all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
No more computer access for the next 3 weeks, so no more detailed entries for that time. I'll update stuff every now and again.

Alright, time for a synopsis of the last few weeks. We did class PT most mornings, which was usually either a self-paced run (with or without intervals) or some kind of HIIT calisthenics. I did a little bit of my own stuff here and there, mostly rows with bands, but also some neck and grip work. Some extra push ups and planks when I felt like I could absorb the training. Right at the end I did an A+A session with technical stand ups and sprawls that ended up being really good, so I’m going to keep that in mind for next time.

If nothing else, it was a good reminder of how much sleep affects how much training volume I can handle. We had our PFT this last Monday, and I improved a little. My 1.5 mile run dropped from 11:10 to 10:42, and my push ups (2 minute max) went from 80to 89. We used the new version of the PFT that uses the plank, so I don’t have anything to compare to the curl ups. The plank was done before the push ups, so I stopped at 2:16 in order to avoid blowing out my shoulders and trunk too much before the push ups. In retrospect, I could have pushed it a little more. Strategy data for next time.

I definitely missed having a “big pull”. I did band deadlifts for a while, using a chair as a base plate, but the edges of the chair were a little too sharp and were starting to damage the bands. I was getting all hot and happy about the possibilities of doing band-only deadlifts once I got home, but I think that might be a bit of a pipe dream. That said, I still plan on doing lots of band rows and curls. The way the bands tighten up at the end of the ROM seems like a good way to train bent-arm pulling for grappling. You can pull fast and explosively at first, and then you have to fight like hell to keep the pull locked in.

I think I lost about 5 pounds or a little more, putting me back around 160. Definitely could have been worse. I was able to maintain an almost-zero-carb diet. Turns out that you can order summer sausage from Amazon, so that helped. I would just eat whatever meat/eggs/cheese I could get at the chow hall, and then supplement with the extra food from Amazon (and the commissary, once we were allowed access) as needed. Things actually weren’t too rough on this front. Definitely going to restock my pemmican stores once I get home.

Alright, time for a synopsis of the last few weeks. We did class PT most mornings, which was usually either a self-paced run (with or without intervals) or some kind of HIIT calisthenics. I did a little bit of my own stuff here and there, mostly rows with bands, but also some neck and grip work. Some extra push ups and planks when I felt like I could absorb the training. Right at the end I did an A+A session with technical stand ups and sprawls that ended up being really good, so I’m going to keep that in mind for next time.

If nothing else, it was a good reminder of how much sleep affects how much training volume I can handle. We had our PFT this last Monday, and I improved a little. My 1.5 mile run dropped from 11:10 to 10:42, and my push ups (2 minute max) went from 80to 89. We used the new version of the PFT that uses the plank, so I don’t have anything to compare to the curl ups. The plank was done before the push ups, so I stopped at 2:16 in order to avoid blowing out my shoulders and trunk too much before the push ups. In retrospect, I could have pushed it a little more. Strategy data for next time.

I definitely missed having a “big pull”. I did band deadlifts for a while, using a chair as a base plate, but the edges of the chair were a little too sharp and were starting to damage the bands. I was getting all hot and happy about the possibilities of doing band-only deadlifts once I got home, but I think that might be a bit of a pipe dream. That said, I still plan on doing lots of band rows and curls. The way the bands tighten up at the end of the ROM seems like a good way to train bent-arm pulling for grappling. You can pull fast and explosively at first, and then you have to fight like hell to keep the pull locked in.

I think I lost about 5 pounds or a little more, putting me back around 160. Definitely could have been worse. I was able to maintain an almost-zero-carb diet. Turns out that you can order summer sausage from Amazon, so that helped. I would just eat whatever meat/eggs/cheese I could get at the chow hall, and then supplement with the extra food from Amazon (and the commissary, once we were allowed access) as needed. Things actually weren’t too rough on this front. Definitely going to restock my pemmican stores once I get home.
Have you found out where you will be finishing school or are you doing that back at home?

Have you found out where you will be finishing school or are you doing that back at home?
I'm headed back to Seattle for the rest of 4th year (until spring of 2021); most of my rotations are based in the Seattle area with one at NMC San Diego. I'll start applying to residency programs in a couple months, and I should know where I'm going to residency by the end of this year. Besides my rotation in San Diego, I won't be doing much in the way of Navy stuff until I start residency. With any luck, that will be in either San Diego or Camp Pendleton.

June 13
First day back home.
Mace-2 sets
Snatch-10NR @ 32
-later-
Mace-2 sets
Neck work-2 rounds
BJJ-Gi-1.25 hours
Note-So many good things today.

First, snatches. Felt a little mechanical and not as smooth, but the ‘bell was moving fast and everything felt sound.

Second, mace swings. Pretty similar to snatches. Felt pretty good, just not quite as smooth.

Third, BJJ. I am so happy to be able to train again. That is all.

June 14
Band rows-4NR
Sprawls-8NR
Rucked 53 minutes with 50 lbs
Note-Went for a walk, got some sun. Biceps were a little sore from snatches. Today was a good day.

June 15
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-16NR @ 32K
Curls-2 sets
-later-
Mace-2 sets
BJJ-Gi-1.5 hours
Note-Another good day. Still some bicep tendon soreness from Saturday. Took about 10NR to fade away. I’m trying to practice patience with how quickly I go back to my snatching volume and how soon I reintroduce the 36.

June 16
Rows-2 sets
PU-2 sets
Run 17 min w/ 5x15 second pickups
Rucked 48 min w/ 50 lbs
Note-With the accessory work, I’ll use ‘sets’ to denote strength endurance work, and ‘NR’ to denote power work. Also, with clinical rotations starting up in a little over a week, I’m going to cut back on the accessory work. Time to focus on the high yield stuff.

June 17
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-24NR @ 32K
Neck-2 rounds
-later-
BJJ-Gi-1.75 hours
Note-The hands have definitely softened up during officer training. The irony is not lost on me. They were barking at me during the last couple NR. I was starting to lose power by that time anyways. Bleh. I guess it takes more than three sessions to make up for 5 weeks off.

June 18
Rows-5NR
PU-5NR
Rucked 51 min w/ 50 lbs

June 19
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-10NR @ 32K, 8NR @ 36K
Neck-2 rounds
BJJ Solo drills-10 min
Note-I didn’t really have a plan for reintroducing the 36, but today was a low volume day and the 32 was moving fast. The 36 seemed like it was humming right along.

June 20
Mace-2 sets
Snatch-10NR @ 32K
-later-
BJJ-1.75 hours
Note-Wasn’t really feeling it today, but figured I’d get some snatches in anyways. Of course, once I started rolling, all was well.

June 21
Rows-6 sets
PU-3 sets
Rucked 36 min w/ 45 lbs
Run 24 min w/ 5x20 second pickups

June 22
Assorted KB throws-30x3 @ 20K
-later-
BJJ-1.5 hours
Note-Went to the beach, got sunburned, and threw around a kettlebell, as per the usual. One nice thing about the throws is that it takes a few seconds to walk over the where the ‘bell lands, pull it out of the sand, and set up for the next throw. Ends up making each set a cluster set. And be keeping it down to 3 throws per set, the power production stays high.

June 23
Rest day. First one since I got back. Recovery has been good.

June 24
Mace-2 sets
Snatch-22NR @ 32K
BJJ Solo drills-10 min
Neck-2 rounds

June 25
Rows-6NR
Sprawls-6NR
Ran 41 min w/ 5x20 second pickups
Note-Didn’t ruck because my back was still all burned up from beach day. Time for a nutritional digression.

I generally avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) for two reasons, both having to do with the inherent chemical instability of PUFA’s. For one thing, they don’t burn as clean in the mitochondria, producing free radicals and excess heat. Another is that the fatty acids that you eat ultimately get used for lipid bilayer membranes; things like cell membranes, cholesterol carrier membranes (LDL, IDL, HDL), liposomal membranes, etc. Placing chemically unstable fatty acids in membranes often results in more inflammation and poorer tissue quality. Omega-6 PUFA’s also stimulate inflammatory processes through different mechanisms as well, but both O-6 and O-3 are inherently unstable.

Now, I recognize that, for certain structural and signaling molecules, a small amount of PUFA is essential. I’m certainly not denying that, but given how much fat I eat, I still get all the PUFA’s I need even if I try to skew my intake towards saturated fatty acids as much as possible.

What does this have to do with anything? I haven’t had a real sunburn for over two years. I started eating carnivore in the winter of early 2018, and since then the worst that’s ever happened was I would take my pale body outside in the sun for a few hours, get a little red and tender, and then the next day I would be back to normal, but just a little more tan. No real burn. No real pain. No peeling. No problems.

For the last three weeks before I came back to Seattle, a significant portion of my food came from a Navy chow hall. In other words, I ate a lot of chicken and fish. The chicken was likely grain fed, and the fish was likely farmed. Animals with crap diets and crap fatty acid profiles. Then I came home, spent 90 minutes shirtless in the sun, and my entire back turned red. And stayed that way. My back hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep on it one night. Of course, now it’s peeling and my wife gets to delight in plucking strips of dead skin off my back. So at least there’s that. Thankfully it hasn’t blistered.

The outer layer of our skin turns over fast. It took just 3 weeks of increased PUFA intake for me to see a significant reduction in epidermal tissue quality; or at least a marked susceptibility to damage from UV radiation. There are other tissues that take years to turn over and be replaced. This is likely one reason why people who improve their diets continue to see beneficial changes for years and years. It takes years to replace the tissues made with low-quality nutrients. The eyes may be the window to the soul, but the skin is the window to your tissues. You are what you eat.

June 26
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-22NR @ 32K
KBS-Overspeed-9NR @ 36
BJJ Solo drills-10 min
Neck-2 rounds

That's some fascinating theory on nutrition and tissue quality, @Snowman . Do you have some background in biology?

Say I wanted my skin to... I don't know... stop bullets. What should I eat? ;)
Yes, and I really should qualify the above with the statement that it really is all theory. I can empirically state what I ate and when, as well as the fact that I got sunburned and how unusual it is, but all the cellular biology stuff is theoretical.
I do have a background in biology, but I have have very little academic training in nutrition. I have a bachelor's in Cell Biology and Neuroscience (although I kept it light on the neuroscience), and just started my 4th year of medical school. Nutrition and training have been areas of personal interest over the last 8 years or so, but I the amount of formal nutrition education I've received is probably less than 10 hours. To be honest, though, I'm not super impressed with the formal nutrition training that's out there.

With regard to ballistic impermeability...I'm thinking lot's of iron. Maybe just go around licking the floor at welding shops? All the excess metal will deposit in your skin and you'll be good to go. When your skin starts to turn color, you'll know you're getting there. It wouldn't hurt to take up golfing in thunderstorms near nuclear power plants, either.

June 27
Rows-3 sets
Push ups-3 sets
Rucked 32 minutes with 50lbs
Note-Also helped some friends move today. Moving out of a 3rd floor apartment and into a split level home (thankfully not the other way around).

June 28
Mace-3 sets
Snatch-14NR @ 32K
KBS-Overspeed-6NR @ 36
BJJ solo drills-10 minutes
Neck work-2 ends

June 29
Rows-6NR
Sprawls-6NR
Ran 20 min w/ 5x20 second pickups
-later-
BJJ-1.5 hours

June 30
Rest day. Mostly due to schedule stuff. I’m not mad; it’s nice to have a schedule again.

July 1
Mace-1 set
Snatch-4NR @ 24K
BJJ-1.25 hours
Snatch-16NR @ 32K (last 12 EMOM)

July 2
Rows-3 sets

PU-3 sets
Rucked 51 min w/ 50 lbs and mixd in 5x2 pull ups
Oooh boy. Things got busy.

July 3
KB throws at the beach w/ 16 kg (final decision, both 16 and 20 work, but 20 is better)

July 4
10NR snatches

July 5
Snatches and swings-20NR

July 6
BJJ

July 7
Tuesday night church group is starting again, meeting on the rooftop of a friend’s apartment. Therefore, Tuesdays will be a rest day for the foreseeable future. Worth it.

July 8
More snatches and swings-25NR.
When I’m pressed for time, I like the rhythm of doing 5NR EMOM (4NR snatches, 1NR overspeed swings), then taking 2-3 minutes to rest up, then hitting another 5NR, until I run out of time.

July 9
Rows, Push ups, and a 30 minute run with the usual 5x20 pickups

July 10
Did BJJ drills first, as a warmup, then mace work and my first high volume session for while (40NR). Hands held up alright.

With the way things have busied up, most of my training is sort of “catch as catch can” in nature. Trying to hit BJJ once or twice a week, a decent ruck once a week, and a running session with pick ups once a week. The rest will likely be whatever volume of A+A I have time for. Another LSD session per week would be nice, but given how I’m usually supervising 1-2 kids while I work out, it’s not especially realistic.

July 11
Snatches-8NR @ 24k
BJJ-1 hour

July 12
Rows-6NR
Sprawls-6NR
Rucked 67 min w/ 50 lbs

July 13
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-16NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-4NR @ 36K

July 14
Rows-3 sets
Push ups-3 sets

July 15
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-16NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-4NR @ 32K

July 16
Mace-2 sets
BJJ-1.75 hours
Note-Good news/bad news sort of night. Good new; I rolled with a purple belt and was getting some good licks in. Bad news; he used an Ezekial choke to sweep me and broke my hyoid bone. It’s not bad, just a little pain when I swallow. It’s definitely broken, though. I know what it’s supposed to feel like when I squeeze it, and it feels much squishier and sounds much crunchier than it should. It feels like the break is on the left side, where the wing thins out.

July 17
Rows-4NR
Sprawls-4NR
Snatches-12NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-3NR @ 32K
Ran 28 min w/ 5x20 second pickups
Note-Had an appointment scheduled for a COVID antibody test at the student health center today, so I called them early to set up a twofer and get an x-ray of my neck. The radiology report isn’t back, but it looks pretty benign. Nothing is clearly displaced, which means that the tissue surrounding the bone has done a good job keeping things aligned. It should heal fine on it’s own as long as I don’t jack it up too bad in the next 4-6 weeks. Worst case scenario, the pieces don’t marry together, and I just have a false joint there. Which isn’t really an issue.

With the way things have busied up, most of my training is sort of “catch as catch can” in nature. Trying to hit BJJ once or twice a week, a decent ruck once a week, and a running session with pick ups once a week. The rest will likely be whatever volume of A+A I have time for. Another LSD session per week would be nice, but given how I’m usually supervising 1-2 kids while I work out, it’s not especially realistic.

July 11
Snatches-8NR @ 24k
BJJ-1 hour

July 12
Rows-6NR
Sprawls-6NR
Rucked 67 min w/ 50 lbs

July 13
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-16NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-4NR @ 36K

July 14
Rows-3 sets
Push ups-3 sets

July 15
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-16NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-4NR @ 32K

July 16
Mace-2 sets
BJJ-1.75 hours
Note-Good news/bad news sort of night. Good new; I rolled with a purple belt and was getting some good licks in. Bad news; he used an Ezekial choke to sweep me and broke my hyoid bone. It’s not bad, just a little pain when I swallow. It’s definitely broken, though. I know what it’s supposed to feel like when I squeeze it, and it feels much squishier and sounds much crunchier than it should. It feels like the break is on the left side, where the wing thins out.

July 17
Rows-4NR
Sprawls-4NR
Snatches-12NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-3NR @ 32K
Note-Had an appointment scheduled for a COVID antibody test at the student health center today, so I called them early to set up a twofer and get an x-ray of my neck. The radiology report isn’t back, but it looks pretty benign. Nothing is clearly displaced, which means that the tissue surrounding the bone has done a good job keeping things aligned. It should heal fine on it’s own as long as I don’t jack it up too bad in the next 4-6 weeks. Worst case scenario, the pieces don’t marry together, and I just have a false joint there. Which isn’t really an issue.
So I’m thinking of going back to BJJ and was wondering if you were seeing infections in any of your classmates or hearing of it. Being a doctor, you’re the best person to ask. Great work!

I had my hyoid bone broken from a bow and arrow choke on me before. I didn’t think much of it at the time as it was just a painful choke then but it felt weird and I thought it was like a lodged fish bone instead.

Got referred to an ENT and at some point he looked at me perplexed and said, “did u get hit or something” and that’s when the penny dropped.

Good news - it healed eventually, took a while.

July 11
Snatches-8NR @ 24k
BJJ-1 hour

July 12
Rows-6NR
Sprawls-6NR
Rucked 67 min w/ 50 lbs

July 13
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-16NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-4NR @ 36K

July 14
Rows-3 sets
Push ups-3 sets

July 15
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-16NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-4NR @ 32K

July 16
Mace-2 sets
BJJ-1.75 hours

July 17
Rows-4NR
Sprawls-4NR
Snatches-12NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-3NR @ 32K

So I’m thinking of going back to BJJ and was wondering if you were seeing infections in any of your classmates or hearing of it. Being a doctor, you’re the best person to ask. Great work!
Hah, I'm just an almost-doctor, but that's a fair question. I don't know of any COVID infection among any of the folks in my gym but it's still probably a moderate/high risk sort of activity. It seems like proximity and airflow are a fairly big deal for viral spread. It's apparently pretty darn hard to spread it outside, even at relatively close proximity. But it sounds like close proximity indoors, with lots of talking, is a good way to spread it; not surprisingly you see more young folks get it after bars open up in a given region (it doesn't end up being that severe for most of them, obviously). So back to BJJ. My gym is in a pretty large warehouse space, with fans, and the mats have an 8 foot grid pattern marked out to help people more or less space out. You pick a training partner at the beginning, and that's who you stay with the whole class. After class, if people want to roll with other people, they can. I would say that my infection risk at BJJ is lower than at a bar (because there's more space and air movement), but more than a lot of other activities (it's still inside, and I'm in really close proximity with 2-3 people each time I go). I certainly wouldn't call it a COVID-safe activity, like most outdoor activities (although a friend of mine apparently saw some people grappling in the park, so that's one way to do it).
Personally, I justify it based on the fact that I'm screened every morning before I ever see a patient, and I'm wearing a mask during any interactions with patients or co-workers. At home, my family is young and I don't really have any old or otherwise high-risk folks I hang out with. I definitely could get COVID from BJJ class, and I'm probably a little more likely to get it there than from the grocery store. If I do get it, there are measures in place to prevent passing it to others. For me, the risk isn't enough for me to stop living my life, but everyone's situation is different.

I had my hyoid bone broken from a bow and arrow choke on me before. I didn’t think much of it at the time as it was just a painful choke then but it felt weird and I thought it was like a lodged fish bone instead.

Got referred to an ENT and at some point he looked at me perplexed and said, “did u get hit or something” and that’s when the penny dropped.

Good news - it healed eventually, took a while.
Good to hear that it healed well. Did it heal in once piece? Did you have to stop training for a while?

Mine basically doesn't hurt at all. I rolled with a couple guys yesterday after explaining why I wanted to roll without chokes or neck frames, and it seemed to go fine. As long as I don't get choked or take a forearm to the throat for a while, I doubt I'll cause further damage. If I do keep training, though, there's a better chance that the bone pieces will never really fuse together, and I'll end up with a little "joint" there. Which isn't really a big deal, as far as I can tell. So I'm just trying to run the risk/benefit calculus to decide how to engage in training for the next 6 weeks.

Good to hear that it healed well. Did it heal in once piece? Did you have to stop training for a while?

Mine basically doesn't hurt at all. I rolled with a couple guys yesterday after explaining why I wanted to roll without chokes or neck frames, and it seemed to go fine. As long as I don't get choked or take a forearm to the throat for a while, I doubt I'll cause further damage. If I do keep training, though, there's a better chance that the bone pieces will never really fuse together, and I'll end up with a little "joint" there. Which isn't really a big deal, as far as I can tell. So I'm just trying to run the risk/benefit calculus to decide how to engage in training for the next 6 weeks.

I stopped training for about 4 weeks (ie until i could not feel any pain or even discomfort). It feels like there is a slight asymmetry but nothing crazy so yes there is a “little joint” as you mentioned.

Also I learnt not to tough out bow and arrow chokes haha.

I stopped training for about 4 weeks (ie until i could not feel any pain or even discomfort). It feels like there is a slight asymmetry but nothing crazy so yes there is a “little joint” as you mentioned.

Also I learnt not to tough out bow and arrow chokes haha.
Alright, that's useful to know. Thanks ?

July 18
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-12NR @ 24K
BJJ-1.75 hours
Note-No throat pain today. Went through the drill, things went well, and then went ahead and rolled with a couple guys I trusted. No chokes, no framing against the neck. They were fine with it, and it didn’t seem to flair anything up. If I take the “continue rolling but with strict rules” approach, I think there is a low likelihood that anything too bad will happen. But. There is a greater than normal likelihood that the bone fragments won’t come together, and will heal as two separate bones. As far as I can tell, there’s no real down side to that. I will continue to ponder this, but I am strongly leaning towards continuing to train, in a judicious manner, and letting the chips fall where they may.

July 19
Rucked 50 min w/ 45 lbs
Ruck pull ups-3 sets
Ruck push ups-3 sets

July 20
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-24NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-6NR @ 32K

July 21
Rows-3 sets
Push ups-3 sets

July 22
Rows-6NR
Sprawls-6NR
Ran 31 min w/ 5x30 second pickups
Rucked 38 minutes w/ 50 lbs

July 23
BJJ-1 hour
Snatch-20NR @ 32K, on the 0:45
Note-I was late to BJJ today and missed 30 minutes of drilling. Figured I’d make up for it for some quick snatches when I got home. I set the interval shorter than normal and planned to stop when I started slowing down, which I assumed would be around 10NR. I was pleasantly surprised that I made it to 20NR, and only stopped because it was getting late. I psyched myself up for the last 3-4 sets, but power stayed high the whole time. Definitely couldn’t have done that 6-9 months ago, or at least not as comfortably.

July 24
Rucked 64 min w/ 35 lbs
-later-
BJJ drills-5 min
Mace-2 sets
Snatches-20NR @ 32k
KBS-overspeed-5NR @ 32K
Note-Wasn’t planning on rucking today, but I got home early and baby girl was real fussy. She loves it when I take her for walks, so I figured it was a “two birds” sort of day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom