all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
March 21
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-30NR @ 32, 12NR @ 36
Curls-4 sets
BJJ drills-25 min

March 22
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
KB back squats-4 sets
Run-23 min, with a fast 1 mile and 400 meter-I head off to ODS in a couple months, so I’m going to start playing with some more speed work. Gotta get that 1.5 mile time down to something respectable.
-later-
BJJ partner drills-1.5 hours
Note-I met a fellow student on this last rotation who had an interest in grappling (watches a lot of it, basically). He is kind of where I was a year and a half ago; he wants to learn, but doesn’t feel like he has time to really focus on it long enough to get any momentum. After my gym shut down, I reached out to him and asked him if he wanted a one-on-one beginner course. He gets to learn how move like a grappler, and I get to stay mentally engaged. We just put a couple yoga mats on top of the rubber mats in the exercise room and worked partner drills and techniques. The lack of real mats (and space) means we aren’t going to actually roll, but this is still way better than wriggling around on the floor by myself.

March 23
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 36
Curls-4 sets

The governor just issued a “stay at home” order for the state of Washington, effective for the next two weeks. We can still get groceries, gas, etc. Going for walks/runs is fine, and parks are still open, we just can’t meet and congregate. Most playgrounds were taped of a few days ago anyways. I think my one-on-one BJJ training is probably on the wrong side of the fine line; it’s not a “gathering” per se (which seems to be the main target of the order), but it’s still close contact between two people who wouldn’t normally be in close contact. I’ll chat with my buddy and see what he thinks.

March 24
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
Rucked 16 min w/ 30 lbs
Note-Pressed for time today

March 25
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 32, 10NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets
BJJ drills-1.5 hours
Note-Given the way things are developing, this is going to be our last drilling session for now.

March 26
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
Rucked 44 min w/ 40 lbs
Ran 18 min w/ 3x400 m

March 27
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-22NR 36
Curls-10 doubles

March 28
Rest day.

March 29
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
KB back squats-4 sets
Jogged down to a wooded area with an empty pack (10 minutes), cut some deadfall, and rucked back with 90 pounds of hobby fodder.

March 30
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-52NR 32
Curls-2 sets

March 31
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
BJJ solo drills-10 minutes
Ran 16 min

April 1
Mace-5 sets
Snatch-20NR 36
Curls-3 sets

April 2
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
Run 30 minutes w/ 4x400m

April 3
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
KB back squats-2 sets
Ruck-90 minutes w/ 50 lbs

April 4
Mace-5 sets
Snatch-22NR 32, 10NR 36
Curls-4 sets
BJJ solo drills-15 minutes

April 5
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Squats-3 sets
Rucked 34 min w/ 50 lbs
Note-I did goblet squats today instead of the KB back squats. I think I’m just going to do what I do with the rest of my accessory work, and refer to in a more generic way.

April 6
Rest day. As tends to happen when left to my own schedule, I seem to be driving a little harder than I probably should. An extra rest day here and there will do me some good.

April 7
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-4 sets
Squats-3 sets
Run-5x200m

April 8
Mace- 2 sets
Snatch-34NR @ 32
-later-
Mace- 2 sets
Snatch-24NR @ 32
Curls-4 sets
BJJ Solo drills-20 min

April 9
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Squats-3 sets
Run-27 minutes with 4x300m

April 10
Rucked 40 min w/ 50 lbs
Note-I was going to start my ODS training in earnest on Monday, but after yesterday's session I realized that I should probably hit a solid 5-7 days of de-loading before then.

April 11
Rest day

April 12
Snatch-20NR @ 32
Overhead swing throw-10 @ 32
Note-Went to a sandy beach. It was windy as al get out, but the boy had a great time and I got to throw stuff.

April 13
Went to a nearby sandy beach with the boy and threw a 16 kilo ‘bell around for 20 minutes while he played in the sand, then we walked in the surf for a bit. Mostly did shot put throws and one/two handed overhead throws.

April 14
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Squats-3 sets
Rucked 41 minutes with 50 lbs
Note-Ok, de-load [short] week is over, time to get back to training.

April 15
Mace-6 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets
BJJ solo drills-15 minutes

April 16
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-3 sets
Squats-3 sets
Run-31 minutes with a 1.5 mile time trial and 3x200m
Note- My time trial was 12:15. It was over a fairly hilly area, and I still had some gas in the tank when I was done. I’m hoping to get under 11 minutes by the time I hit ODS, but we’ll see. I'll do another one in about a week and a half, and probably drive to an actual flat track to do it.

April 17
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-30NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets
BJJ solo drills-12 minutes
Curl ups-3 sets (aka sit ups, PRT prep)

April 18
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-4 sets
Squats-4 sets
Ran 4x200m
Rucked 32 min w/ 50 lbs

April 19
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-40NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets
BJJ solo drills-17 minutes
Curl ups-2 sets
Note-Woke up with more junk in my sinuses than normal (seasonal allergies have been kicking up for a couple weeks), and by noon had a sinus headache and some sinus-y tooth pain. Bleh. Felt a lot better after a sinus rinse. Felt way better after I trained. I’ll dial things back a little bit while this runs its course. I think this has been brewing for a couple days as well.

April 20
Push ups-2 sets+3 sets GTG
Rows-2 sets
Squat jumps-2 sets
Note-Meant to do more, buut life got in the way...

April 21
Mace-5 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 32
Curls-4 sets
BJJ solo drills-16 minutes
Note-Feeling better, but still not back to normal.

April 22
Rest day. Whatever bug I got laid it on pretty darn good. I’m still functional, but I think training would do more harm than good.

April 23
Rucked 42 min with 50 lbs. Easy pace.

April 24
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-30NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets
BJJ solo drills-21 minutes
Curl ups- 2 sets

April 25
Did an unofficial pre-ODS Navy PRT with my classmate at a local high school track.
Max curl ups (sit ups with arms crossed over the chest) in 2 minutes-90
Max push ups in 2 minutes-80
1.5 mile run for time- 11:10
-later-
Push ups-2 sets
Rows-3 sets
Pistols-4 clusters
Note-I I feel pretty good about where I’m at as far as my PRT goes. As per the usual, my running is trailing behind push ups and sit ups. Based on the way the Navy brackets PRT performance, I would really like to knock 30 seconds of my run time. If I can do that, I’ll be plenty happy with my performance.

April 26
Mace-2 sets
Snatch-40NR @ 32
Curls-2 clusters
BJJ solo drills-13 minutes
-later (at the beach)-
Various kettlebell throws-8 clusters of 3 throws, w/ 16K
Note-I kept my heavy day down to 40NR for the second week in a row, because I knew I was going to go to the beach and do more. I definitely felt like I had put some work in by the end of the day, especially after yesterday’s PRT.

April 27
Push ups-2 sets
Rows-2 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
Walked 45 minutes with the little one in a carrier (so maybe 15 pounds).
Note-Tired today. Kept things veeery chill.

April 28
Mace-4 sets
Snatch-12NR @ 36
Curls-3 sets
Curl ups-2 sets
BJJ solo drills- 12 minutes
Note-Normally I would do 20NR for my easy day, but still taking it easier than normal. I think, between my lingering bug and hard training on the 25th and 26th I’ve over-reached a little bit. Gonna take it easy for another day or three.

April 29
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
Ran 16 min w/ 8x100 meters (sub-sprints)
Walked/stood around with the fam for 55 min w/ 40 pounds, testing out how well The Little One tolerates the pack. She did great, so I can take her for rucks more often now. Exciting times.
Note-Tested out my “hotel room” version of the push/pull/squat format I use for my accessory work. I think, should I have extra time and energy for personal PT, this routine plus A+A squat jumps should see me through just fine.

April 30
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 32
Curls-2 sets
BJJ solo drills- 22 minutes
Curl ups-2 sets

May 1
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
Ran 15 min w/ 8x100 meters (sub-sprints)
Rucked 49 min w/ 50 lbs

May 2
Went on a day trip to the boondocks with the family. Nice to get out of town.

May 3
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-26NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets
Curl ups-2 sets
BJJ solo drills- 11 minutes
Neck work- 2 rounds
Note: Still tired, but haven’t been sick for a while now, beside some sinus stuff that might just be allergies. Looking back, whatever bug I had peaked on April 22nd, which was almost two weeks ago. At this point I don’t think I’m dealing with a continued infection so much as some post-viral fatigue. That makes me think all sorts of thoughts about what kind of bug I had, but ultimately that’s neither here nor there. Things aren’t going to resolve any faster regardless of how much or how little training I do, so I guess I’ll just keep on pursuing as much high-quality volume as I can recover from. Just like always. And hope this crap resolves in another week or two.

May 4
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
Rucked 30 min w/ 50 lbs

May 5
Mace-5 sets
Snatch-20NR @ 32
Curls-3 clusters
Curl ups-2 sets
BJJ solo drills- 10 minutes
Neck work-2 rounds

May 6
Push ups-3 sets
Rows-3 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
Ran 18 minutes w/ 10x70 meters (sub-sprint speed)

May 7
Rest day. Feeling a little better than I was a few days ago, but still definitely not back to normal. Spent most of the day soaking up sun at a park.

May 8
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-26NR @ 32
Curls-3 sets
Curl ups-2 sets
BJJ solo drills- 10 minutes
Neck work-2 rounds

March 9-Travel day to Officer Development School: 2 flights, about 6-7 hours in the air.
Push ups-5 sets (done at the airport)
Rows-5 sets (done in my hotel room, in order to set the universe in balance)
Pistols-5 clusters (done at the airport)
10 minutes of running in place, crawling, and jump rope in my hotel room, just playing around. I might add in some grappling drills and just do a sort of low-intensity cardio medley in my room. Running in place is too boring, and everything else is a little too high intensity to do for an extended period of time
Note-They are quarantining us in a hotel for the first 2 weeks on base and having us do online training, then it sounds like we’ll be able to stop doing social distancing amongst ourselves.

March 10
Squat jumps-10x6
Power push ups-10x6
Power rows-10x6
Neck work-2 rnds

March 11
Push ups-5 sets
Rows-5 sets
Pistols-5 clusters
51 minutes of running back and forth across the room, crawling, jump rope, and BJJ drills

March 12
Squat jumps-8x6
Power push ups-8x6
Power rows-8x6
-later-
Ran 20 minutes w/ 5x75m and 3x200m (sub-sprint)
Neck work-2 rnds
Note-They let us out today! We spent some time practicing marching, and they let us do laps around the hotel. A run through the woods it was not, but I’ll take it and be happy.

March 13
Run 19 minutes
Rest day. Sort of. Still took advantage of our brief outside time to do some light running.

March 14
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-8 sets
Pistols-4 clusters
-later-
Group PT, 12 minute HIIT session, I took it easy and it was fine.
Ran 15 min w/ 1x800m
Note-I feel like I’ve had a pulling deficiency lately, so I’m going to rectify that.

March 15

One of the guys has some bands, so I borrowed them and mess around with bands and my ring handles that I brought. I wanted to see if I could find a substitute for squat jumps; if I do them too often it bugs my knees.
Band squats-5x10
Band DL-10x10
Power PU-8x6
Band Rows-8x6
Neck work-2 rounds
Band curls-3 sets (yeah, baby)
Curl ups-2 sets
Note-The bands are a little funky, but they’re better than nothing. I like them for fast rows. I was hoping the banded deadlifts or squats would be a good candidate for A+A training. The deadlift sort of is, but the band pulls my feet in and rubs against the outside of my knee. I was hyped up about figuring out something like the X3 bar system, but I don’t have a platform to stand on, and I think that is a key part of the system. I think you could build an X3 mimic with a wooden platform, so I might look into that. The kettlebell is super portable over land, but it would be nice to have something I can fly with.

March 16
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-8 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
-later-
Ran 30 min w/ 1x800, 1x400, and a pretty tame close sprint workout

March 17
Rest-ish day.
Push ups-4 sets
Planks-2 sets
Note-The Navy is switching from curl ups to planks. I was under the impression that the switch would happen later this year, but it sounds like they are implementing it now. I’m not sad about out.

March 18
Band DL-15x8
Power push ups-6x6
Band Row-4 sets
Band curl-1 set
Neck work-2 rounds
-later-Class PT
44 burpees for time
12 minute plank workout
Note-Finally figured out how to make the bands work. Hell yeah.

March 19
-Class PT-
Push ups-220 total
-later-
Row-4 sets
Pistols-2 clusters
Grip work-3 sets
Ran about 15 minutes, with 1x1500m

March 20
Squat jumps-3 sets
Power push ups-3 sets
Power rows-5 sets
Grip work-2 sets
Neck work-2 rounds
Planks-2 sets
-later-
Ran 15 minutes
Note-Watched the Navy nutrition briefing today. I may not be getting enough fiber :cool:.

March 14
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-8 sets
Pistols-4 clusters
-later-
Group PT, 12 minute HIIT session, I took it easy and it was fine.
Ran 15 min w/ 1x800m
Note-I feel like I’ve had a pulling deficiency lately, so I’m going to rectify that.

March 15

One of the guys has some bands, so I borrowed them and mess around with bands and my ring handles that I brought. I wanted to see if I could find a substitute for squat jumps; if I do them too often it bugs my knees.
Band squats-5x10
Band DL-10x10
Power PU-8x6
Band Rows-8x6
Neck work-2 rounds
Band curls-3 sets (yeah, baby)
Curl ups-2 sets
Note-The bands are a little funky, but they’re better than nothing. I like them for fast rows. I was hoping the banded deadlifts or squats would be a good candidate for A+A training. The deadlift sort of is, but the band pulls my feet in and rubs against the outside of my knee. I was hyped up about figuring out something like the X3 bar system, but I don’t have a platform to stand on, and I think that is a key part of the system. I think you could build an X3 mimic with a wooden platform, so I might look into that. The kettlebell is super portable over land, but it would be nice to have something I can fly with.

March 16
Push ups-4 sets
Rows-8 sets
Pistols-3 clusters
-later-
Ran 30 min w/ 1x800, 1x400, and a pretty tame close sprint workout

March 17
Rest-ish day.
Push ups-4 sets
Planks-2 sets
Note-The Navy is switching from curl ups to planks. I was under the impression that the switch would happen later this year, but it sounds like they are implementing it now. I’m not sad about out.

March 18
Band DL-15x8
Power push ups-6x6
Band Row-4 sets
Band curl-1 set
Neck work-2 rounds
-later-Class PT
44 burpees for time
12 minute plank workout
Note-Finally figured out how to make the bands work. Hell yeah.

March 19
-Class PT-
Push ups-220 total
-later-
Row-4 sets
Pistols-2 clusters
Grip work-3 sets
Ran about 15 minutes, with 1x1500m

March 20
Squat jumps-3 sets
Power push ups-3 sets
Power rows-5 sets
Grip work-2 sets
Neck work-2 rounds
Planks-2 sets
-later-
Ran 15 minutes
Note-Watched the Navy nutrition briefing today. I may not be getting enough fiber :cool:.
As a recently retired 28 year Navy vet enjoy your career, please ignore the nutritional advice. Great job getting in what you can get in.

As a recently retired 28 year Navy vet enjoy your career, please ignore the nutritional advice. Great job getting in what you can get in.
Haha yes, I think I'll go ahead and think independently, at least in that regard. I knew we would be getting fed poorly during the 2 week quarantine period, so I made sure to bring some of my own food.

What did you do in the Navy? I have 8 years of prior service, but it was in the Army National Guard. Switching over to the Navy has been a interesting combination "been there, done that" and "I've never heard of this before." This is the first time I've been active duty with the Navy since signing on.

Haha yes, I think I'll go ahead and think independently, at least in that regard. I knew we would be getting fed poorly during the 2 week quarantine period, so I made sure to bring some of my own food.

What did you do in the Navy? I have 8 years of prior service, but it was in the Army National Guard. Switching over to the Navy has been a interesting combination "been there, done that" and "I've never heard of this before." This is the first time I've been active duty with the Navy since signing on.
I was a Boatswains Mate for most of my career. I bounced between ships and Riverine work, had a blast. Best of luck to you, anything you need please let me know.

Are you in Pensacola?

I was a Boatswains Mate for most of my career. I bounced between ships and Riverine work, had a blast. Best of luck to you, anything you need please let me know.
So you were actually doing real Navy stuff, sounds like a good time.
Thanks, will do!

Are you in Pensacola?
Newport, for ODS. Then back to medical school for another year until I graduate, and after that I'll be active duty for the foreseeable future.

So you were actually doing real Navy stuff, sounds like a good time.
Thanks, will do!

Newport, for ODS. Then back to medical school for another year until I graduate, and after that I'll be active duty for the foreseeable future.
Newport is cool, I stay there when I visit my family in MA. I used to enjoy the running trail along the bay. If things eventually open up Thame Street is pretty nice.

Newport is cool, I stay there when I visit my family in MA. I used to enjoy the running trail along the bay. If things eventually open up Thame Street is pretty nice.
It's a nice area, from what I've seen. I'm not optimistic that we'll get much in the way of liberty, though. At this point I'm just grateful that they haven't canceled training altogether.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom