but it’s soooo much fun). Now that the decision has been made for me, it’s pretty easy to get behind. Hopefully my hiatus from grappling is brief.

March 15
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
KB back squats-5 sets
Run 36 min
Note-Getting the squats a little more figured out. Good stuff.

In other news, my surgery rotation has been called off two weeks early. It sounds like they’re going to offer some online training and allow us to finish the rotation. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to practice wound closure on my laptop, but I’m super grateful that we won’t have to repeat the rotation. If I’m being honest, I’m not all that sad about missing 2 weeks of surgery stuff. Not really my forte. Life moves on.

March 16
Mace-4 sets
KB shoulder carry-To the park and back
Snatch-50NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets

March 17
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
Run 18 min
Note-Short session

March 18
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 32, 4NR @ 36
BJJ drills-30min
Note-And here I thought I would be done with the solo drills once I moved to Seattle…

March 19
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
Run 48 min

March
Took the fam to a river up in the mountains. Lots of rocks along the river bank, so I couldn’t help myself but to have a little throwing session. My wife rolled her eyes, but she’s used to my antics at this point.
Shot put rock throws-6x3
KB swing overhead rock throws-6x3
Discus style throws-maybe 10-20
Good times.

Shot put rock throws-6x3
KB swing overhead rock throws-6x3
Discus style throws-maybe 10-20
Good times.

Do you have a history with the throws? That was my sport back in the day... there are few things as satisfying as watching something heavy fly away from you.

Do you have a history with the throws? That was my sport back in the day... there are few things as satisfying as watching something heavy fly away from you.
I did some throwing in high school track and field. Our team was so small you just sort of did whatever you wanted; I did shot, discus, and javelin for my first two years because I was too lazy to run. Eventually I dropped shot and discus, started running (and pole vaulting), but I kept throwing javelin just because it was so much fun. And frankly, it's not like I was competitive enough in anything that a little bit of distraction actually made a difference ROFL

I agree, it's a lot of fun to see something fly off and then impact.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom